aliens

Author Topic: Sell / Sack menu  (Read 30406 times)

Offline StarkMad

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Sell / Sack menu
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 06:22:53 am »
Here's another idea. All this texts have blue color. I wonder that maybe it would be worth to try to use different colors?

What do you guys think? One color to rule them all, or couple of colors?

Nice patch, but I don't really like the green color. Is it really necessary to make it non-monochromatic? This definetly doesn't fit the game style.

You can't please everyone.  ;D It does break the style of the game but I think its worth it. In a low resolution screen with lots of data presented to the user at once a color change is a great way to visually divide the information and keep everything from blurring together. Now I agree that green might not be the color of choice but it was easier on the eye than the red or yellow.

Volutar

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2012, 07:21:46 am »
As I remember there was already color diversity for items (ammo have had purple color). Concerning color choise, I wouln't suggest dark colors which are close to background (dark green color kinda close to dark yellow). And better not to alter item colors - better to alter header color.

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 07:36:14 am »
As I remember there was already color diversity for items (ammo have had purple color). Concerning color choise, I wouln't suggest dark colors which are close to background (dark green color kinda close to dark yellow). And better not to alter item colors - better to alter header color.

I agree. I think alter header colour and different ammo colors are enough.

Offline StarkMad

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2012, 03:46:12 am »
Ok, I believe this was the consensus on what the tabbed Sell/Sack menu should look like. So I also applied it to the Purchase/Hire menu.

Volutar

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2012, 04:43:53 am »
Oh, shouldn't craft armament (stingray/avalance, etc) go into Craft tab?
At first times I was confused by buyng those launchers and missiles supposing to get them in the battlescape. :)

And indention+pinkish color of ammos, would be very nice, please, thank you .
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 04:55:57 am by Volutar »

Offline StarkMad

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2012, 05:16:20 am »
Oh, shouldn't craft armament (stingray/avalance, etc) go into Craft tab?

Yes they should. That is the next thing I am looking into. Right now they are lumped into 'Items' along with pistols, corpses, alien artifacts, and so on. I have to add more categories to the ruleset to make it work but this causes problems with any saved games made before the ruleset modification. So that would probably require a tool to convert saved games as well.

Volutar

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2012, 05:19:28 am »
New categories? Why so? Doesn't game already know what is battlescape item and what is craft armament/ammo?

Offline StarkMad

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2012, 05:42:44 am »
New categories? Why so? Doesn't game already know what is battlescape item and what is craft armament/ammo?

If you look in the bin/data/Ruleset/Xcom1Ruleset.rul file you will find the definition for just about everything in the game. Things like the Stingray launcher are in there twice.

The first time is under the 'craftWeapons' category. This definition for the Stingray launcher is what shows up when you are in the 'Equip Craft' menu trying to decide what weapons you want to put on your Interceptors. But this isn't the Stingray launcher that shows up in the Buy/Sell menus.

The second time is under the 'items' category. This is the version of the Stingray launcher that is used by the Buy/Sell menus and this version of the launcher is grouped with things like pistols, rifles, and ammo clips. Here is a shortened version of the category to show what I'm talking about.

Code: [Select]
items:
  - type: STR_STINGRAY_LAUNCHER
  - type: STR_AVALANCHE_LAUNCHER
  - type: STR_PISTOL
  - type: STR_PISTOL_CLIP
  - type: STR_RIFLE
  - type: STR_RIFLE_CLIP

In order for me to move Stingray launchers to the 'Craft' tab I would have to divide the items category into smaller parts like this for example:

itemsForCraft:
items:

But this change causes a problem with old saved games.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 05:54:44 am by StarkMad »

Volutar

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2012, 06:02:21 am »
SrarkMad, I don't see why you can't mark those "storage items" which are in the same time in "craftWeapon" (as launcher and as clip, with different "colors", in runtime).

Offline StarkMad

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2012, 06:21:04 pm »
In order for me to move Stingray launchers to the 'Craft' tab I would have to divide the items category into smaller parts like this for example:

itemsForCraft:
items:

But this change causes a problem with old saved games.

I found a better way of handling it that doesn't cause problems with old saved games. Instead of adding more categories I added new 'attributes' to the items I wanted to move.

Offline StarkMad

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2012, 06:30:12 pm »
So, the things others have mentioned that I need to investigate are:

• Pink ammo
  • Storage space delta on Purchase menu
  • Possibility of adding an 'On Order' column to Purchase menu

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2012, 07:33:34 am »
Another idea - number and money columns right justed? May look better IMHO.

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2012, 02:21:05 pm »
So, the things others have mentioned that I need to investigate are:

• Pink ammo
  • Storage space delta on Purchase menu
  • Possibility of adding an 'On Order' column to Purchase menu

This will be another reason for people playing OpenXcom instead of X-Com or XCOM.

Is it possible to arrange the items alphabetically by pressing a button? This is useful when your item list becomes longer and longer.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 02:25:56 pm by hsbckb »

Volutar

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2012, 04:54:38 pm »
item arrangement? gosh, oh  no! xcom have "classic" item arrangement and everyone know where he should be looking for particular item. by arranging them you may get practical mess, specially with custom translations.

on order might be nice, but how to fit all this info in low screen resolution?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 04:59:08 pm by Volutar »

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2012, 05:00:39 pm »
item arrangement? gosh, oh  no! xcom have "classic" item arrangement and everyone know where he should be looking for particular item. by arranging them you may get practical mess, specially with custom translations.

Oh yes. I haven't consider the arrangement issue for different language e.g. Chinese

For the East Asian Language, item arrangement is meaningless.