Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1950253 times)

Offline justaround

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.9e2: Summertime Lovin'
« Reply #2685 on: August 11, 2019, 09:12:37 am »
I honestly don't see the difference then - in both cases you're asking for free loot for aliens you didn't fight and who might not have spawned in the first place (seeing how the numbers aren't fixed).
But I fought those aliens - those who did die aren't "free" loot, they didn't become such just because, they were killed by air defences I spent money on and built exactly so they can kill aliens. That's why the effect looks like penalizing the player for using the facilities (air defences) the way they were meant to be used.

And how is shooting down an UFO to salvage it any different from the case we're talking about here? In both cases the UFO get's damages, parts of it are destroyed and crew members are killed. Why should you benefit more from one than from the other?
If you don't see a difference between shooting down an UFO to salvage it and claiming one which landed during base raid, it sounds like by your logic, for the sake of consistency, claiming the latter after the base raid should be a thing.

Again, going by your (or OP's) logic, we should be able to also salvage the UFO after a base assault - which is ridiculous.
Out of curiosity, why do you think it's ridiculous, aside from simply your subjective and arbitrary decision that in one case it should be a thing (salvaging downed UFO) and in the other - not?

I don't see why you should benefit from base attacks at all. In my oppinion there should be no 'free loot' either.
You should benefit from base attacks at all because those are opportunities where source of the benefit comes to you with items and materials that are benefit. I understand you have an opinion but you base your whole argument on "cause I think/say so". Don't you think that such, especially in the context of you questioning my logic in your first "logic much?", just on account of your personal taste, cause you like things in some particular way is needlessly rude and unfitting as an argument?

Yes, losing a base 'is condition of failure' - not losing it means you won. That's the point. The loot is entirely optional and (should) not (be) the point of the mission.
Why is that the point for any other reason than you declaring it to be so? If I'll claim the point is to be just another challenge, with risk, potential profit, danger of failure etc - why is that somehow less viable approach? Cause you have a different opinion? I argued for certain things from the standpoint of consistency and believability (aliens which are dead upon approach toward the base could still yield something to not make not shooting the UFO at all more profitable than damaging it, so it wouldn't encourage less defences and punish player for employing the ones they have if they are already confident they'd defend the base from undamaged UFO with full staff) but you simply force your opinion on me cause you think mine is ridiculous on grounds of you "thinking things" things. I'm fine to agree to disagree but we won't get anywhere further than that in such a way cause you provide absolutely no arguments, merely telling me how you like or dislike things.

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: August 11, 2019, 12:11:41 pm »
Military asks help with SpikeBoar Invasion:
(Superhuman/ironman)

The Military asked us to help them with a SpikeBoar Invasion. I threw some 46 units at them. All the ~10 drones and the 8 dogs were killed. The military was pounding the SpikeBoars lazily, their machinegun-APC only killed two monsters at the end of the battle.   It was a total mayhem. My PC slowed down noticeably handling the many units on the battlefield and of course there was immense amount of smoke, many-many corpses & some little fire.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: August 11, 2019, 12:27:24 pm »
But I fought those aliens - those who did die aren't "free" loot, they didn't become such just because, they were killed by air defences I spent money on and built exactly so they can kill aliens. That's why the effect looks like penalizing the player for using the facilities (air defences) the way they were meant to be used.
...which brings us full circle - again. Going by that argument, you should also get full loot when you destroy the UFO - after all, those aliens "were killed by air defences I spent money on and built exactly so they can kill aliens" too, weren't they? See why this doesn't add up? No, you don't get penalized - you're simply fighting less aliens.

And again, how is this supposed to work in-game? Do the surviving aliens drag their dead comrades out of the departing UFO into your hangar bays just so you don't have to feel penalized? I don't think so. This is simply a ridiculous idea you're trying to float, and implementing it would lead to even more inconsistencies.

If you don't see a difference between shooting down an UFO to salvage it and claiming one which landed during base raid, it sounds like by your logic, for the sake of consistency, claiming the latter after the base raid should be a thing.
That's not my logic - i don't think you should be able to do that - but it's a logical extension of what you're proposing. How else are you supposed to be able to claim those bodies&equipment? Either the aliens take time and drag them out of the departing UFO, or you recover them from the UFO that's still sitting above your base - unmanned and defenseless - but somehow isn't part of the recovery.

Tell me, which of those options sounds less ridiculous to you?

How about a third option - one that acutally makes sense - the missing aliens were killed & vaporized upon impact, destroying their bodies&equipment. Problem solved.

Out of curiosity, why do you think it's ridiculous, aside from simply your subjective and arbitrary decision that in one case it should be a thing (salvaging downed UFO) and in the other - not?
Because it would utterly break the game balance, among other things.

You should benefit from base attacks at all because those are opportunities where source of the benefit comes to you with items and materials that are benefit. I understand you have an opinion but you base your whole argument on "cause I think/say so". Don't you think that such, especially in the context of you questioning my logic in your first "logic much?", just on account of your personal taste, cause you like things in some particular way is needlessly rude and unfitting as an argument?
I explicitly said that 'not benefitting from base attacks' was MY opinion. That has nothing to to with your proposition. Stop trying to redirect the argument.

[snip]I'm fine to agree to disagree but we won't get anywhere further than that in such a way cause you provide absolutely no arguments, merely telling me how you like or dislike things.
I've pointed out multiple times why your idea makes no sense, and you have yet to adress the most glaring shortcomings of what you're proposing. I'm not the one having no arguments. You're on thin ice right now, i'd advise you take a step back and actually look at what your proposition would entail.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 02:15:45 pm by krautbernd »

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: August 11, 2019, 12:29:44 pm »
Military asks help with SpikeBoar Invasion:
(Superhuman/ironman)

The Military asked us to help them with a SpikeBoar Invasion. I threw some 46 units at them. All the ~10 drones and the 8 dogs were killed. The military was pounding the SpikeBoars lazily, their machinegun-APC only killed two monsters at the end of the battle.   It was a total mayhem. My PC slowed down noticeably handling the many units on the battlefield and of course there was immense amount of smoke, many-many corpses & some little fire.
Yeah but, then again the mod isn't balanced for higher difficulties. Spike boars are already kind of OP on normal difficulties. What were you expecting? At least on normal it kind of makes sense that military might stand a chance because of their numbers. On higher difficulties it just get's utterly ridiculous.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 12:32:04 pm by krautbernd »

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: August 11, 2019, 04:20:53 pm »
Yeah but, then again the mod isn't balanced for higher difficulties. Spike boars are already kind of OP on normal difficulties. What were you expecting? At least on normal it kind of makes sense that military might stand a chance because of their numbers. On higher difficulties it just get's utterly ridiculous.
I was expecting exactly what I got: nail-biting drama. Trying to avoid a wipeout of my platoon by SpikeBoars.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: August 11, 2019, 04:23:34 pm »
I was expecting exactly what I got: nail-biting drama. Trying to avoid a wipeout of my platoon by SpikeBoars.
So just like early game encounters with spike boars on veteran difficulty then?  ;)

Offline Jwinsler

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.9e2: Summertime Lovin'
« Reply #2691 on: August 11, 2019, 05:18:26 pm »
Can someone answer me some things?

What exactly does "Training" do?, what does healing spray heal exactly? And how long for agents to usually recover back to max stats?

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: August 11, 2019, 08:51:18 pm »
Can someone answer me some things?

What exactly does "Training" do?, what does healing spray heal exactly? And how long for agents to usually recover back to max stats?

1. Training at gym (see yor starting base). There your soldiers will increase their stats  (max. training stats are limited). You can also train your dogs there.
2. Spray heals critical wounds as normal medkit, but with it soldier can heal HIMSELF without help from others. Its emergency help in critical situations. You'll be able to buy big sprays in future after research. They are rather expensive for early period of game, so use them carefully.
3. If you mean health recovery rate, so healing time depends on buldings: biolaboratory and hospital (after you'll research each of them). Without them health recovery rate 1 hp per day. With them 2 per day.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 09:42:38 pm by gwynbleidd2019 »

Offline Jwinsler

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: August 11, 2019, 11:10:24 pm »
1. Training at gym (see yor starting base). There your soldiers will increase their stats  (max. training stats are limited). You can also train your dogs there.
2. Spray heals critical wounds as normal medkit, but with it soldier can heal HIMSELF without help from others. Its emergency help in critical situations. You'll be able to buy big sprays in future after research. They are rather expensive for early period of game, so use them carefully.
3. If you mean health recovery rate, so healing time depends on buldings: biolaboratory and hospital (after you'll research each of them). Without them health recovery rate 1 hp per day. With them 2 per day.

Thanks, but for #3 I mean how long for things like TU and other things to heal up? Like see how some of mines missing and red lines I drew on other stats where sometimes the bar isnt full.

https://i.imgur.com/O1go1wH.png Here.

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: August 12, 2019, 01:03:08 am »
https://i.imgur.com/O1go1wH.png

Your TUs are reduced due to armor. They will never "heal" unless you take off the armor.

Offline Draykoth

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: August 12, 2019, 09:48:53 am »
Thanks, but for #3 I mean how long for things like TU and other things to heal up? Like see how some of mines missing and red lines I drew on other stats where sometimes the bar isnt full.

https://i.imgur.com/O1go1wH.png Here.

The time units are reduced from the Kevlar vest, you can see the details in the UFOpedia.
The other stats where you drew red lines, are increases since the soldier was hired, either from training or combat experience.
They are entirely permanent and only serve to show how much better your soldier is since he was recruited.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 10:30:26 am by Draykoth »

Offline Fiskun1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: August 12, 2019, 12:54:32 pm »
To what values do the characteristics grow during training and how to understand that they will not increase anymore?

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: August 12, 2019, 01:48:32 pm »
To what values do the characteristics grow during training and how to understand that they will not increase anymore?
The game will notify you when the training is finished. You can look up and modify the max training stats in the ruleset (soldiers.rul).

Offline Fiskun1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: August 12, 2019, 01:59:22 pm »
The game will notify you when the training is finished. You can look up and modify the max training stats in the ruleset (soldiers.rul).

Interestingly, the game somehow prohibits re-training? So that the training place is not taken in vain? I have not yet reached the maximum of characteristics and do not know how the game reacts to this.
Thanks for the answers, you help me a lot!

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: August 12, 2019, 05:36:03 pm »
What do you mean, "re-training"? The agents get removed from the training schedule and can't be re-entered as they'Ve reached their max. training stats.