aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New  (Read 2007803 times)

Offline theophilos

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 3.1: Lights in The Sky
« Reply #5775 on: November 30, 2023, 09:48:11 am »
OHHHHHHH

I always assumed the timer started as soon as was no longer held because they didn't blow up in inventory

Understand now

Btw with the mines, how do they trigger exactly? Only stepping directly on them? People seem to like them a lot , I put them on dogs too, but it seems hard to throw them very far

Btw wish there was a way to hide walls in order to see ground items better, that's another reason I don't use them much I'm afraid of forgetting they are there

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5776 on: November 30, 2023, 10:14:31 am »
I always assumed the timer started as soon as was no longer held because they didn't blow up in inventory
Well, you can change them to blow up in the inventory, too, if you wish. >:D

Mines are basically heavier proxies. They trigger when someone move into one of the 8 adjacent tiles - but not when someone walks under them or hovers over them, if you're into that. Or onto the tile directly, but that's largely limited to fliers and elevators.

If mines seem too heavy, proxies are some ways up the tech tree. There are even improved proxies in XCF.

Mines are very much supposed to lurk and surprise you. :P There can even be mines that are invisible on the minimap (and/or have no floorobj), but thankfully these haven't migrated over from Piratez. Well, except for one little surprise.

No way to hide walls that I know of. X-Com was before that became a thing.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 10:17:50 am by Juku121 »

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: November 30, 2023, 10:45:36 am »
Btw wish there was a way to hide walls in order to see ground items better, that's another reason I don't use them much I'm afraid of forgetting they are there
Check minimap, activated grenades/mines show as red crosses. I do forget about the mines all the time, makes for some hilarious moments. And/or semi-intended tactic - throw a mine at mook, move a dog to blow it up.

Offline theophilos

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5778 on: December 01, 2023, 01:33:49 am »
Nothing is more depressing than one of your best guys running to an osprey while on fire and realizing forgot to load the extinguishers 😢

Btw do people on fire sometimes extinguish themselves? I thought I saw it happen on a playthrough vid once , and if so how is it calculated for a fire to go out on someone ? Is it just a base %

Edit:

He survived after 3-4 turns must have been the extra health from bio enhancement that kept him going 😂 fire went out
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 01:53:58 am by theophilos »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5779 on: December 01, 2023, 10:32:11 am »
Yes, people and aliens and tanks and dogs and so on all get extinguished in a few turns. Details.

Smoke grenades also put out ground fires, but sadly not units.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 10:36:12 am by Juku121 »

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #5780 on: December 01, 2023, 07:12:46 pm »
Nothing is more depressing than one of your best guys running to an osprey while on fire and realizing forgot to load the extinguishers 😢

Coming soon in The Xcom files newest update: "Stop, drop and roll feature"  ;D

This literally happened to me last week. Forgot the extinguisher. Guy was on fire for a few turns. Health loss not bad but was in sickbay for a while.

Offline Sneak Dog

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5781 on: December 01, 2023, 08:07:36 pm »
Coming soon in The Xcom files newest update: "Stop, drop and roll feature"  ;D

This literally happened to me last week. Forgot the extinguisher. Guy was on fire for a few turns. Health loss not bad but was in sickbay for a while.

Give kneeling a 5% chance to stop being on fire? :D

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #5782 on: December 02, 2023, 02:32:29 pm »
Give kneeling a 5% chance to stop being on fire? :D

You are on to something.

Continuous kneeling/standing putting fire out.

Offline Belcanzor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5783 on: December 05, 2023, 04:02:59 am »
I just start your mod incredible mod.
First question:
Whats the deal with the Mudranger? Some kind of internal joke?
And: An entire hangar for just a car? I try not add much mods and play as pure of your design, but I know there is an hangar mod.
Again: Incredible!

Offline zee_ra

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5784 on: December 05, 2023, 04:52:04 am »

Mines are very much supposed to lurk and surprise you. :P There can even be mines that are invisible on the minimap (and/or have no floorobj), but thankfully these haven't migrated over from Piratez. Well, except for one little surprise.

Is the "little surprise" a charge that attempts to blow my weapon stash on mansion defense missions?  If so, how could I eliminate it proactively?  The aim is to prevent too much inventory management in/out and to avoid losing expensive weapons (like e.g. psi-amps, medi-kits, very custom rockets).

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: December 05, 2023, 05:00:38 am »
One ways of "protecting" the stash is CTRL+SHIFT+X at base -> craft -> inventory equipment screen. That will remove all unused equipment from the stash.

Offline Nerro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5786 on: December 05, 2023, 03:57:43 pm »
I just start your mod incredible mod.
First question:
Whats the deal with the Mudranger? Some kind of internal joke?
[...]
Mudranger is very usefull if you need to bring a lot of soldiers to something very upsetting that can spawn too close to you base if RNG hates you. (You will see what I'm talking about in time.)
Other than that, I find it useless.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5787 on: December 05, 2023, 07:32:42 pm »
Is the "little surprise" a charge that attempts to blow my weapon stash on mansion defense missions?
No, it's the
Spoiler:
lurking Cybermites. I think they're only found on the Moon, and hatch pretty quickly, so not a big issue. But a proxy mine based on that could be nasty.

Mudranger is also handy for assaulting cult HQs, since those spawn in fixed locations. But, yes, it's a rather niche craft otherwise. Myself, I made it into a proto-Osprey, 12 men with global reach (the idea was that they fly to a military base and borrow an APC from there) but as slow as a van or thereabouts.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 10:14:02 am by Juku121 »

Offline Belcanzor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5788 on: December 06, 2023, 02:47:39 am »
Mudranger is very usefull if you need to bring a lot of soldiers to something very upsetting that can spawn too close to you base if RNG hates you. (You will see what I'm talking about in time.)
Other than that, I find it useless.
Perhaps buy it at the start was a bad idea. Thanks for answer. I m still exploring the mod and restart several times because I fail to understand this is a total conversion , as example: first thing I did in my 1st try was using all the money on hire scientist at day 1 :p

Offline Belcanzor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5789 on: December 06, 2023, 02:49:30 am »
No, it's the
Spoiler:
lurking Cybermites. I think they're only found on the Moon, and hatch preyyu quickly, so not a big issue. But a proxy mine based on that could be nasty.

Mudranger is also handy for assaulting cult HQs, since those spawn in fixed locations. But, yes, it's a rather niche craft otherwise. Myself, I made it into a proto-Osprey, 12 men with global reach (the idea was that they fly to a military base and borrow an APC from there) but as slow as a van or thereabouts.
Thank you. I try to find that proto-Osprey. I hope some way of lab appear soon because I got tons of stuff to investigate and just 5 people.