aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1950012 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.8.8 alpha: The Mummy Returns
« Reply #1725 on: April 12, 2018, 11:25:45 am »
Yes, you can forbid the game from spawning new infiltration missions after a certain research.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: April 15, 2018, 11:32:29 am »
Random question: Can you use an "higher tier" lab to research stuff from lower levels?

IE: I have built an Improved Lab, can it be used to research stuff that would require "just" a Standard Lab, or should I built the two? Is it feasible or advisable to create a base with all three types of Labs? It seems it would be too costly IMO.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: April 15, 2018, 04:44:40 pm »
Random question: Can you use an "higher tier" lab to research stuff from lower levels?

IE: I have built an Improved Lab, can it be used to research stuff that would require "just" a Standard Lab, or should I built the two? Is it feasible or advisable to create a base with all three types of Labs? It seems it would be too costly IMO.

Generally speaking, you need all types of labs.

Offline Vangrimar1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: April 16, 2018, 02:16:19 pm »
This question: I created a plug-in mod with a new armor. I want to prohibit its use in some X-file missions. Can I make changes in my fashion or will it conflict with the main game? I just do not want to constantly change the X-files, because they are updated.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: April 16, 2018, 03:28:14 pm »
I have a question/petition:

Can you make the Laser Cannon be considered a "Cannon" type weapon instead of a "Beam" type,  @Solarius Scorch ? I understand why you believed the need that the Plasma Beam needed its own category and limited the number of craft capable of using it, but the "Laser Cannon" doesn't sound as hi-tech as the former, so it would make sense to make it capable of being used by Interceptors and the like. At worst, only by Improved Interceptors and such.
It's also a pure human tech rather than reverse-engineered alien weaponry, for not to mention the description mentions its "cannon-like" features.

Otherwise, you research a weapon that then you cannot use for a long while, seeing how much time and effort it takes to unlock Promotion 3 and then research+produce crafts capable of using Beams.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:44:38 pm by HumanTraitor »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: April 16, 2018, 07:32:04 pm »
This question: I created a plug-in mod with a new armor. I want to prohibit its use in some X-file missions. Can I make changes in my fashion or will it conflict with the main game? I just do not want to constantly change the X-files, because they are updated.

You need to edit startingConditions_XCOMFILES.rul.
What exactly do you want to achieve?

I have a question/petition:

Can you make the Laser Cannon be considered a "Cannon" type weapon instead of a "Beam" type,  @Solarius Scorch ?

No, because it's literally the beamest beam that's ever beamed in X-Com. :)

I understand why you believed the need that the Plasma Beam needed its own category and limited the number of craft capable of using it, but the "Laser Cannon" doesn't sound as hi-tech as the former, so it would make sense to make it capable of being used by Interceptors and the like. At worst, only by Improved Interceptors and such.
It's also a pure human tech rather than reverse-engineered alien weaponry, for not to mention the description mentions its "cannon-like" features.

Plane construction must be completely different for beam weapons... Like having to accommodate a heavy duty reactor. It's pretty much unrealistic to mount it on an Interceptor.

Otherwise, you research a weapon that then you cannot use for a long while, seeing how much time and effort it takes to unlock Promotion 3 and then research+produce crafts capable of using Beams.

Yeah, yeah, I know air combat is still in need of balancing... I'll get there, slowly.

Offline Vangrimar1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: April 17, 2018, 09:19:37 am »
It seems I understood how to change the file startingConditions_XCOMFILES. But I did not understand how to make a certain type of soldier die on an unsuitable mission for him (like dogs under water). How can I do that?
A big request, add the hand lantern the ability to turn on and off (as in illuminators). Very uncomfortable when it is constantly on.
Proposal for underwater missions: it may not be possible to give X-com underwater transport by default, but to make it bought. For missions without transport, just use the appearance points for example for 4 soldiers. Still, the content of underwater vehicles must be serviced and maintained for money.
Still I suggest to tanks instead of useless distance meter to put the device of self-destruction.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:51:39 am by Vangrimar1 »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: April 17, 2018, 01:51:06 pm »
To make the dogs 'drown' underwater, the startingConditions ruleset swaps them into an armor that has negetative health regeneration. It's a dirty trick, but it works.

You can set any illumination item to turn on and off by using priming/unpriming actions, either ayt the moment of priming or after throwing, like the electroflare.

Putting self-destruct on the tanks is impossible except by a hack-y 'weapon'. Also, the rangefinder just fills a slot that would otherwise be blank, so no reason to replace it with something 'useful'.

Offline Vangrimar1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: April 17, 2018, 03:27:32 pm »
Good idea with the armor, thank you.
About the lights: I realized what to do, but I would like it to be in the X-files. :)
About self-destruction: it is very possible, you can make weapons with a range of 0 and apply it to the tank.  :oBUUUM! It's just a proposal, maybe there will be something more interesting.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: April 17, 2018, 10:40:16 pm »
Query: Is the "Communion of Apocalypse" meant to have sooo many enemies? There are like literally 70+ guys and gals running around armed to the teeth. Worse, most have not second-hand weapons, but quite modern stuff from the UAC somehow, including multi-shot rocket launchers.

Right now I'm at the point I stopped my previous play-through, as in I took care of the starting cults, and now I'm wrestling against the Syndicate, Osiron and the occasional Hybrid, I think I'll wait until the next version is up though before continuing.

Speaking of: IS "UAC Outsourcing" bugged, or unfinished? After researching this, nothing happens.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: April 18, 2018, 08:37:15 pm »
Query: Is the "Communion of Apocalypse" meant to have sooo many enemies? There are like literally 70+ guys and gals running around armed to the teeth. Worse, most have not second-hand weapons, but quite modern stuff from the UAC somehow, including multi-shot rocket launchers.

Well, yeah... Depends on difficulty though.
These enemies are squishy, there must be many of them to stand up to you at this point!

Right now I'm at the point I stopped my previous play-through, as in I took care of the starting cults, and now I'm wrestling against the Syndicate, Osiron and the occasional Hybrid, I think I'll wait until the next version is up though before continuing.

Yeah, if you're willing to wait a few days.

Speaking of: IS "UAC Outsourcing" bugged, or unfinished? After researching this, nothing happens.

It gives you the access to buying certain stuff, but it must be researched separately.
(I should add some instant reward though.)

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: April 18, 2018, 09:33:05 pm »
Well, yeah... Depends on difficulty though.
These enemies are squishy, there must be many of them to stand up to you at this point!

I suppose, but still, how come most use UAC weaponry instead of lower-tech guns?
And yeah, they're squishy and easy to kill if you have explosives, but there are so many I thought it was a bug at first.

Yeah, if you're willing to wait a few days.

Lol, that's faster than I had thought. Will the new update be mostly bug-fixes, or will it include new content?

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: April 18, 2018, 11:53:13 pm »
I'm a little worried games starting anywhere else but Europe, Asia, Africa, or Russia are not exactly balanced. Starting in America, too many missions are not possible to reach quickly enough, or with enough people to attack properly, before they vanish.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: April 19, 2018, 08:54:38 pm »
I suppose, but still, how come most use UAC weaponry instead of lower-tech guns?

Who knows? :)

Lol, that's faster than I had thought. Will the new update be mostly bug-fixes, or will it include new content?

Some new content, yes. Nothing groundbreaking, but there will be like three new missions. I'll try to do this over the weekend.

I'm a little worried games starting anywhere else but Europe, Asia, Africa, or Russia are not exactly balanced. Starting in America, too many missions are not possible to reach quickly enough, or with enough people to attack properly, before they vanish.

I don't think it's an issue at all. Most missions take really long to disappear, even if you are on the other side of the planet.

Offline Niewiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: April 20, 2018, 08:51:56 am »
Yeah my first base was in Europe but had a lot of missions both in america and australia where I needed really long time to get.