aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New  (Read 2008388 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: The X-Com Files - 2.7: Spectral Entities
« Reply #4935 on: December 27, 2022, 12:16:04 pm »
Hmm, not sure either. Maybe Advanced Intel Center? Thay may not be enough, though. Perhaps some high-up cultist interrogation, or possibly even a separate mission to save some hapless Kiryu-Kai veteran who tells you where to start looking?

Edit: Thought about it some more. This is probably too convoluted, but when has that stopped me? :P

(...)[/quote]

Overall a solid idea, worty considering. Maybe not with chupas (I agree with Stone Lake it might be overused), but some other faction is possible. We have some underused groups, like the Apocalypse. Osiron clearly fits the bill, but I think some factions are more desperate for new missions.
I'll put it in the suggestions bucket. For now, I'll just add Advanced Intel Center to the prereqs.

Edit2: It looks like you missed the strings for 'Light Missile'? In both the Pedia and on the craft.

Not sure what you mean, missed in what sense? Where can you see the bug?

I'm happy to assist with that. I really enjoy balancing the air game. Here's what I've got so far in case you want to use some of it:

(...)

I balanced both the MiG-31 and the Arrow for Promotion II and to work with 1 normal cannon so far.
I made the MiG-17 into a overall crappy craft, but I increased the spawn count to 3. The MiG-29 is jack of all trades, master of none. The Mirage has a high reload time, but also high damage and is faster than the X-Com MiG and the Phantom is a cannon craft with low range, low damage but constant fire.

Umm... What really hits me is that planes have absurd ranges in your model. I can't gauge it very precisely without actually modding it in, but the MiG is probably intercontinental.

As for the speed changes, I'm afraid I'd be eaten alive with these speed changes, but I'll think about it.

The 'Lost Alien Ship Data Analysis' says we have no hope of developing a sufficient tech base for replicating this any time soon. Not X-Com, not the world governments, not the Illuminati Council, not MAGMA, not the Syndicate, nobody. So I imagine they tried and concluded that alien hand-me-downs and tech derived from those were better for their shadow ops than trying to work with Mrrshan propulsion systems (or Gnolam, or whoever these bat critters are :) ), speedrun a few centuries of tech base development and get who knows what kind of social side effects to go with it.

Yes, pretty much. It does not mean that Mrrshan ships (yes, it's the cat people) can't be retroengineered, only that Ethereal tech is more advanced and more readily available, so why bother.

AFAIK, the 'psychonaut' bit is entirely fan fiction. The Goldhawk game had no substance (ab)use that I can recall, not even non-health medikit charges.

It's just a joke. Well, maybe a bit of a jab. :P

For the Hacienda, the lack of a clear path for the AI to close does play havoc with enemy movements from time to time. I've played the map maybe 5 times and after the first, it became clear that the AI didn't really know how to send troops to the parapets, aside from the few that start there, and if I didn't punch a hole in the wall for them to escape, I could lob explosives over into the courtyard and start the morale failure cascade before I'd even breached the gate. After that, most of the enemies units in the main building would congregate in the hallway leading to the front door, making them once again subject to gas and grenades. Overall, I think it is a good mission, it only runs into some trouble once you've seen it enough to exploit the AI behavior on it.

Yeah, the AI doesn't always do well in situations other than what we have in vanilla (ships and terror sites), especially when such advanced concepts as "defense walls" are involved. I did what I could with the routes...

Offline amokk_gw

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: December 27, 2022, 06:11:50 pm »
Umm... What really hits me is that planes have absurd ranges in your model. I can't gauge it very precisely without actually modding it in, but the MiG is probably intercontinental.

Whoops, my bad. Good catch! I accidentally gave you the debug values I used for easier testing. I think fuelMax of 550 for the MiG and 600 for the Arrow would be good.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: December 27, 2022, 11:13:45 pm »
Whoops, my bad. Good catch! I accidentally gave you the debug values I used for easier testing. I think fuelMax of 550 for the MiG and 600 for the Arrow would be good.

Yeah, that's different. :)
Thanks, but I still need to approach the entire model as a whole... Because everything is interconnected... I'll keep your suggestions in mind.

Offline RolandVasko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: December 28, 2022, 04:32:16 pm »
yaya!  new releases! (boths) :D

wish luck and only best events in new year! to all

btw.just 1suggestion for vehicles:

car - Alfa Romeo 156 GT  (or 159 even)   :-* :P yap, it isnt just "car", but it´s cat-car, haha!
https://www.google.com/search?q=Alfa+Romeo+156+GT&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=2N9R0-q8S8UpdM&imgdii=ngQUL8Go85m5GM

airplane - SR-72 DarkStar  ( M7+ hi-Altitude Strategic SpyPlane (well, possible as in strato-bomber, /missiles carrier - launcher, possible too)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 04:41:25 pm by RolandVasko »

Offline amokk_gw

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: December 28, 2022, 04:48:10 pm »
Yeah, that's different. :)
Thanks, but I still need to approach the entire model as a whole... Because everything is interconnected... I'll keep your suggestions in mind.

Let me know if you need any help with testing!

Offline Moth_Of_Decay

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: January 03, 2023, 10:49:16 am »
I've been thinking about the relative lack of "Files" in the mod, and about how more espionage or investigation style missions might be incorporated within the limits of the X-COM Engine. Here are some ideas I thought I'd share:

#1) "Evidence Interception" - Using the time limit mechanic of the crop circles you could create a mission without any enemies.* Limited to a civilian vehicle the agents have to explore the area which is littered with various objects, find what they think is most important, and haul it back to the escape vehicle before authorities show up.

*If the game engine requires enemies, an unshakable enemy hidden in an inaccessible location would get the job done.

You might vary up the score possibilities by having one particular item that - if you leave without it - you suffer a point penalty. Or alternatively taking certain useful items (like briefcases of cash) could offer an early game temptation at the cost of score.

One interesting possibility would be raiding a police warehouse, where the time limit is represented by hostile police units showing up as "Reinforcements" - which obviously you get penalized for killing should you end up in a shootout.

#2) "Deep Cover Operation" - Using the camouflage mechanic we could potentially emulate an actual disguise by making the agent essentially invisible to the enemies. If it is possible to alter the visibility levels dynamically, certain actions might reduce the effectiveness of the "camouflage" which represents the enemy becoming suspicious of your actions.

Kind of riffing off the "Find the Item" style mission I described above, if picking up an item would "Drop the Disguise" you could create an interesting scenario where the player has to figure out where to position their agents for the best chance at escaping once their cover is blown, etc.

Anyhow - these were just two ideas I had. This mod has always pushed the limits of what I imagined XCOM could do, and finding new ways to explore the investigative side of the concept would be cool as hell. (Or maybe I just want undercover jobs that cannot be solved by hitting a cultist with a wrench.)

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: January 03, 2023, 05:11:30 pm »
I've been thinking about the relative lack of "Files" in the mod, and about how more espionage or investigation style missions might be incorporated within the limits of the X-COM Engine. Here are some ideas I thought I'd share:

#1) "Evidence Interception" - Using the time limit mechanic of the crop circles you could create a mission without any enemies.* Limited to a civilian vehicle the agents have to explore the area which is littered with various objects, find what they think is most important, and haul it back to the escape vehicle before authorities show up.

*If the game engine requires enemies, an unshakable enemy hidden in an inaccessible location would get the job done.

You might vary up the score possibilities by having one particular item that - if you leave without it - you suffer a point penalty. Or alternatively taking certain useful items (like briefcases of cash) could offer an early game temptation at the cost of score.

One interesting possibility would be raiding a police warehouse, where the time limit is represented by hostile police units showing up as "Reinforcements" - which obviously you get penalized for killing should you end up in a shootout.

#2) "Deep Cover Operation" - Using the camouflage mechanic we could potentially emulate an actual disguise by making the agent essentially invisible to the enemies. If it is possible to alter the visibility levels dynamically, certain actions might reduce the effectiveness of the "camouflage" which represents the enemy becoming suspicious of your actions.

Kind of riffing off the "Find the Item" style mission I described above, if picking up an item would "Drop the Disguise" you could create an interesting scenario where the player has to figure out where to position their agents for the best chance at escaping once their cover is blown, etc.

Anyhow - these were just two ideas I had. This mod has always pushed the limits of what I imagined XCOM could do, and finding new ways to explore the investigative side of the concept would be cool as hell. (Or maybe I just want undercover jobs that cannot be solved by hitting a cultist with a wrench.)

Lets take this dude to the team.

Offline amokk_gw

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: January 04, 2023, 10:46:10 pm »

Just wanted to say, I love all your suggestions, really great ideas!

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: January 05, 2023, 02:57:24 am »
I don't think trying to force OXC(E) into what it is not - a stealth game, or even a game with stealth - is a terribly inspired idea.

OTOH, I too would appreciate more 'Files' and the first idea is pretty good. For starters, it'd be enough to have the currently rather lackluster investigation missions have
  • More interesting loot (Psiclones and other 'cool gadgets', piles of cash, certain artifacts like alloys or high-tech pistols, secret files :) of various sorts, better loot boxes like Osiron crates, etc).
  • Weak initial enemies, mostly civilian-tier with fisticuffs or so. Maybe some hidden enemy deep underground or inside some indestructible monument to keep things going.
  • And something to the tune of manor reinforcements coming in ~10 turns to make you forget about solving the problem by hitting them in the face unless you're sporting super-soldiers and 'year 2000'-tier infiltration equipment.
One could certainly expand the loot to include more mystery research, but that'd take some considerable planning to integrate into the rest of the game. New graphics, too, most likely.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 02:59:32 am by Juku121 »

Offline Xylon666Darkstar

• Captain
  • "With Doom, We Come."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: January 05, 2023, 05:14:52 am »
I'd love me some more counter-action in some way or form in these years/missions by the MiB. Or more MiB conflict in general, and knee deeper with them during Alien Invasion phase.

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: January 05, 2023, 06:58:21 am »
Forgive my criticism... But I like any of the suggestions listed above more than all the new haunted missions from the latest patch. There is no new architecture in the new haunted missions, the missions are always gloomy, and the fight against the enemy is chaotic. All this whistling does not fit well with the ent of the game. I've played all the variants of the new haunted missions 1-2 times, and now I always miss them. They are boring and bring only frustration. This is unfortunate content in my opinion.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: January 05, 2023, 11:54:26 am »

I had many similar ideas, not realized due to what the engine allowed back then. Now it would be easier to do (albeit still hacky; see the "an unshakable enemy hidden in an inaccessible location" clause), but I think having a whole mission with a battle map would be awkward. I'd rather have a feature where you simply fly there and there's a popup with description, like an event; but I don't think this is viable. This is why I made some events.

This would be rather hard to do well in OXCE.

Perhaps you would be interested in trying Finnik's mod "From the Ashes". It uses a custom OXCE with various unique stealth/investigation mechanics.

I'd love me some more counter-action in some way or form in these years/missions by the MiB. Or more MiB conflict in general, and knee deeper with them during Alien Invasion phase.

Yes, I plan to develop their arc further and focus on them more as a major enemy (perhaps even more than Cydonia).

Forgive my criticism... But I like any of the suggestions listed above more than all the new haunted missions from the latest patch. There is no new architecture in the new haunted missions, the missions are always gloomy, and the fight against the enemy is chaotic. All this whistling does not fit well with the ent of the game. I've played all the variants of the new haunted missions 1-2 times, and now I always miss them. They are boring and bring only frustration. This is unfortunate content in my opinion.

Criticism accepted.

Looks like you simply didn't like this entire arc's concept. This is fine; it has always been intended as a wacky side gig with different rules. It's perfectly okay to ignore it.
When I find the time to play seriously, I may tweak this further.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 04:40:35 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: January 05, 2023, 09:13:04 pm »
I thought of a few myself.
I'm on my second round of playing this game and would love a way to speed up research.

- purchasing "Research redemption tokens".  Would be put to use for the Cost/spent hours in research time. Could make them fairly expensive too so it would not be abused. Example 1k per hour.
- Maybe even applying this same method towards score. Buying score points.

The major flaw I encountered was losing this game due to low score. The game is difficult enough without having to worry about this. But can't be totally excluded. That is why purchasing score points, research points and possibly even manufacturing points (to speed up manufacturing) might be worth exploring.

All 3 of these things can be accomplished editing normal saved game files. I can not see the difficulty in implementing it.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: January 05, 2023, 09:15:06 pm »

All 3 of these things can be accomplished editing normal saved game files. I can not see the difficulty in implementing it.

This coming from a guy who has never made a mod in his life  ;D

Offline SBBurzmali

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: January 05, 2023, 10:20:23 pm »
I thought of a few myself.
I'm on my second round of playing this game and would love a way to speed up research.

- purchasing "Research redemption tokens".  Would be put to use for the Cost/spent hours in research time. Could make them fairly expensive too so it would not be abused. Example 1k per hour.
- Maybe even applying this same method towards score. Buying score points.

The major flaw I encountered was losing this game due to low score. The game is difficult enough without having to worry about this. But can't be totally excluded. That is why purchasing score points, research points and possibly even manufacturing points (to speed up manufacturing) might be worth exploring.

The issue is that money is quite busted at the moment, so not an ideal time to implement game defining features on top of the..