aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1033757 times)

Offline Thatguysenpai

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #3045 on: May 23, 2021, 05:57:17 am »
Ah, I see, thank you. It's unfortunate that the bomber mission has become rather rare, but I'll keep at it.

Offline Dogbarian

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: May 24, 2021, 06:28:25 pm »
Weapon mastery is per weapon, but due to code quirks only a single instance of each rank can apply. The engine reads the strings as: mastery rank X apply bonus assigned to rank X, if it then also read x+1 or X+2 it does it again.

For commends it for all participating items as a sum, or at least it will be shortly. I don't recall if the patched commend code made it into L9. If it didn't it take the bonus for the highest participating item.

If I'm reading your answer correctly, it sounds like getting "Master of the <whatever>" at 1 rank at multiple weapons will stack, but multiple ranks in the same weapon do not stack?  Is that what you meant by instance of each rank?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: May 24, 2021, 10:33:24 pm »
Other way around. only 1 copy of rank 1,2,3 ect will give a bonus. Mastery of different weapons is however required because only highest rank attained for given weapon is applied.

So maximum bonus is rank 1 with handcannon, rank 2 with whip, rank 3 with fisticuffs, ect. But all weapon at 3 would only be one instance of rank 3 bonus.

Offline Dogbarian

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: May 25, 2021, 02:08:23 am »
Other way around. only 1 copy of rank 1,2,3 ect will give a bonus. Mastery of different weapons is however required because only highest rank attained for given weapon is applied.

So maximum bonus is rank 1 with handcannon, rank 2 with whip, rank 3 with fisticuffs, ect. But all weapon at 3 would only be one instance of rank 3 bonus.
Gotcha, thanks!

Offline mikmac

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: May 27, 2021, 01:44:06 pm »
Hi and thanks for a great mod!
I havent gotten very far yet and so was wondering what exactly will I miss out on if i play difficulty=0?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3050 on: May 27, 2021, 07:10:20 pm »
Hi and thanks for a great mod!
I havent gotten very far yet and so was wondering what exactly will I miss out on if i play difficulty=0?

Mostly some stuff related to psionics and spirituality in general. This has impact on various areas, like equipment and armours.

I personally wouldn't recommend playing on 0, since difficulty 1 is not much harder but doesn't cut you off from anything. It can be easily changed in the save by modifying the "difficulty" value.

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: May 28, 2021, 03:07:35 pm »
Has anyone been able to damage anything using SAINT's Entropy Blast?

My Gals are pretty maxed out and EB accuracy ranges from 50-100% up close, to 20-80% far away, but I've never actually damaged anyone with it. It always fizzles out as small pink circle on enemy target and hit-log is always empty. Stats indicate primary effect is against armor and morale, with only 15% damage affecting HP. But still, the only effect I ever witnessed was 50% less TU to my own Gal. That never failed lol.

Considered buffing it but its strange behavior makes me think not matter what I do it'll just fizzle out like it's broken or something.

Offline mikmac

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: May 28, 2021, 04:22:13 pm »
Mostly some stuff related to psionics and spirituality in general. This has impact on various areas, like equipment and armours.

I personally wouldn't recommend playing on 0, since difficulty 1 is not much harder but doesn't cut you off from anything. It can be easily changed in the save by modifying the "difficulty" value.

Thx, I shall go for that, then.

Another question;  In one year, at difficulty=1, how many losses (gals) would be considered normal by an average player? (at normal risktaking, like avoiding pogroms etc), also, about how many hideouts should one establish within the first year?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3053 on: May 28, 2021, 05:12:56 pm »
Another question;  In one year, at difficulty=1, how many losses (gals) would be considered normal by an average player? (at normal risktaking, like avoiding pogroms etc), also, about how many hideouts should one establish within the first year?

Hard to say, it all depends. In my current campaign, I'm in late June 2602, so one and a half year in, and I lost 27 Hands, of which 5 were Gals, 7 were Peasants or Damsels, 7 were Warbeasts, one was a Lokk'Naar and the rest were Slave Soldiers. I have 3 hideouts and I play on the middle difficulty (Blackbeard).

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: May 28, 2021, 07:40:16 pm »
Has anyone been able to damage anything using SAINT's Entropy Blast?

My Gals are pretty maxed out and EB accuracy ranges from 50-100% up close, to 20-80% far away, but I've never actually damaged anyone with it. It always fizzles out as small pink circle on enemy target and hit-log is always empty. Stats indicate primary effect is against armor and morale, with only 15% damage affecting HP. But still, the only effect I ever witnessed was 50% less TU to my own Gal. That never failed lol.

Considered buffing it but its strange behavior makes me think not matter what I do it'll just fizzle out like it's broken or something.

The likely issue your having is the -5 power per tile. A maxed out gal before commendations only has 8 tile effective range, and even then the last few tiles have such low impact, that given it does not fully ignore armor you can still whiff. Maxed out peas/SS get 10 effective range.

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: May 28, 2021, 08:05:14 pm »
@legionof1
You're right that was it. Holding ALT mislead me to believe there was no damage reduction over distance, only accuracy, and I never used it up close against weakly armored target. Until now. Pretty hard to miss when it works and hit-log comes back to life too. Thank you.

Offline mikmac

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: May 29, 2021, 08:10:29 am »
Hard to say, it all depends. In my current campaign, I'm in late June 2602, so one and a half year in, and I lost 27 Hands, of which 5 were Gals, 7 were Peasants or Damsels, 7 were Warbeasts, one was a Lokk'Naar and the rest were Slave Soldiers. I have 3 hideouts and I play on the middle difficulty (Blackbeard).

thx a lot, this is a good reference to have.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: May 29, 2021, 09:09:37 am »
Honestly any amount of losses is fine, so long as you can sustain them at the rate you take em. Once your out of the early stages you can flat out buy or train perfectly functional replacements without it even really impacting your economy.

i think the most ive ever seen in the first year was like 80, and the player still won in the end. Fewer losses is of course better, but even significant losses so long as the don't happen all at once are survivable. Even a whole ships worth so long as you have some roster depth is manageable.

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: May 29, 2021, 05:55:20 pm »
Another first: after using Chort's Iron Wind on bunch of demons and bunch of them dieing (roughly 40 registered hits), while also carrying Crystal Skull, my STA & HP bars somehow get drained by considerable amount even though I'm outside of blast radius. As if demons attained 'reflect damage' type, or some kind of overflow in the engine due to massive cumulative damage dealt. TU do get replenished as expected though.

Dunno what to make of it as STA should drain by small fixed amount from IW usage alone and even less so for HP. Attached a save in hope to hear your thoughts. Aim at the marked Pinky to reproduce. Small disclaimer: should you find yourself in an endless satisfaction feedback loop, unable to stop, that's on you.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 06:12:32 pm by Nilex »

Offline username

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: May 29, 2021, 10:52:23 pm »
Crystal Skull's effect is that it drains HP/STA when you trigger it. It's not the Iron Wind that's damaging you, it's the Crystal Skull. Not a bug.