aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New  (Read 2008010 times)

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin
« Reply #5955 on: February 27, 2024, 04:28:45 pm »
A wall of earth can be destroyed by a lot of things, even by hitting the fist of a power suit. But there are really indestructible (?) blocks in the game. For example, the steel walls of the syndicate headquarters, or similar walls around the brain room of the orbital station.
I was replying to psavola's comment about them being indestructible in unmodded X-Com. I know that in XCF and XPZ they can be destroyed rather easily.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5956 on: February 27, 2024, 04:50:04 pm »
I was replying to psavola's comment about them being indestructible in unmodded X-Com. I know that in XCF and XPZ they can be destroyed rather easily.

Umm, I haven't changed the properties of earth tiles. :)

But granted, XCF provides more ways to deal damage to it.

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: February 27, 2024, 09:11:03 pm »
If my memory serves me correctly, besides blaster missiles, heavy plasma also occasionally may destroy the ground. And in general, in vanilla, the strongest block was the ufo wall. But I may be wrong.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 09:12:47 pm by Akamashi »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: February 29, 2024, 04:31:07 pm »
@Solarius: Have you thought about something like what got buried in the hangar discussion?

I think the one thing that looks increasingly appealing to me is to make the opposition actually coordinate their missions so just hopping from one to the other with the Kitsune and occasionally swatting a UFO won't work. Something like the UFO swarms/waves adopted by several (most?) more modern X-Com-likes.

I don't think there currently exist very good tools to make something like that happen in OXCE, at least not without seriously restructuring the mission scripts. And the mod has moved away from a mono-focus on just one enemy ever since the beginning.

But I just can't but remember how much more fun the geoscape part with this kind of dynamic was in Xeno1/UFO:ET. Neither the original X-Com nor any mod I've played (except Piratez to a degree) has quite scrathed that itch.

Also, I wanted to say my piece about the EMP discussion going on in the bug thread. I think the simplest solution would be to let the jarhead mission have a separate clue that guarantees 100% mission spawn that comes from one of the more obscure but readily available investigations. Perhaps the 'secret files' item? Or the 'really secret files'? Probably not the 'really, really secret files'... :) Although maybe some promotions could come with an "X-Com files" item that tells us about our predecessors? ;D

Because it's true that gating a whole fun weapon class behind a 7% chance to appear is kinda excessive. Then again, the mod has a lot of this kind of gating.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 04:37:54 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Zennaris

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: March 02, 2024, 10:04:38 pm »
Hello. I clicked something accidentally while browsing my base and got interior view with 2 levels, rooms in facilities and my dog. I guess this is what you see in a base defense. What key does this? I can't find it in options and the manual.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: March 02, 2024, 10:28:30 pm »
No key, but it's this. So clicking on the Access Lift does it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 10:30:02 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: March 03, 2024, 07:24:56 pm »
No key, but it's this. So clicking on the Access Lift does it.

Can this be used to pre place solders for base attacks ?
I'm always confused about how that placement is randomly summed up.
Like 4 guys in one room upstairs near the lift, then 1 guy in the rear corner and so on.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: March 03, 2024, 08:30:06 pm »
No. You just get the dog (or some other random soldier). X-Com doesn't really seem to have a proper base defence protocol, everyone just grabs a gun whereever they happen to be when the aliens land.

Offline bluth

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: March 06, 2024, 02:07:10 pm »
Just wanted to say that after a rough start, I followed some advice and learnt the mod better and I'm having an incredible time with XCF + Brutal AI. It might be my best XCOM experience yet and I am a long term fan. Once I launch it I just can't put it down, it is really a great video game.

Thanks everyone involved in the process !

Offline Chromeo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: March 10, 2024, 07:46:32 pm »
Hello, the info page for 7.62 Clip seems to be broken, you can't get to that page on 'stats for nerds' and none of the rifles in that chamber show an ammo type on their ufopedia page. Could you tell me what its damage stat is as I'm trying to decide between M16 and FN FAL?

As an aside thank you for the mod <3

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: March 10, 2024, 08:23:54 pm »
If you can't access it, you haven't researched it (ammo is usually researched indirectly). Did you study some captured M-14s without having access to them through the red tape?

Anyway, you can check out all sorts of stats either in the wiki, or starting a Quick Battle and using the fully unlocked Ufopedia there ('U' brings it up).

Offline Chromeo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: March 10, 2024, 08:46:02 pm »
If you can't access it, you haven't researched it (ammo is usually researched indirectly). Did you study some captured M-14s without having access to them through the red tape?

Anyway, you can check out all sorts of stats either in the wiki, or starting a Quick Battle and using the fully unlocked Ufopedia there ('U' brings it up).

I have acquisition unlocked for almost all the standard rifles, I should have 7.62 ammo researched no?

You're right though, I can see it in the New Battle ufopedia.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: March 10, 2024, 08:50:39 pm »
No, you only get to see the ammo in the pedia when you've 'researched' buying the guns. Which is gated behind Promo II.

Discard, if you have acquisition for at least one of M-14/FN-FAL/Galil, you should also have 7.62 ammo in the pedia. What version of XCF and OXCE are you on? Better yet, can you share your save?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 08:52:50 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Chromeo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: March 10, 2024, 10:52:15 pm »
No, you only get to see the ammo in the pedia when you've 'researched' buying the guns. Which is gated behind Promo II.

Discard, if you have acquisition for at least one of M-14/FN-FAL/Galil, you should also have 7.62 ammo in the pedia. What version of XCF and OXCE are you on? Better yet, can you share your save?
Never mind, it is showing up now, maybe looking at it in battle mode triggered it, I don't know. Well thanks for helping anyways.

Offline Chromeo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: March 14, 2024, 03:48:19 pm »
How do you get the data disk out of the computer in Syndicate Data Seizure? I can see an item on the map but on a tile blocked by an object, do I need to blow it up?