Author Topic: where openxcom.log file?  (Read 18010 times)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: where openxcom.log file?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2016, 06:19:47 pm »
With that folder structure you shouldn't have the param -data in the run command; the executable already looks for the data in the common/standard folders in the same directory as it.  Also, it might be a good idea to run different executables with different config & user folders, such as config_nightly vs. config_extended.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2016, 06:27:09 pm »
I run it from the same folder as nightly with same params -data -config -user

Data files are not static... with each new version, the data files may change.
When you upgraded from 1.0 to nightly, you had to use the new data files too (and even place them in different directory structure).
And if you upgrade to a newer OpenXcom nightly tomorrow, next week or next month, you will also have to upgrade data files... the old ones will most likely not work correctly or at all.

The same with OXCE, it requires different data files than the OpenXcom nightly.

I am trying to explain this to you for several times now... I was not joking when I asked you to delete everything and start from scratch. I asked you to do that, because it is necessary.

EDIT: also, looking at your screenshot, if you have "common" and "standard" data files already in the root directory... you don't need the "data" directory at all... why have the same thing twice?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 06:33:32 pm by Meridian »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2016, 06:47:42 pm »
I run it from the same folder as nightly with same params -data -config -user

ah yeah, this is a good point.  OXCE is not caught up to the latest nightly and needs the nightly data package from jan 2016.  The data file that Meridian referenced contains those files.

Basic steps for OXCE/OXCE+

(I'd create a new folder for these)
1. Copy in the 3.1 Data folder. (These are the old nightly files)
2. Copy in the Original Game files to the /ufo folder.
3. Copy in your custom .exe built for your debian system.
Try running the game.

If you still run into problems, like yaml or other library errors, I would guess its a disconnect between the versions of these files that were used by rimeia when he built that .exe and the ones on your system.  Its also possible that some may be missing in your system that the build references.  Other linux gurus may be able to help you tease all that out.

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2016, 06:50:22 pm »
The data folder is OK. It is my invention. This folder doesn't have files. I keep here the user and config folder and run the game by command:

"/home/martin/X-Com/Nightly/openxcom" -data "/home/martin/X-Com/Nightly" -user "/home/martin/X-Com/Nightly/data/user" -config "/home/martin/X-Com/Nightly/data/config"

Should I rename it?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2016, 07:00:28 pm »
For the sake of preventing future you's frustration, probably.  Here's a suggestion that may solve some of the problems of keeping versions straight, but all the executables in the same folder.

1.  Rename the current folder structure:
Change your "data" folder, which contains "user" and "config", to "user_nightly", and remove the extra level of "config" and "user" in that folder.

2.  Create "data" folders for different versions:
Get a fresh copy of the nightly and OXCE/+.  Copy their "common" and "standard" folders into new directories name "data_nightly" and "data_extended".

3.  Link everything in your run.sh files:
Make "run_nightly.sh" and "run_extended.sh" files, such that for the nightly you have
Code: [Select]
"/home/martin/X-Com/Nightly/openxcom" -data "/home/martin/X-Com/Nightly/data_nightly" -user "/home/martin/X-Com/Nightly/user_nightly" -config "/home/martin/X-Com/Nightly/user_nightly"and for extended you have
"/home/martin/X-Com/Nightly/OpenXcomEx" -data "/home/martin/X-Com/Nightly/data_extended" -user "/home/martin/X-Com/Nightly/user_extended" -config "/home/martin/X-Com/Nightly/user_extended"

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2016, 07:03:48 pm »
I copied files from Data31.zip and... O may GOD... Finally, it has worked... Please congratulate me.

But some text is missing. Also I saw during the game something like STR_XXX.

And, the movement speed of soldiers is OK.

Thank you guys

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2016, 07:04:02 pm »
Should I rename it?

Strictly speaking, you don't need to rename it, the name doesn't matter.

It's just very weird that you have settings in "data" folder and actual data in a different folder. I think it confused everyone here, including myself.

Anyway, I think everything necessary has been said here already.
To run OXCE you need:
1. OXCE data files in folders "common" and "standard'
2. Original Xcom data files in folder "UFO"
3. and OXCE executable for debian 8... the one someone provided in a different thread

Put them together as they should be and it will work.

If you can't do that, wait for Knapsu's distribution, maybe it will be easier for you that way.

I'm just surprised, especially after seeing how well you have structured and documented your mod and even put it on github... that you have such problems with a few installation steps.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2016, 07:06:21 pm »
I copied files from Data31.zip and... O may GOD... Finally, it has worked... Please congratulate me.

Congratulations.

But some text is missing. Also I saw during the game something like STR_XXX.

Yes, that's my fault.
I will provide default translations eventually.

And, the movement speed of soldiers is OK.

OK, so the FOV calculation was the problem then :(
I don't know if DEVs are interested in patching that into nightlies... I think they will be very hesitant.

Thank you guys

You're welcome.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2016, 07:09:13 pm »

Great!

Just to be clear: These are from the old nightly of Jan 2, 2016.  So your other nightly executable won't work with them. 
See ohartensteins recommendations above for how to handle to sets of data files.

As far as missing strings:
Meridian has a list of them in his thread.  (hmm... just checking.  I don't see them all compiled somewhere nicely in the thread. They are often spread around in other threads where he was working on a feature)...

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2016, 07:26:53 pm »
Yes, I will make game folders correctly. Thank you.

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2016, 02:53:00 am »
I have to say, that soldiers will not move slowly if the OpenXcom game has been complied with Release option:

cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 02:54:43 am by CanadianBeaver »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2016, 05:39:26 pm »
I have to say, that soldiers will not move slowly if the OpenXcom game has been complied with Release option:

cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..

Yeah, this actually makes a lot of sense as the alternative is debug and that can be very burdensome trying to track many different things for logging/dumps, etc.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2016, 06:04:30 pm »
Biggest difference is optimization level. Compilers can do miracles to made program run faster, but this made very hard to debug result of this.