aliens

Author Topic: Please help a desperate rookie :'(  (Read 9012 times)

Offline long6oarder

• Captain
  • Your X-Com must be quite precious to you...
    • View Profile
Please help a desperate rookie :'(
« on: June 27, 2016, 05:49:43 am »
Hello everyone,

Long time fan, first time openXcom user here. I just got done installing openxcom UFO defense, but I am having trouble, and I can't tell if I have done it properly. If somebody could offer guidance I would be most grateful!

My end goal: Play OpenXcom UFO Defense with the latest nightly build and including the Final Mod Pack and the music by Lorcan.

What I have done so far:
- Bought the xcom pack on steam (on sale!) and installed it.
- Used the windows installer to get the version 1.0 milestone.
- Downloaded the latest nightly build and copied the original xcom folders (SOUND, GEODATA, etc.) from the steam folder into the nightly build's folder. (already I worry that I am doing something wrong)
- Downloaded FMP and copied all its files into the USER/MODS folder within the nightly build folder.
- Downloaded and copied Lorcan's music into the nightly build's SOUND folder.
- Started the game from the nightly build folder.

The only thing I am confident will work correctly is the music, because I can already hear it working of course. I really have no feedback that I have properly installed the final mod pack, or at least I do not know how to tell so I can be sure.

I tried to start the game by selecting the option to custom build the first base, and that did not work, so I think I have made a huge mess and I don't know what to do.

Questions I have:
- In what order should I be installing each of these components? (original from steam; milestone 1.0; FMP; latest nightly build, Lorcan music)
- Is the 1.0 milestone even relevant if I am gonna play a later nightly build?
- Do I need the additional folders (like Resources, RuleSet, etc) from the 1.0 milestone?
- Has anyone made a youtube video within the past few months that would walk me through this process from start to finish?
- How on earth will I be able to tell if I have successfully installed a stable build of the game which includes the final mod pack?

I feel really embarrassed to be asking these questions here. You guys have created something beautiful and I can tell you have put a lot of effort into the instructions and readme files. I did read them, and I have also found a couple videos (one by Ivan D, and another by J Stank) but I still don't think I am doing things right. Both the videos and the readme file seem to think I am coming to the table with a base set of knowledge that I clearly lack because it is easy for me to get lost. It looks like you guys have been at this for a while, so you are familiar with where things go and which parts to replace when there are updates. I am completely clueless about these things.

I am super excited to play the game itself. At this point that seems like the easy part. But I certainly don't want to go down that long path only to reach a dead end because I screwed up the install.

Thanks for any help or guidance you all are willing to offer. I will check back frequently.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 04:36:51 pm by long6oarder »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Please help a desperate rookie :'(
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 05:25:25 pm »
What I have done so far:
- Bought the xcom pack on steam (on sale!) and installed it.
- Used the windows installer to get the version 1.0 milestone.
- Downloaded the latest nightly build and copied the original xcom folders (SOUND, GEODATA, etc.) from the steam folder into the nightly build's folder. (already I worry that I am doing something wrong)
- Downloaded FMP and copied all its files into the USER/MODS folder within the nightly build folder.
- Downloaded and copied Lorcan's music into the nightly build's SOUND folder.
- Started the game from the nightly build folder.

Ignore/delete the milestone 1.0 version. You don't need it to run the nightlies and nearly all current mods won't run on the 1.0 version since it's long outdated. Having both the 1.0 and the nightly installed can easily lead to confusion

A short list:
* Get the nightly and unzip it to your Desktop
* Open the original game's folder. Copy the GEODATA, GEOGRAPH, MAPS, ROUTES, SOUND, TERRAIN, UFOGRAPH, UFOINTRO and UNITS folders to the /openxcom/UFO/ folder of the nightly
* Run the nightly to create the C:/users/yourname/Documents/OpenXCom (if it isn't already created)
* Copy the FMP folder to C:/users/yourname/Documents/OpenXCom/mods/
* I don't know how Lorcan's mod works - you either use it to replace the files on the /SOUND folder of /openxcom/UFO/, or you need to install it by copying its folder to C:/users/yourname/Documents/OpenXCom/mods/
* Start OpenXCom. Go to options and select the FMP on the mod list

Which version of the FMP are you using btw?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 05:28:30 pm by Hobbes »

Offline long6oarder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 05:55:28 pm »
Hey! Thanks for getting back to me!

Your procedure makes sense. I didn't know the 1.0 milestone was considered to be outdated, so that is helpful info.

Lorcan's music files can be used by directly substituting them in the SOUND folder. His files are .ogg, and the originals are .mid, so I deleted the midi files just to be sure. This method worked for me. In case anyone else is reading this, the music files I am talking about are amazing and can be found by searching for Cydonia's Fall on the mod website and look for Lorcan's name.

Ignore/delete the milestone 1.0 version. You don't need it to run the nightlies and nearly all current mods won't run on the 1.0 version since it's long outdated. Having both the 1.0 and the nightly installed can easily lead to confusion

A short list:
* Open the original game's folder. Copy the GEODATA, GEOGRAPH, MAPS, ROUTES, SOUND, TERRAIN, UFOGRAPH, UFOINTRO and UNITS folders to the /openxcom/UFO/ folder of the nightly
* Run the nightly to create the C:/users/yourname/Documents/OpenXCom (if it isn't already created)
* I don't know how Lorcan's mod works - you either use it to replace the files on the /SOUND folder of /openxcom/UFO/, or you need to install it by copying its folder to C:/users/yourname/Documents/OpenXCom/mods/
* Start OpenXCom. Go to options and select the FMP on the mod list

Which version of the FMP are you using btw?

I am using FMP version 1.9.3. My biggest issue is that I don't know how to tell that I have actually installed these mods properly. I would've expected a long list on the Options dialogue from the main menu, but I think I am only seeing stuff from the openxcom patch or the 1.0 milestone. What is an example of a mod that would show up in the options that is exclusively from FMP 1.9.3? Otherwise, I was thinking that if I start a new game and try to build the larger Living Quarters and they are actually an option then I have succeeded, but is that correct? Are there any other ways to tell? Which mods from the FMP are readily visible without investing too much time into a game?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 06:14:59 pm »
I am using FMP version 1.9.3. My biggest issue is that I don't know how to tell that I have actually installed these mods properly. I would've expected a long list on the Options dialogue from the main menu, but I think I am only seeing stuff from the openxcom patch or the 1.0 milestone. What is an example of a mod that would show up in the options that is exclusively from FMP 1.9.3? Otherwise, I was thinking that if I start a new game and try to build the larger Living Quarters and they are actually an option then I have succeeded, but is that correct? Are there any other ways to tell? Which mods from the FMP are readily visible without investing too much time into a game?

I think I understand your confusion now. The FMP is a collection of mods all combined together as a single mod, i.e., you can't choose which ones you want to use. If you select the FMP (as shown below) then you'll be selecting all its features (the mods that compose it), you can't cherry pick the ones you want to use

This is what you should see:

Notice that some mods are compatible with one another while others aren't. In the example above, FMP and Area 51 are not compatible. You can select both but if you try to run a game with both you'll have major issues that will prevent both mods from running properly.

Offline long6oarder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 06:36:50 pm »
Okay, awesome. I understand now. Thank you for explaining that to me!

Are there any options from openxcom that are incompatible with FMP? For example, if I choose to use grenade explosions which extend to multiple levels, or custom first base, TFTD Damage Model, or anything that is listed in the 'Advanced" or 'Mods' dialogues, will that create problems?

Perhaps there is a list somewhere saying, "If using FMP, do not use these options/mods"...

Really, man. Thanks so much for taking the time to spell this out for me.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 06:42:54 pm »
WHAT OPENXCOM OPTIONS SHOULD I USE?
- Make sure you use the "item is destroyed on research" option, or else you will be able to research the Alien Data Slate over and over, which would be a cheat.
- Please note that all weapons were balanced for "UFO Extender Accuracy" option turned on, since it makes combat more interesting and varied. You don't have to do it, but it's recommended.

PS: you will not break the game if you change the options.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 06:47:31 pm »

Since I usually advice against changing core files of openxcom. If you just have music files you can easily create your own mod out of it. All you need to do is create folder under mods and put the files in a subdirectory called SOUNDS.

Using the picture of hobbes, if you move the folder name to the bottom of that list and activate it the game will always use those sounds. Even when other mods define different sounds for those. There is no need to delete the original files.

For reference (if your using linux) it will look something like:
Code: [Select]
$ ls ~/.local/share/openxcom/mods/UFO_Cydonias_Fall_OST/SOUND/
folder.jpg    gmgeo1.ogg   gmintro1.ogg  gmlose.ogg    gmstory.ogg
gmdefend.ogg  gmgeo2.ogg   gmintro2.ogg  gmmars.ogg    gmtactic.ogg
gmenbase.ogg  gminter.ogg  gmintro3.ogg  gmnewmar.ogg  gmwin.ogg

Hope it helps
and you can activate UFO_Cydonias_Fall_OST from the mods section of the game.

--- edit ---
In response to post of Meridian.
The "item is destroyed on research" option does no longer exist in the latest nightlies. Luckily FMP already reflects this in 1.9.3, e.g. items that need to be destroyed on research have gotten a flag for that.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 06:53:13 pm by R1dO »

Offline long6oarder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 07:52:49 pm »
Excellent. Thank you all!

Offline long6oarder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 09:10:50 pm »
Hello everyone! (as Meridian would say)

I just wanted to check in to say thanks again and also to give a run down of what worked for me in case others show up and read through the post.

I followed Hobbes' rundown very closely but I had to make a couple of changes. I will repost his outline and add my comments:

____done.
____done. The original game folder for me was found in (I am pulling this from memory so I hope it is close to correct): C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steam apps/common/Xcom/UFO
____done. This did work and the folder was created in the /Documents folder.
____I tried this and got nothing. What ended up working for me instead was copying the FMP folder into the OpenXCom/mods/ folder which is within the nightly build folder that I just put on my desktop. I also deleted the copy in the /Documents folder and the FMP still worked.
____I tried to make a SOUNDS folder in the OpenXCom/mods/ location just like I did with the FMP, but that did not work. I did get it the new music to work by directly substituting Lorcan's .ogg files for the original .mid files in the SOUNDS folder which I had just copied and was now in the nightly folder on my desktop.
* Start OpenXCom. Go to options and select the FMP on the mod list.
____done.

Upon starting the game the new music plays and the main menu shows the release date of the latest nightly. So far so good. I also was able to locate and switch on the FMP in the MODS section of the main menu. I then quickly started a new game and looked through the options of base facilities to build. Large Living Quarters is available, and as far as I can tell that is part of the FMP, so I believe the installation was a success.

Now all I have to do is read through all the mod options in the main menu and actually start playing the damn game!!

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 12:15:24 am »
What ended up working for me instead was copying the FMP folder into the OpenXCom/mods/ folder which is within the nightly build folder that I just put on my desktop.

To my knowledge there shouldn't be a /mods folder there but if it works, it works. Have fun :)

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 12:20:59 am »
To my knowledge there shouldn't be a /mods folder there but if it works, it works. Have fun :)

If you put the mods folder in your install folder, it won't use your documents folder which is preferable for some people.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 01:32:30 am »
If you put the mods folder in your install folder, it won't use your documents folder which is preferable for some people.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. For a moment I thought someone was trying (again) to convince me that the Earth is round and not flat ;)

Offline long6oarder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 04:55:53 am »
Hello all,

Just quickly checking in. I finally started the game! I did not notice the option called "Item is destroyed on research". Has that been included automatically now?

Thanks,
Chase

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 05:03:47 am »
Yes, it's now a configurable option per research topic.

Offline Beagleboy

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 12:14:38 pm »
Hello everyone,

Long time fan, first time openXcom user here. I just got done installing openxcom UFO defense, but I am having trouble, and I can't tell if I have done it properly. If somebody could offer guidance I would be most grateful!

Me too!

I'm running Win 10 which seems to throw everything I do slightly off!

I loaded Xcom defence from Steam, used the windows installer and then tried to get the area 51 mod loaded but was rather stumped by the fact I couldn't find a mods folder. So last night I just played open XCom which was great :) but I would like to try the mods!

So when I get home from work tonight I am assuming I should -

• Uninstall everything

Reinstall Xcom Defence from steam

Get the nightly and unzip it to my Desktop

Open the original game's folder. Copy the GEODATA, GEOGRAPH, MAPS, ROUTES, SOUND, TERRAIN, UFOGRAPH, UFOINTRO and UNITS folders to the /openxcom/UFO/ folder of the nightly

Run the nightly

Copy the mods folder to C:/users/yourname/Documents/OpenXCom/mods/

Start OpenXCom

Select the Mods I want

PLAY!

Is that correct?