aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New  (Read 2008658 times)

Offline DevFried

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.8: X-Cool
« Reply #2445 on: April 20, 2019, 02:22:46 am »
I agree it's sometimes beneficial to spawn near the cult building, but not when they're all already outside waiting for you to move (which makes sense actually because they had you coming). Charging at them like that would be suicidal with every armed dude shooting at you not once, but three-four times with their full TUs. So what usually happens:
1. You spawn super close to the base. Cultists are inside, whom you can effortlessly whack as they try to exit, for extra sadist points you can also burn/poison all the exits so they set themselves on fire/damage themselves as they move, throw the mines, cooked grenades, etc, full police brutality mode. That's the easiest smackdown and it's really fun.
2. Same as 1, but cultists are all outside swarming your vehicle and staring at you. This is where you die. Sometimes you can make it if you're able to kill the closest dudes without dying and taking cover behind your car/near objects which never seem to spawn closely (but all enemies conveniently have cover), however this always results at least in one injury.
3. You spawn relatively far on the opposite corner of the building. This can be either slow and boring, or exciting and thrilling infiltration with long-range sniping involved. Enemies can surprise you with their sniper-spotter tactic too and grenade launcher you all the way from their base (which you can do too and it's fun seeing them go apeshit when you grenade their highest ranking dude from afar as they start shooting each other).

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: April 20, 2019, 07:35:32 pm »
I tried the master version of Github to get a sneak peek to what Sol is planning.

These new pets are funny to use, but they seem to be rare and not as good as "proper" dogs or scout drones.

Nevertheless, I have a question to make I'm not sure if it's been asked already: Does smoke caused by the fire extinguisher also hide units like a smoke bomb does? I would believe so, but it would be better to confirm it. Also, can a smoke bomb extinguish an unit on fire as well, or is it an exclusive script thing to the fire extinguisher?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2447 on: April 20, 2019, 08:43:12 pm »
I tried the master version of Github to get a sneak peek to what Sol is planning.

These new pets are funny to use, but they seem to be rare and not as good as "proper" dogs or scout drones.

Depends on what you expect of them; if you want damage, rats obviously aren't as good as dogs or tanquettes. I use them primarily for nigh vision, though Lady managed to kill a Dagon disciple in two hits! (after many misses)

Nevertheless, I have a question to make I'm not sure if it's been asked already: Does smoke caused by the fire extinguisher also hide units like a smoke bomb does? I would believe so, but it would be better to confirm it. Also, can a smoke bomb extinguish an unit on fire as well, or is it an exclusive script thing to the fire extinguisher?

AFAIR only the fire extinguisher works on units.
There is only one type of smoke in the game.

Offline Covenant

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: April 21, 2019, 03:11:28 am »
Does anyone have any tips for effective use of melee tactics? Based on Sol's previous reply (and things others have said in this thread previously) it sounds like it can be strong, but whenever I've gone that way it always ends up being 'Run toward the enemy - get wounded in a hail of reaction fire - half my guys miss their targets and wind up standing in front of them, bleeding - other half kill their targets but are left out in the open - everybody dies when the enemy takes their turn'.

Obviously, I get that it's not appropriate to every situation (you can't charge across a wide open field to stab someone on the other side of the map) but short of indoor missions like the Black Lotus party I can't really make effective use of it. Are you waiting until you have strong protection like cyber armour, or are you using your rookies as expendable kamikazes? Maybe I just need to use more smoke grenades.

Offline Space

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: April 21, 2019, 07:48:57 am »
Does anyone have any tips for effective use of melee tactics? Based on Sol's previous reply (and things others have said in this thread previously) it sounds like it can be strong, but whenever I've gone that way it always ends up being 'Run toward the enemy - get wounded in a hail of reaction fire - half my guys miss their targets and wind up standing in front of them, bleeding - other half kill their targets but are left out in the open - everybody dies when the enemy takes their turn'.

Obviously, I get that it's not appropriate to every situation (you can't charge across a wide open field to stab someone on the other side of the map) but short of indoor missions like the Black Lotus party I can't really make effective use of it. Are you waiting until you have strong protection like cyber armour, or are you using your rookies as expendable kamikazes? Maybe I just need to use more smoke grenades.
Use cover to hide your approach towards the enemy, never run in the open towards them, always approach from the back if possible.
Sometimes you are better off not using melee, always know when it's the time to fold and keep your melee operatives hidden until it's time to strike.

Offline justaround

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: April 21, 2019, 11:27:13 am »
Does anyone have any tips for effective use of melee tactics?

Ambushes. About the only time I found melee preferable to guns was when I had a squad positioned near the entrance to some small, enclosed space SWAT style and then rushed in. In almost every other case I can think of, guns are more effective, at least till you'll get some soldiers who are decked out in a proper armor, can run very far and stab/bash an enemy a couple of times with a decent weapon.

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: April 21, 2019, 01:01:50 pm »
Does anyone have any tips for effective use of melee tactics?
I use melee when I have an enemy unit in a position where CQC would trigger preventing my agents from firing their gun or when the enemy can reaction-fire one-shot kill my agent. Else the agent is firing the gun.
I just completed a campaign a few days ago:
Spoiler:
For what is worth, I found myself using the stun baton and the tritanium knife all the way but the end in Mars, at which point I only carried the knife as the backup melee weapon. It is 2x1 only, light, and uses little TUs per attack.
The QD slot is always with the knife, the electric club, or the flashlight, while the others with the vertical belt slots. The left shoulder is with a motion detector and a pre-primed smoke grenade. The horizontal belt with healing gel. The rest of the weapons changed over the campaign: Essentially, glocks as sidearms for most of the time, replaced by the smartpistol with alloy ammo when available. FN P-90 or CAWS as entry weapon, Arasaka 3000 for the fully trained soldiers. Support soldiers with the MG3 (I love the two bullet reaction fire). And everyone switched to Heavy Plasma once it is researched.
Are you waiting until you have strong protection like cyber armour, or are you using your rookies as expendable kamikazes? Maybe I just need to use more smoke grenades.
No, my agents are valuable, as I don't like negative scores if I can avoid it  :)
Spoiler:
This campaign (Ironman) I didn't use dogs (I researched motion detectors early on) or hybrids (too weak). I didn't use AI units until a laser (hover) tank became available, then two of these plus 8 soldiers on the SkyMarshall as the typical squad, sorted by strength. My soldiers outfits were like kevlar/armored/tritanium vests, and when available all switched to the synthsuit (from dead mutons). Then flying suit all the way to Cydonia (Avenger with fully trained soldiers with Psi-Strength > 80). The Toxisuit and the juggernaut suit for the Dimension-X and underwater missions, respectively. The leather coat and later the bulletproof coat for the occasional undercover mission. I didn't share my techs so no power armor. Also I didn't built the cyber armor or any other armor except as noted above.
As per tactics, if my enemy is human, I fight at night and I strategically throw flashlights and/or electro-flares to create a ring of light around the dark area where my agents are. And I use the cover of darkness to ambush the enemy. The agents pick these light generating items as they move. My favorite was when the car was only available, was to drop a flashlight on one side of the car and run to the other side, and kneel. The cars block the light pretty well, forming a pretty good ambush area for unsuspecting cult gangsters. If I cannot avoid a day time battle, I use plenty of smoke grenades when in the open.

If the enemy is alien (or monsters for that matter), the night vision is usually against my agents, thus I chose to fight during the day. Smoke grenades are good for when running across open fields. But once the tanks are available they are good at "tanking" fire (or drawing reaction fire) for essentially all guns but heavy plasma and such. These aliens were priority targets for my tritanium grenades. If I cannot avoid a night battle in this case I throw flashlights around to lit the area.

Offline DevFried

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: April 21, 2019, 04:53:21 pm »
Is it alright to use current piratez openxcomex launcher on xcom files? It has some additional features such as free storage display and splash screen on load.

----
Also holy crap just managed to repel my first bullfrogs early, on a private car no less since humvee was too slow to reach in time. I don't think I could've done that if I didn't have heavy machine gun and a lucky spawn in the corner while frogs had to come to me. So I sprayed them with hmg, while throwing tons of dynamite on them, then switched to a second hmg as well. Luckily my agents managed to tank through some spits and the only one frog that was close decided to charge in and missed. Nevertheless, it was still pretty intense, and unfortunately one civ got hit by one of my dynamites, but most of them survived since they were knocked out.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 06:49:38 pm by DevFried »

Offline NuclearStudent

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The X-Com Files - 0.9.8: X-Cool
« Reply #2453 on: April 22, 2019, 09:53:44 am »
Is it a bug that XCOM murdering a civilian only gives -2 points?

because, you know, perverse incentives...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2454 on: April 23, 2019, 10:26:15 pm »
Is it a bug that XCOM murdering a civilian only gives -2 points?

because, you know, perverse incentives...

Ummm... Which one? :)

Offline NuclearStudent

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: April 26, 2019, 09:16:37 pm »
Ummm... Which one? :)

Scratch that bug report.

I feel like I saw a -2 for civilians killed in an after-mission briefing. But when I tested a terror mission in battle mode, I properly got -50 for killing a civilian.

I'm doubting my own memory now.

Offline Ciruil

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: May 05, 2019, 06:07:01 am »
I researched "Using staff of heart grip" but my agents can't using it in battle (still they can using flame glove). Is this a bug or i missed something?

Also i got alien infiltration mission in USA on march 1999 (and all ships has got observators in crew). Thats grasy, did i was must rushed interceptors researching from beginning?). Failed shooting down any ships, destroyed appeared alien base but lost country. As i understanding is no way to return country, isn,t it? UFOpaedia says: "When a country is successfully infiltrated, an alien base will be instantly created in or near the country. Always search for the alien base after the second Battleship. And once you know that the base is there, you have several options available to you." What kind of several options, just destroying or robbing base and landed supply ships?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 06:21:11 am by Ciruil »

Offline Lohland

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: May 05, 2019, 07:51:14 am »
Also i got alien infiltration mission in USA on march 1999 (and all ships has got observators in crew). Thats grasy, did i was must rushed interceptors researching from beginning?). Failed shooting down any ships, destroyed appeared alien base but lost country. As i understanding is no way to return country, isn,t it? UFOpaedia says: "When a country is successfully infiltrated, an alien base will be instantly created in or near the country. Always search for the alien base after the second Battleship. And once you know that the base is there, you have several options available to you." What kind of several options, just destroying or robbing base and landed supply ships?

As far as I know, no. The only way I know is to knock down the UFO before completing the mission. Well, or before the end of the month to fix the save.

Offline Ciruil

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: May 05, 2019, 08:02:17 am »
Well, or before the end of the month to fix the save.
What exactly i must fix in save?

Offline Lohland

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: May 05, 2019, 08:21:13 am »
What exactly i must fix in save?

In the save find your country. There will be a list of deductions for the month. In the captured country, the line “pact ...” is added. Here it must be removed.

P.S. In a country that has already left the council, this did not work. You need to delete the line before the final message at the end of the month. More precisely, the country has ceased to be listed captured, but did not give more money
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 08:26:33 am by Lohland »