Author Topic: Dossiers wanted!  (Read 85831 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Dossiers wanted!
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 03:17:42 am »
It's a very cool one too, also taken.

I think it'd be better if the photo was less zoomed on the face, though; such zoomed pics don't look very good when converted to Ufopaedia standards. This one is good enough, just in the future I'd like people seen from a bit further.

EDIT: Which version of this picture do you prefer?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 03:29:26 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 07:08:46 am »
Ok... can do.

Is there any faction or type etc that you need badly?

and the 2nd one.

--- posts merged - Solarius Scorch ---

Name: Terrence Lockhart

Role: Financial Adviser

Affiliation: Dealer's choice

Details: Lockhart was a financial mogul before being convicted of securities fraud, bribery, tax evasion, and extortion. He was incarcerated 4 days before escaping by helicopter.

Note: Net worth $200+ million
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 11:58:08 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 07:34:13 am »
Name: Ernie Loyd Sobatka

Role: Smuggler and Cargo Hijacker

Affiliation: Cult of Dagon

Details: Both a careful and violent man. Sobatka specializes in hijacking and smuggling chemicals, machinery, and "exotic" goods sourced from civilian, private, and military ships.

Notes: Ties to 60+ Local Unions

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 12:33:58 pm »
Thanks, both guys are in, with minor adjustments.

Is there any faction or type etc that you need badly?

No, at this point I'm so starved for dossiers that I'm not rejecting anything on the basis of affiliation. But I'd like to be moving away from common criminals and mercenaries soon, as X-Com would rarely be interested in these.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 03:42:35 pm »
Alright... So, UNCOMMON criminals? ;D

Do they have to be enemy operatives?

what are their research sourcing? only interrogations?

I can totally work with anything but I want to hopefully build out some fun/interesting flavor.

Some of the more unique characters? will they be incorporated into an arc type for rescue or assassination or something? are you going to breathe life into some of these dossiers onto the battlescape?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 05:22:26 pm »
Alright... So, UNCOMMON criminals? ;D

Yes! XD Well, not only these, but these are in short supply.
Your (end everyone else's) entries up until now are cool, no complaints at all. I'm only trying to suggest the general direction - see next paragraph.

Do they have to be enemy operatives?

Not necessarily; they don't even have to be hostile. But they should be people that X-Com would have a reason to be interested with, like for example Dr. Standard.

what are their research sourcing? only interrogations?

Yeah, and in the future also findable documents. Now I don't have enough dossiers to introduce such items.

I can totally work with anything but I want to hopefully build out some fun/interesting flavor.

Yeah, and I realize I'm not being very clear here. The truth is, I want to give you a leeway, that's partially why I asked people to help. Up until now everything went in, except the Carter joke (which I still might use, but as a joke).

Some of the more unique characters? will they be incorporated into an arc type for rescue or assassination or something? are you going to breathe life into some of these dossiers onto the battlescape?

Generally no; there will be one such mission, but it's a special service to someone. But making a mission is a lot of work, and such a mission would only happen once per campaign... So, no, unless someone does most of the work.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 06:10:23 pm »
I don't know if you want direct references or more vague ones that leave a little to the reader's imagination, but dossiers could reveal the part of a faction in a criminal / paranormal event, or link to a special place.
For example :

Murders in Imboca
Image: one of
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-27zAKIVFTyQ/T77n0Oy2XZI/AAAAAAAAHtM/FqB6Xef_yCU/s1600/Dagon_GROUP3.jpg
https://nekonekomovielitterbox.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/dagon3.jpg?w=1000&h=
https://nekonekomovielitterbox.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/dagon9.jpg?w=427&h=239
https://nekonekomovielitterbox.wordpress.com/2016/08/24/dagon-2001-american-lovecraftian-aquatic-horror/#jp-carousel-25184

"X-Com have found evidence that the cult of Dagon is responsible for the murder of tourists in Imboca, Spain. The four friends sailed their boat into the remote fisher town, and vanished without a trace. The place is linked to older rumors of ritualistic murder, but the town's inhabitants are a close-knit community which doesn't cooperate with authorities. We suspect it may be under total control by the cult of Dagon.
Case status : Closed"
^ This is reference to the spanish movie "Dagon"

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2017, 06:38:26 pm »
Are these dossiers for points basically and to give my poor poor overworked researchers some more to do?   ;)

Will the dossiers provide some benefit for ground troops in some capacity either directly or indirectly?

I love the idea of findable documents which based on XYZ (level, faction, WTFE)  and could act as a great element. I mean being able to raid a cult outpost and finding info that blows open the network of ANOTHER cult by pure chance sans interrogations is something I'd giggle about. I mean the cults might keep tabs on each other right?  ;D

Dossiers of persons thought interesting, Weapon sourcing, equipment plans, mission data types, etc etc etc. That sound really cool... I'd also love to see exposed 1 off missions that fall in the realm of "OHH GOD THEY'RE COMING OUT OF THE GODDAMN WALLS!!!"...but you were saying it takes a lot of work to do that.

I can see why you have been wanting to somehow get rescueable civilians too. That's a really great tool for storytelling or for exotic rescue missions.

I have noticed that stunning the Madmen doesn't get me anyone to interrogate. I've tried several times always making sure to have prison and pen room and no luck... feature or bug?

Dossiers could also be a place couldn't they? a place that X-com is interested in. Weather it relates to anything else is whatever...but I bet it could get you some ideas for stuff.

Are you going to also include plot artifact items that spawn on certain maps? To be used as a plot starter, filler, or even a tech boost?

I'd personally love to see more time sensitive missions... but I'm not really all that far in this latest version. so... you know.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2017, 06:45:46 pm »
I don't know if you want direct references or more vague ones that leave a little to the reader's imagination, but dossiers could reveal the part of a faction in a criminal / paranormal event, or link to a special place.
For example :

Murders in Imboca
Image: one of
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-27zAKIVFTyQ/T77n0Oy2XZI/AAAAAAAAHtM/FqB6Xef_yCU/s1600/Dagon_GROUP3.jpg
https://nekonekomovielitterbox.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/dagon3.jpg?w=1000&h=
https://nekonekomovielitterbox.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/dagon9.jpg?w=427&h=239
https://nekonekomovielitterbox.wordpress.com/2016/08/24/dagon-2001-american-lovecraftian-aquatic-horror/#jp-carousel-25184

"X-Com have found evidence that the cult of Dagon is responsible for the murder of tourists in Imboca, Spain. The four friends sailed their boat into the remote fisher town, and vanished without a trace. The place is linked to older rumors of ritualistic murder, but the town's inhabitants are a close-knit community which doesn't cooperate with authorities. We suspect it may be under total control by the cult of Dagon.
Case status : Closed"

I dig this... dossiers could also reference or be about events.... I mean I did loosely with Macguiness Cooke as he is an obvious amalgamation of Bill Duke's characters  in Commando and Predator which both take place in Val Verde.

This opens up some really interesting  stuff if Sol agrees.

I'll work up some flavor text and a picture to be associated with a place for teh lulz and see if you like it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 06:51:39 pm by HelmetHair »

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2017, 08:37:08 pm »
I will add two. One is an adaptation of a famous Venezuelan terrorist, and the other a fictional biologist. I´m trying to adapt ideas to the mod atmosphere.

---------------------------------------------------------------
- Name: Ilyich Ramírez Sánchez
- Alias: Carlos the Jackal
- Role: Terrorist
- Details: A famous terrorist, been involved in several attacks, became a legend when he raided an OPEC conference in Vienna Austria in 1975. It is believe that the jackal have contact information about important figures in the Black Lotus, Red Dawn, and several criminal syndicates around the world. French authorities are reluctant of giving us permission to interrogate him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Name: Parvati Anand Foster
- Role: Biologist
- Affiliation: Black Lotus
- Details: With Indian and British heritage, Parvati studied her Phd in Biology in Oxford. She taught around India for several years after mysteriously disappearing after a trip to Indonesia. It is believed that she is the master mind behind the Psi enhanced physical prowess program of some Black Lotus members.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I attached some photos that maybe can be useful. I´m not totally happy with the Parvati one, but is based in an Indian botanist, so is the most close stuff I found.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2017, 09:56:23 pm »

It was the most direct inspiration for the Cult of Dagon faction in the first place. :) I recommend that movie, even to people who don't like horror much.

But what you are describing is something else. It's be cool to have such reports too, but at this point I don't have any. We'll see.

Are these dossiers for points basically and to give my poor poor overworked researchers some more to do?   ;)

Yes! :P To give you points, fluff and science problems.

Will the dossiers provide some benefit for ground troops in some capacity either directly or indirectly?

Unlikely, though it's not completely ruled out. I just don't have a concept yet.

I love the idea of findable documents which based on XYZ (level, faction, WTFE)  and could act as a great element. I mean being able to raid a cult outpost and finding info that blows open the network of ANOTHER cult by pure chance sans interrogations is something I'd giggle about. I mean the cults might keep tabs on each other right?  ;D

That's the general idea, yes.

Dossiers of persons thought interesting, Weapon sourcing, equipment plans, mission data types, etc etc etc. That sound really cool... I'd also love to see exposed 1 off missions that fall in the realm of "OHH GOD THEY'RE COMING OUT OF THE GODDAMN WALLS!!!"...but you were saying it takes a lot of work to do that.

Well, it doesn't mean it won't happen... Just not very soon. I want to tackle major things first (currently the Syndicate arc).

I can see why you have been wanting to somehow get rescueable civilians too. That's a really great tool for storytelling or for exotic rescue missions.

Yes, I have a few ideas. Mostly rescue missions.

I have noticed that stunning the Madmen doesn't get me anyone to interrogate. I've tried several times always making sure to have prison and pen room and no luck... feature or bug?

Are you saying they aren't recovered at all? Or can't be researched?

Because if you mean research, then yeah, they can't be interrogated. They don't have anything interesting to say.

Dossiers could also be a place couldn't they? a place that X-com is interested in. Weather it relates to anything else is whatever...but I bet it could get you some ideas for stuff.

Perhaps, but for now I want to focus on people. Still, if you have ideas, fire away - I can always save it for later.

Are you going to also include plot artifact items that spawn on certain maps? To be used as a plot starter, filler, or even a tech boost?

Maybe later. For now, too much work, too little gain. I need to keep some discipline here, or we won't get far. :)

I'd personally love to see more time sensitive missions... but I'm not really all that far in this latest version. so... you know.

Oh, I have great plans. :)

I'll work up some flavor text and a picture to be associated with a place for teh lulz and see if you like it.

Sure, give it a try if you want.

I will add two.

I'll skip Jackal, since I know about him, my mum knows about him, people living on Kamchatka probably know him... And so X-Com probably knows about him too. :P

But I'll take Ms. Foster, thanks.

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2017, 10:59:45 pm »
I'll skip Jackal, since I know about him, my mum knows about him, people living on Kamchatka probably know him... And so X-Com probably knows about him too. :P

But I'll take Ms. Foster, thanks.

Great, 2.5 of four :). Well, more fictional people like that. I think technical people are underrepresented. Just a finance guy, Dc Able, and now this biologist...

Oh.... another one xD. A "serious parody" about the dog whisper

Name: Felipe Favela
Role: Dog trainer
Details: Felipe Favela is the most important trainer of service dogs for armies, polices and other organisations around the world. From drug searching, to fugitive hunting, if you want a top notch trained dog, he is the guy. He agreed to provided some fine specimens for our squad, and training for our agents to use the ultrasonic whistle.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 11:18:47 pm »
Haha... But X-Com knew about him before, no? :)

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2017, 11:52:04 pm »
Haha... But X-Com knew about him before, no? :)

Mmmm, true.

Well well, let me cook some "Xcom did not know about him/her before".

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2017, 03:32:43 am »
It was the most direct inspiration for the Cult of Dagon faction in the first place. :) I recommend that movie, even to people who don't like horror much.
Cool, I did find the film memorable and surprisingly poetic, something like John Carpenter meets Tim Burton (or Edgar Poe).
But it's *very* graphic at times, not for the weak stomachs.

What about a discreet inside jokes, in one of the early Dagon topics ?
"We don't know what's really taking place there, but it's definitely fishy."