aliens

Author Topic: 40k  (Read 374102 times)

Offline armorer87

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: 40k
« Reply #285 on: March 17, 2018, 01:44:59 pm »
is that a lesser lord of change? , because they look neat!. Superb sprites tho :p , i would like to see what you had planned for khorne's units  ;D.

again, outstanding work pal!

It's flamer of tzeentch. With some vintage artstyle, mb 2 ed. or from the Chaos Gate game.

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 19, 2018, 03:27:23 pm »
yes, like armorer87 said it´s flamer Chaos gate edition i have the game, i tried to get some sprite from there it´s impossible

Big props to Neoworm and Robin , i´m becoming expert demonologist by altering their sprites

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 19, 2018, 09:08:16 pm »
that bloodletter looks pretty sexy, i have to say i had see some of the best pixel art sprites inside this mod, top notch quality for sure  :o

Offline armorer87

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 23, 2018, 03:15:11 pm »
When should we expect the new release? I have some ideas for the mod, but mb I should post them after release brcouse a lot of things can change.

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 24, 2018, 05:41:12 pm »
When should we expect the new release? I have some ideas for the mod, but mb I should post them after release brcouse a lot of things can change.

I will release it on the next few days, only a few strings missing

Offline dbomb

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 25, 2018, 06:16:46 pm »
I love the mod, the sprites, the enemy units are really well done and it just keeps getting better.
I do have a few criticisms (though they probably intended things in the game so maybe I just miss the appeal):
1. Currently some enemies just don't seem to die from any reasonable amount of fire. I'm talking about the vehicle enemies who for some reason even when hit by lascannon fire don't seem to taking any serious amount of damage. A Chaos dreadnought can be shot by 5 meltagun blasts and still be standing and I'm only playing on the middle difficulty. Pretty much the only gun that kills units in one hit has to be graviton gun but ammo is expensive.
2. Armor is way too expensive. I'm guessing this was intended but 40 alien metals (ceramite components) for basic tactical armor is way too much. Similarly 200 (or is it 300) for terminator armor is ridiculous especially once you factor in that randomness means you can lose these armors in 1 hit regardless. I'm not exactly sure how you're supposed to get enough ceramite components to afford armor.
3. Research is a bit un-intuitive. To get to mid-tier chapter requisition one of the requisites is motion tracker something most people aren't going to figure out. Similarly I can't figure out what exactly the requisites are for researching armor. I just sorta get it.

But there's plenty of good stuff.
1. No more getting shot from the dark/blind spot. I'm not sure if its 100% eliminated but the fake difficulty situation in which you don't know where the enemies are then move out a few steps just to get killed by an enemy you still don't where they are is gone.
2. Loot crate weapons are very nice and fun to use. I don't know if bolters are supposed to be this powerful but a stalker bolter is very nice find and it seems to work better than a sniper rifle.
3. Tyranids... that is all
4. All the different armors do different things and give different stats
5. The different damage types support combine arms gameplay. In Xcom you just run around with heavy plasma and call it a day. TFTD? Just run arround with sonic cannon. Here you need to bring 2-3 different kinds of weapons.. just like you would in 40k.
6. Terror missions now have civilians who actually fight back. It's an awesome moment where the guardsmen start fighting back and kill a chaos juggernaught with their las guns. Something that could take forever with your regular guys.
7. Different classes of troops. I don't know why you'd want guardsmen but still its fun to have them. Same with sisters of battle (though there's plenty of reason to want them and it has nothing to do with smearing their blood on armor).
8. Much longer research tree compared to base game
9. Dreadnoughts are really fun to use though I find their melee is a bit weak. Dreadnoughts getting better as you use them is also freaking awesome.

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 26, 2018, 12:24:07 am »

i will try to help / some spoilers

1. Currently some enemies just don't seem to die from any reasonable amount of fire. I'm talking about the vehicle enemies who for some reason even when hit by lascannon fire don't seem to taking any serious amount of damage. A Chaos dreadnought can be shot by 5 meltagun blasts and still be standing and I'm only playing on the middle difficulty. Pretty much the only gun that kills units in one hit has to be graviton gun but ammo is expensive.

2x2 unit´s weaker to area damage the take x4 damage because the occupy 4 tiles ( so explosives/fire) does the trick also all vehicle takes  more damage from las weapon (lascanon some times only needs one shot) (melta dont count as las weapon damage is AP damage)

damageModifier: #VEICULE ARMOR
      - 1.0 #none
      - 1.0 #AP
      - 0.8 #FLAMES
      - 1.0 #HE
      - 1.5 #LASCANON
      - 1.0 #PLASMA
      - 0.9 #STUN
      - 0.8 #MELEE
      - 1.0 #ACID
      - 0.0 #SMOKE

2. Armor is way too expensive. I'm guessing this was intended but 40 alien metals (ceramite components) for basic tactical armor is way too much. Similarly 200 (or is it 300) for terminator armor is ridiculous especially once you factor in that randomness means you can lose these armors in 1 hit regardless. I'm not exactly sure how you're supposed to get enough ceramite components to afford armor.

theres 2 way´s to get alien metal :
- supply ships give 200 metal and 200 promethium(estimate) (also battle ships and bases but they are hard on comparison )
- Produce alien metal from promethium
So the more dificult -> more alien bases -> more supply ships -> more metal
i´m playing super almost all my marines have terminator/ high tier weapons ( still i cry when someone dies)
Also marines can have 120 health with terminator armor ( it´s impossible to die in one shot) still weaker troops die , because at the end of day its the man not the suite (tony stark) :P
But to tell the truth i correct the damage calculation i made a mistake where damage was applied before armor (new version)

3. Research is a bit un-intuitive. To get to mid-tier chapter requisition one of the requisites is motion tracker something most people aren't going to figure out. Similarly I can't figure out what exactly the requisites are for researching armor. I just sorta get it.

For armor is the corresponding enemy unit raptor-> assault armor / chaos marine -> tactical  armor etc
but true research is a bit clunky, no guiedlines main reason its uses the old x-com formula and i was planing defining a strategies like piratez with color drills but i don´t have the resources for that

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 27, 2018, 07:56:11 pm »
Man!
Ohartenstein just told me you're using the TFTD pedia articles in a UFO mod... why didn't you say something?
It looks terrible (no offense intended)... we need to unhardcode the palettes and text colors first to make it compatible!
I'll be working on this in the next few days as a priority, should be ready around the Easter weekend... I recommend waiting for this before you make a release.

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 27, 2018, 09:40:39 pm »
Man!
Ohartenstein just told me you're using the TFTD pedia articles in a UFO mod... why didn't you say something?
It looks terrible (no offense intended)... we need to unhardcode the palettes and text colors first to make it compatible!
I'll be working on this in the next few days as a priority, should be ready around the Easter weekend... I recommend waiting for this before you make a release.

hey i posted the topic a long time ago , still it uses basescape pallet that was a bitter more range then batllescape one, but yes the problem is the text color
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5581.msg85285.html#msg85285

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 27, 2018, 10:05:51 pm »
Mea culpa.
We'll make it happen!

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 28, 2018, 02:17:32 am »
no worry´s
Anyway just update to new version, a lot of new stuff
got to nerf gravgun, terminator down with one shot.
so i spend must of time making resources , don´t expect lot of testing and balancing
i correct as i go along!
Also slanesh race is inc due to time and break of will, making a big new unit that´s taking me some time
Enjoy

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 28, 2018, 11:24:12 pm »
Here's a preview

xcom2:
Code: [Select]
interfaces:
  - type: articleTFTD
    palette: PAL_BASESCAPE
    backgroundImage: BACK08.SCR
    elements:
      - id: button
        color: 2       # light grey
      - id: text
        color2: 244    # blue
      - id: list
        color2: 244    # blue
      - id: ammoColor
        color: 54      # green
extraSprites:
  - type: ExtendedPediaInfoButton
    width: 320
    height: 200
    singleImage: true
    files:
      0: Resources/Extended/Pedia/info-button-tftd.png

xcom1
Code: [Select]
  - type: articleTFTD
    palette: PAL_BASESCAPE
    backgroundImage: ExtendedPediaBackground
    elements:
      - id: button
        color: 208      # white
      - id: text
        color2: 218     # blue
      - id: list
        color2: 218     # blue
      - id: ammoColor
        color: 213      # gold
extraSprites:
  - type: ExtendedPediaBackground
    files:
      0: Resources/Extended/Pedia/background-ufo.png
  - type: ExtendedPediaInfoButton
    files:
      0: Resources/Extended/Pedia/info-button-ufo.png

I have unhardcoded:
1a. background image (so that you can use both UFO and TFTD article types at once... otherwise BACK08.SCR would conflict)
1b. background image for the new INFO button
2. palette used
3. text colors

XCOM1 preview attached.

Question: the things above can be modded now... but they are still shared across all TFTD article types... that is, you can use PAL_BASESCAPE for all articles or PAL_UFOPEDIA for all articles, but you cannot mix and match (within TFTD article types). Is this OK or would it help you if it was possible to mod these things separately for each article type?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 11:30:48 pm by Meridian »

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 29, 2018, 11:41:58 am »
nice, thks meridian,
about the question i currently Coverted all to PAL_BASESCAPE , but in the bases/ufo part i guess it would be better to use the old pal_ufopedia one that was the battlescape model with more correct color i think, but by this point there no turning back for me , still may serve for someone else

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 29, 2018, 05:53:57 pm »
Hey bulletdesigner, I'm really loving the mod - it's tough without being overly punishing, and the balance really feels unique from vanilla.  I have some suggestions and reports after playing for a little while (just getting to mastercrafted weapons):
  • Maybe make the starting soldiers be just marines or a predefined mix of marines and guard?  Getting a random smattering of everything is a bit strange.
  • I want to use the mastercrafted shotguns (got a raptor base, so got an excess of corpse), but the spread is just terrible - I reduced the spread to 25% using the extended behavior, and it feels a lot better.
  • Is it intended that mastercrafted lasguns can't use advanced lasgun ammo?  It seems to me that I'd never use them if only the blue lasgun gets advanced ammo.

Thanks again for making such a great mod, I can't wait to see where this campaign goes!

Offline armorer87

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 29, 2018, 07:51:39 pm »
Hey bulletdesigner, I'm really loving the mod - it's tough without being overly punishing, and the balance really feels unique from vanilla.  I have some suggestions and reports after playing for a little while (just getting to mastercrafted weapons):
  • Maybe make the starting soldiers be just marines or a predefined mix of marines and guard?  Getting a random smattering of everything is a bit strange.
  • I want to use the mastercrafted shotguns (got a raptor base, so got an excess of corpse), but the spread is just terrible - I reduced the spread to 25% using the extended behavior, and it feels a lot better.
  • Is it intended that mastercrafted lasguns can't use advanced lasgun ammo?  It seems to me that I'd never use them if only the blue lasgun gets advanced ammo.

Thanks again for making such a great mod, I can't wait to see where this campaign goes!

As far as I know bulletdesigner is focused mainly in graphic content. So there is 2 solutions - firtsly, you can change thing values by yourself - they are in  Ruleset folder in the mod, and can be edited by any text editor (just remember that is used YAML syntax). Second option is to wait 2-3 days, becouse I'm doing some changes in weapons stats and other minor changes.