aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1239909 times)

Offline kayelgee

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #3900 on: August 07, 2024, 01:39:21 am »
I haven't found the formula anywhere so I'm wondering how does craft weapon accuracy in combination with pilot accuracy bonus and vessel accuracy bonus work?
Is it additive or multiplicative?

Let's say the pilot gives +25% and the vessel +5%.
Without these bonuses the 30mm cannon has a accuracy of 45%.

If it's additive then it would be:
45%+pilot acc+vessel acc= 75%
If it's multiplicative it would be:
45%*(1+pilot acc)*(1+vessel acc)= ~59%

Which one is it?

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: August 07, 2024, 07:58:04 am »
It is additive, but the formula is not as straightforward as that (because UFO size and dodge bonus also affect the calculation).

If you can read code, the algorithm is around here: https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom/blob/oxce-plus/src/Geoscape/DogfightState.cpp#L1112

Offline kayelgee

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: August 07, 2024, 12:24:32 pm »
It is additive, but the formula is not as straightforward as that (because UFO size and dodge bonus also affect the calculation).

If you can read code, the algorithm is around here: https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom/blob/oxce-plus/src/Geoscape/DogfightState.cpp#L1112
UFO size is explaind in the bootypedia #53.
I didn't find any tips that mentioned how pilot skill, craft bonus and dodge actually work.
Looking at the code the formula is actually unintuitive. I thought when it's additive that it get's added to the weapons base accuracy, but it get's added to the accuracy after it was modified by the ufo size.
In any case I now see how strong the pilot and craft bonuses really are, took me just a few hundred hours...
Maybe this should be added as an ingame tip aswell.

Offline Ultimoos

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: August 07, 2024, 05:12:15 pm »
I'm looking at that formula. I'm putting numbers in and I can't figure out how it's supposed to result in what #53 entry says.
What are numeral values for UFO sizes? I tried putting weapon accuracy at 1 to see what UFO size number would result in formula giving 100% and that number in minus infinity. And to result in 200% for very large UFO the value for ufo size is 3.5. Could you give us example of how to properly use that formula, because I'm lost.

Edit: I've put 100 to weapon accuracy and with UFO sizes going from -1 to 4, excluding 0 results are the same as #53 plus 0.5. Strange but ok.

To sum it all up the formula for weapon chance to hit is:
Chance to hit in % = (Weapon accuracy * (100 + 300 / (5 - UFO size)) +100) / 200 - 0.5 - UFO dodge + craft hit bonus + pilots to hit bonus
Where UFO sizes are:
Very small = -1
Small = 1
Medium = 2
Large = 3
Very large = 4
« Last Edit: August 07, 2024, 05:33:24 pm by Ultimoos »

Offline ChilliBart

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: August 07, 2024, 08:33:26 pm »
hey all, is there somewhere where I can get a list of missions and craft restrictions. I am thinking of upgrading my airbus to a faust but don't know if this will then prevent me from being able to do the Dr X hideout mission.

Offline Fugazza

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: August 07, 2024, 09:40:27 pm »
hey all, is there somewhere where I can get a list of missions and craft restrictions. I am thinking of upgrading my airbus to a faust but don't know if this will then prevent me from being able to do the Dr X hideout mission.

Just in case, make a Shipyard/Radar base, and keep the ships you can't manufacture or buy there. As far I can recall you CAN'T use the Faust for X-Prison

Offline Jimboman

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: August 07, 2024, 11:57:38 pm »
Just in case, make a Shipyard/Radar base, and keep the ships you can't manufacture or buy there. As far I can recall you CAN'T use the Faust for X-Prison

The original airbus is the only craft you can use for the x-prison as far as I can remember.  You can sell it/send it to another base for smaller missions after you've completed the prison mission.  Well, you can do it before that, but I like to send my original gals (or whoever is left of them) on the x-prison mission.

Offline Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: August 08, 2024, 03:08:47 am »
X-Prison allows AIRBUS*058, AIRBUS, AIRVAN, SPECTOR, RAIL POD

Offline Jimboman

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: August 08, 2024, 04:18:34 pm »
X-Prison allows AIRBUS*058, AIRBUS, AIRVAN, SPECTOR, RAIL POD

Thanks.  Been a while since I did an x-prison, but am near to doing it in my present run.  I don't have a Spector so it's the old faithful Airbus for the extra crew member when compared to the Airvan.

Offline Poulpiche

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: August 20, 2024, 08:21:09 pm »

do you know if it is possible to beat the ogress?

i think i have all the constructions that could have a link with the fight but she remains unbeatable

Offline Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: August 20, 2024, 10:37:36 pm »
Check your bootypedia. What does it say on the topic of "CBT Challenge: Oni"?

Offline Poulpiche

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: August 20, 2024, 11:13:24 pm »
the Light Force.

so I have to find a Golden Statue i presume

thanks for the tips

Offline zombieguy223

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: August 21, 2024, 07:32:44 am »
the Light Force.

so I have to find a Golden Statue i presume

thanks for the tips
If you're looking for rare and exotic items, especially of the gold variety, the smugglers are a good place to start.

They probably have the really good stuff hidden away in their strongholds, and it won't be for sale, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Offline rafaelwow

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: August 21, 2024, 08:04:52 pm »
Hi there, I started playing 2 weeks ago, loving it so far, sorry if the questions seem stupid.

I am on my second run, I could not research fast enough and could not do missions at 2602 without being steamrolled.

I tried to search different on google and here on the forum, but could not find much answers to these questions:

1 - How do I open gambling to use the blue credit chips?
 Answer: bag of money

2 - What are good guns to use underwater? The shark men are tough

3 - How to deal with lobstermen? At the first time I found them, I had to stun rod them to oblivion, 5 person around it till it died

4 - How I get to laser?

5 - I have been using a lot of rotogun, but they are bad against armor. I got to get the smartgun, but that too. How to deal with armored enemies without laser or plasma? Shotguns? Flamethrowers?

6 - Are there still ships that donĀ“t spend fuel depending on the path, or only the initial airbus does that?

7- Should I have a full team of each species?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 02:42:35 pm by rafaelwow »

Offline Poulpiche

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: August 22, 2024, 01:47:51 pm »
If you're looking for rare and exotic items, especially of the gold variety, the smugglers are a good place to start.

They probably have the really good stuff hidden away in their strongholds, and it won't be for sale, but that shouldn't be a problem.
I didn't know smugglers could have a base

I've seen some for the Church, the Guild, the Academy, Mercenaries, Ninjas & Rimrider but none for smugglers, I only can board theirs ships so far