aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New  (Read 2176008 times)

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New
« Reply #6105 on: June 27, 2024, 07:20:54 am »
Played 3.4 snap as SH/IM, now in Jan 1998. A few notes, especially on RNG balancing:

- Major Zombie Infestation is the only way to obtain a Zombie Infector and progress along that path (and also get TNI). The chances of getting it are however rather low. 2*10 % chance starting month 6. So far I have only had it once, and killed the infectors by accident. Maybe increase the chances a bit? At least one of the mission scripts could be higher and maybe have an additional researchTrigger STR_ZOMBIE_INFECTOR: false.

- I researched all cult networks in June 1997 (I often delaying researching them, and do all of them at the same time so that I will get at the same time promo II and explosives license; that way outposts can be dealt with more reliably). Otherwise I got relatively balanced set of outposts, but a Black lotus outpost spawned in July (where I accidentally killed the witch) and the next one in November, so I had to wait until Nov 1997 to get the Osprey. The chance of getting a hideout is 8*6 %. Maybe some of these should have a higher chance, but with researchTrigger: STR_(CULT)_OPERATIONS (or the respective liutenant) set to false. This would ensure a higher chance to get an outpost until you have managed to capture and research the relevant cult liutenant, while still keepign them spawning as currently even after researching it.

- I have made similar observations wrt. Cult Forward Bases before (sometimes you might get delayed with a cult for 6-12+ months), but this has so far not been a problem. An interesting thing was that Dec 1997 spawned two BL forward bases and also the shrine, so I obtained two BL avatars and get BL HQ in Jan 1998.

- When milking out the dossiers (I always have all the basic ~40 dossiers and then some more researched by the end of 1997), I got Natasha Morozova and her hideout mission very early, in Oct 1997. The same thing could occur with Lo Wo (I was lucky and have avoided that dossier so far). So, no Osprey yet. Luckily I had a good spawn and managed it with a helicopter. But you can get these one-time missions early, when you will have difficulties dealing with them if you get unlucky RNG. I'd suggest adding a ResearchTrigger to these, for example STR_(CULT)_OPERATIONS set to true, which would at least cut off the very early spawns. You could get into similar problems with certain other onetime missions, but they can usually be prevented. For example, you could get David Vincent's dossier early, but you can choose when you want to do that mission by not researching MIB agent until you are ready to deal with it (I usually start MIB research after Promo III in early 1998, often from a MIB pilot/executor/enforcer captured from the environment mission). Likewise, you could get Gertrud Ellison mission early (even before you have Alien Containment..), but this requires really bad luck.

Other notes wrt. 3.4 snap:
- no significant changes so far, but looking at the changelogs, I'm most curious about the changes to MIB retaliation missions, adding a stealth bomber retaliation in addition to dropship and their "final" retaliation missions. This has made me slightly more hesitant to research the MIB tree before I have something to shoot them down (i.e. Kitsune) - I don't want a stealth bomber retatiation succeeding against one of my bases at least before I'm ready to deal with them (= weapons that go through heavy MIB armors).
- SS forgot to disable "testMission" generation (which has so far fired every month) leading to increased Crop Circle zombie missions.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 07:42:12 am by psavola »

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #6106 on: June 28, 2024, 02:50:45 am »
ran into an obscurity today on an Alien Terror attack mission. A dog was zombified.
At first I figured it was a new enemy but then I realized, the dog was bit by a chrysalis.
Came to this conclusion when I tried to stun it so I could take it back for research but it died,didn't show up in stats.

But have to admit, it has a minor potential for a plot. Dog zombies. It was all grey with like red eyes I believe.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6107 on: June 28, 2024, 04:35:52 pm »
Major Zombie Infestation is the only way to obtain a Zombie Infector (...). Maybe increase the chances a bit?

Nah, in my experience it's high enough. Of coruse bad luck can always happen, but it's not like this is required to finish the game.

The chance of getting a hideout is 8*6 %. Maybe some of these should have a higher chance, but with researchTrigger: STR_(CULT)_OPERATIONS (or the respective liutenant) set to false. This would ensure a higher chance to get an outpost until you have managed to capture and research the relevant cult liutenant, while still keepign them spawning as currently even after researching it.

It's never easy to decide on such things, so I definitely won't say that I outright disagree, but I'd rather not do that much handholding. If you're screwed with one cult, it's not the end of the world; the Osprey is too good anyway. Same with the Cult Forward Bases.

- When milking out the dossiers (I always have all the basic ~40 dossiers and then some more researched by the end of 1997), I got Natasha Morozova and her hideout mission very early, in Oct 1997. The same thing could occur with Lo Wo (I was lucky and have avoided that dossier so far). So, no Osprey yet. Luckily I had a good spawn and managed it with a helicopter.

By your own example, it can be done. Sure, it will be much harder when done early, but I know some players who would get angry if I removed the option to do it.

Other notes wrt. 3.4 snap:
- no significant changes so far, but looking at the changelogs, I'm most curious about the changes to MIB retaliation missions, adding a stealth bomber retaliation in addition to dropship and their "final" retaliation missions. This has made me slightly more hesitant to research the MIB tree before I have something to shoot them down (i.e. Kitsune) - I don't want a stealth bomber retatiation succeeding against one of my bases at least before I'm ready to deal with them (= weapons that go through heavy MIB armors).

All these changes are irrelevant of your progress and only depend on the time passed.

In fact, things have become easier now, since the new retaliation variants are smaller than the old one (which now serves as the most advanced version).

- SS forgot to disable "testMission" generation (which has so far fired every month) leading to increased Crop Circle zombie missions.

Yeah, thanks, I fixed it already :)

ran into an obscurity today on an Alien Terror attack mission. A dog was zombified.
At first I figured it was a new enemy but then I realized, the dog was bit by a chrysalis.
Came to this conclusion when I tried to stun it so I could take it back for research but it died,didn't show up in stats.

But have to admit, it has a minor potential for a plot. Dog zombies. It was all grey with like red eyes I believe.

Congrats on finding this. Yep, dog zombies are a thing. Not much to do with it, though - I could add a mission with zombie dogs if it made some sense, but that's it.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6108 on: June 28, 2024, 04:55:43 pm »
...I could add a mission with zombie dogs...
101 Chrysalid Puppies when? :D

Offline Irismono

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6109 on: June 28, 2024, 05:02:31 pm »
I think Zombie dogs would make a great addition to something like the vampire castle. Zombie leaders get zombie pets!

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6110 on: June 28, 2024, 11:11:03 pm »
I think Zombie dogs would make a great addition to something like the vampire castle. Zombie leaders get zombie pets!

That's a great idea.

Maybe a few different kinds of dogs as well, similar to the zombies which would in effect, make them harder to kill.
Dogs in this game drop fairly easy, a challenging mutt, similar to the gilldog might be a good addition.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6111 on: June 29, 2024, 09:04:26 am »
Speaking of which, the XCF undead (zombies, ghouls, vampires, etc.) take 100 % damage from CHOKE. Very typical undead canon in fantasy is that the undead do not need air and so do not breathe. If this applies to XCF as well, they should be immune to CHOKE.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: June 29, 2024, 01:24:20 pm »
The problem with zombie dogs is that they can only be spawned by Chryssalids. I think them "naturally occurring" should not be contrary to the lore, but I'd have to think about it, and certainly make some additions (like the research).

Speaking of which, the XCF undead (zombies, ghouls, vampires, etc.) take 100 % damage from CHOKE. Very typical undead canon in fantasy is that the undead do not need air and so do not breathe. If this applies to XCF as well, they should be immune to CHOKE.

I wouldn't say immune, but they enjoy a lot of resistance to choking thanks to the alternative energy source that is bioplasma. (You know, they're not actually undead.) Still, I think it's included in their abnormally high Health.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: June 29, 2024, 01:30:06 pm »
Something else which I noticed today, Zombie catacombs mission.. There is a random pickaxe laying on the floor about 20 tiles from the drop off.
This is a great little surprise as sometimes it is much needed when there is one hiding inside the walls.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: June 29, 2024, 01:38:43 pm »
Something else which I noticed today, Zombie catacombs mission.. There is a random pickaxe laying on the floor about 20 tiles from the drop off.
This is a great little surprise as sometimes it is much needed when there is one hiding inside the walls.

Sometimes I am a generous modder. 8)