aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1067512 times)

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #3720 on: September 29, 2023, 09:48:03 am »
There are lot of unresearchable items in XPiratez. You need different research topic to buy them and gain bootypedia article.
For the "Cattle Prod" it is "Contacts: Smugglers".
Xpedia for help: https://xpedia.netlify.app/##STR_CATTLE_PROD

Offline Dispector

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: September 29, 2023, 09:53:38 pm »
There are lot of unresearchable items in XPiratez. You need different research topic to buy them and gain bootypedia article.
For the "Cattle Prod" it is "Contacts: Smugglers".
Xpedia for help: STR_CATTLE_PROD

What I'm talking about is this. As far as I can see, every item has at least two entries, looking like this:

[item_name]
[item_name]

E.g., Govt pistol looks like Govt Pistol (which describes how I can get research, which item I have to research to get and and whether this item gets destroyed and how I can get the tech for free) and Govt Pistol , which shows what research I require to buy it and how I can produce it.

As far as I understand, I get research entry [item_name] when I research an item or get information about it in some other way, and I automatically get an entry [item_name] after that.

In my case, it is true for all items I've seen so far, but not the Cattle Prod. Even if I cannot research an item right now, I can see what I have to do in order to do it in Tech Tree Viewer. For cattle prod, there is only one entry in the tech tree viewer (see screenshot).

I even edited the savefile to get the the Contact: Smugglers tech - and now I can by the cattle prod, but I still don't have the entry for it and cannot view its characteristics. When I specifically add the entry for the cattle prod (STR_CATTLE_PROD) into my savefile, it doesn't appear in the Bootypedia and I don't get to see the item's characteristics.

I don't care that much about the item itself, I am just curious if it is normal for the current build (Dioxine_XPiratez_N5.2.1) or specifically my problem, If it an issue only I run into (maybe due to incorrect installation), there may be other issues I haven't noticed.

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: September 30, 2023, 10:54:48 am »
Code: [Select]
[item_name]
[item_name] [i]
Only after quoting I was able to see this "i" stuff... There are different lines for researching, buying and production. And cattle prod can only be bought.

I even edited the savefile to get the the Contact: Smugglers tech - and now I can by the cattle prod, but I still don't have the entry for it and cannot view its characteristics. When I specifically add the entry for the cattle prod (STR_CATTLE_PROD) into my savefile, it doesn't appear in the Bootypedia and I don't get to see the item's characteristics.
There is a separate section for ufopedia articles in save files. STR_CATTLE_PROD needs to go there, probably.

You other message parts ar too cryptic for my understanding...

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: September 30, 2023, 11:43:38 am »
I don't care that much about the item itself, I am just curious if it is normal for the current build (Dioxine_XPiratez_N5.2.1) or specifically my problem, If it an issue only I run into (maybe due to incorrect installation), there may be other issues I haven't noticed.

Hi,

yes, it is completely normal.

Offline Dispector

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: September 30, 2023, 01:05:25 pm »
Only after quoting I was able to see this "i" stuff...

Oh, yeah, of course, my bad. I rarely post on forums, so I tend to forget about how formatting works.

There is a separate section for ufopedia articles in save files. STR_CATTLE_PROD needs to go there, probably.

As far as I understand, researched techs (including items) go under "discovered:" in the save file. When I add strings for any other item, they do appear as researched, entries for them appear in the Bootypedia and I can view their characteristics in inventory. When I add STR_CATTLE_PROD, none of this happens.

Hi,

yes, it is completely normal.

So, to clarify, there is just no way to get Cattle Prod researched and obtain its entry?
Thanks.

Offline Scamps

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: September 30, 2023, 01:11:20 pm »
Cattle prod is researched by the start of the game.

Edit: also you can't produce one (only buy), so no "m" tech.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 01:13:10 pm by Scamps »

Offline Ultimoos

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: September 30, 2023, 01:19:42 pm »
Cattle prod is researched by the start of the game.

Edit: also you can't produce one (only buy), so no "m" tech.

Depends on what you consider "start of the game".
You get cattle prod research when you research "contact smugglers". And that is more or less 6 months into the game.
So, you might be thinking about stun baton.

Offline Scamps

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: September 30, 2023, 01:23:52 pm »
Indeed it is not. My memory failed me.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: September 30, 2023, 02:37:53 pm »
So, to clarify, there is just no way to get Cattle Prod researched and obtain its entry?
Thanks.

That's two questions.

1. No, there is no way to get Cattle Prod researched.
2. Yes, you can obtain its pedia entry (by researching something else).

Offline deltarno

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: October 22, 2023, 08:36:03 am »
Quick question, any idea how to get some decent ships for shooting down da loot?  Went with the gold codex, so I've got a nice hawk with a good gun, but after that?  Striking out.  Only other thing I was able to grab was the bat, and it takes missles.  Got lots of cannons, but no missles.  I think I've been looking in up the wrong parts of the tech tree, so any idea what a good attack vehicle would be?

Offline Ultimoos

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: October 22, 2023, 11:15:22 am »
There is a craft, Piranha (or maybe it was Shark) jet bike I think. It has ridiculous speed and dodging. Takes only one LT tho. Takes some Jack tokens to obtain.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 11:17:05 am by Ultimoos »

Offline Ruberto

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: October 24, 2023, 11:07:19 am »
How does one downs a Siver tower ?  https://xpedia.netlify.app/##STR_VESSEL_SILVER_TOWERS
3 Avalanches didn't breach it's hields, and it does not have intercept radius, so I can't gang on it with several crafts...

Offline zombieguy223

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: October 24, 2023, 11:48:24 am »
How does one downs a Siver tower ?  https://xpedia.netlify.app/##STR_VESSEL_SILVER_TOWERS
3 Avalanches didn't breach it's hields, and it does not have intercept radius, so I can't gang on it with several crafts...
I've thought about this before, and I'm pretty sure there's been discussion about this elsewhere on the forum as well.

You would need to hit it with about 6 Avalanches at the same time to bring it down, so 2 Brave Whalers fully loaded up should be able to do it. Silver Towers have 2450 health, 2450 shields, regen 55.13 shield per gamesecond. You need to cause 1225 health damage to make it crash. Avalanches do 600 damage each, * 1.5 vs shields, so 900*3 = 2700 to bring down the shields with some bleed-through to the health, 600*3 = 1800 to health causing a crash.

You can tell all interceptors to move to a certain range simultaneously by right-clicking the button, so you can get both Brave Whalers firing all 6 Avalanches at the same time. Avalanches have 150 - 15 = 135% accuracy vs Silver Towers due to the 200% bonus accuracy against Very Large ships and the Silver Towers' dodge, so they should all hit if you have decent pilots.

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: October 24, 2023, 03:51:26 pm »
You have to be careful with the math though.

Aerial weapons do 50-100% of stated damage, not 50-150% like the rest of the game.

That means that the expected median for damage requires a .75 modifier in order for your math to be accurate. Not that 6 avalanches is enough for a large sample, so luck can swing either way.

I would go with 3 Brave Whalers, 2 is not enough, assuming your other math is accurate.

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: October 25, 2023, 12:05:11 am »
Tesla cannons and Sabers are the way to go. You don't even need 4 planes.