aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New  (Read 2007723 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: The X-Com Files - 2.4: Flesh and Circuitry
« Reply #4485 on: April 14, 2022, 10:00:12 am »
That's what I was talking about.

Aaaah, I get it now. OK, it's a legitimate complaint; I'll try to fix it.
[EDIT: fixed]

Can you tell me how to add a backpack to a particular armor?

You need to find the armour and then remove this:

Code: [Select]
    builtInWeapons:
      - INV_NULL_3X3_BACK_PACK

when will you use that my idea on name, title the release, as i mentioned you recently, ?   ~~ ( There Are Things, Horacio,)  Between Earth and Heavens..

If it fits the release, why not? :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 10:15:19 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline zhorov

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: April 14, 2022, 12:29:31 pm »
Aaaah, I get it now. OK, it's a legitimate complaint; I'll try to fix it.
[EDIT: fixed]

You need to find the armour and then remove this:

Code: [Select]
    builtInWeapons:
      - INV_NULL_3X3_BACK_PACK

If it fits the release, why not? :)
Hello, do you know how to change the number of aliens/cultists? The greater the difficulty, the more units the enemy has, on the last difficulty they are just hordes, which I find not interesting, because you just get mentally tired of so many. Don't know how to fix it? What needs to be edited? They wrote to me: "Keep in mind that the mod is not balanced for higher difficulties.
Look up the Ruleset Reference, there are numerous settings with pertain to difficulty. As for enemy numbers you might want to have a look at the "deployment data" section."  But I don't understand what to do.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: April 14, 2022, 12:52:56 pm »
Hello, do you know how to change the number of aliens/cultists? The greater the difficulty, the more units the enemy has, on the last difficulty they are just hordes, which I find not interesting, because you just get mentally tired of so many. Don't know how to fix it? What needs to be edited? They wrote to me: "Keep in mind that the mod is not balanced for higher difficulties.
Look up the Ruleset Reference, there are numerous settings with pertain to difficulty. As for enemy numbers you might want to have a look at the "deployment data" section."  But I don't understand what to do.

Question would be why you're playing on higher difficulties to begin with if you're clearly having trouble. As I've pointed out before your best bet is to check out the ruleset reference, especially the deployment data section. The settings are documented.

Offline zhorov

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: April 14, 2022, 05:34:41 pm »
Question would be why you're playing on higher difficulties to begin with if you're clearly having trouble. As I've pointed out before your best bet is to check out the ruleset reference, especially the deployment data section. The settings are documented.
I want more complexity, but not in quantity, but in the quality of the aliens. What would they shoot more accurately and etc. I didn't understand anything about the rules. Can you explain to me stupid what needs to be edited and in which file?

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: April 14, 2022, 06:26:22 pm »
I want more complexity, but not in quantity, but in the quality of the aliens. What would they shoot more accurately and etc. I didn't understand anything about the rules. Can you explain to me stupid what needs to be edited and in which file?

No.

As I said, check the ruleset reference - the documentation is adequate enough. There are about ~450 deployments (+ multiple alien ranks per spawn) you'd have to modify, and I have no idea which ones you're actually having issues with. The ruleset files are located in the "Ruleset" folder of the mod and are named accordingly.

If you're having trouble, play on a lower difficulty. You might also want to check how difficulty scaling applies to alien stats.

If all you want are "more difficult enemies" you might want to modify the AI units instead.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 06:31:58 pm by krautbernd »

Offline zhorov

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: April 14, 2022, 07:11:03 pm »
No.

As I said, check the ruleset reference - the documentation is adequate enough. There are about ~450 deployments (+ multiple alien ranks per spawn) you'd have to modify, and I have no idea which ones you're actually having issues with. The ruleset files are located in the "Ruleset" folder of the mod and are named accordingly.

If you're having trouble, play on a lower difficulty. You might also want to check how difficulty scaling applies to alien stats.

If all you want are "more difficult enemies" you might want to modify the AI units instead.
I would still like to reduce the number of aliens. I don't really understand how it all works, I need examples. To understand the editing of what affects precisely the high complexity. I'm afraid to ruin everything. Can you please write an example, the difficulty is impossible, the mission is to storm the alien base, it says 50 such aliens, change it to 40. Or something like that? I really would be very grateful.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: April 14, 2022, 08:00:08 pm »
I would still like to reduce the number of aliens. I don't really understand how it all works, I need examples. To understand the editing of what affects precisely the high complexity. I'm afraid to ruin everything. Can you please write an example, the difficulty is impossible, the mission is to storm the alien base, it says 50 such aliens, change it to 40. Or something like that? I really would be very grateful.

I don't know what mission "storm the alien base" is, nor do I know which aliens you are talking about or what "impossible difficulty" is - do you mean superhuman?

As I said, check the documentation for alien deployments and check the existing ruleset files - these are literally your examples. The ruleset section I linked you to explicitly lists entries for Minimum quantity of aliens to spawn on beginner/experienced, Minimum quantity of aliens to spawn on superhuman and Delta in Quantity, i.e. random number of aliens to spawn on top of the minimum. You will find these in the AlienDeployments ruleset in the mod folder. You will probably want to modify these for all ranks of aliens spawned for that particular deployment.

Find the deplyoment you need to change and modify the entries for the number of aliens to spawn for each rank accordingly.

Again, if the game is too difficult for you simply play on a lower difficulty level. There is no simple and easy way to reduce the alien numbers without you understanding the ruleset definitions, not withstanding having to manually change hundreds of deplyoments.

EDIT:
Keep in mind that this will not change alien numbers in ongoing battlescape missions.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 08:35:03 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: April 14, 2022, 08:27:44 pm »
I'd like to say something constructive, but honestly I don't have anything to add after Krautbernd.

If there's a need, we can have a separate thread for this.

Offline zhorov

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: April 14, 2022, 09:13:43 pm »
I don't know what mission "storm the alien base" is, nor do I know which aliens you are talking about or what "impossible difficulty" is - do you mean superhuman?

As I said, check the documentation for alien deployments and check the existing ruleset files - these are literally your examples. The ruleset section I linked you to explicitly lists entries for Minimum quantity of aliens to spawn on beginner/experienced, Minimum quantity of aliens to spawn on superhuman and Delta in Quantity, i.e. random number of aliens to spawn on top of the minimum. You will find these in the AlienDeployments ruleset in the mod folder. You will probably want to modify these for all ranks of aliens spawned for that particular deployment.

Find the deplyoment you need to change and modify the entries for the number of aliens to spawn for each rank accordingly.

Again, if the game is too difficult for you simply play on a lower difficulty level. There is no simple and easy way to reduce the alien numbers without you understanding the ruleset definitions, not withstanding having to manually change hundreds of deplyoments.

EDIT:
Keep in mind that this will not change alien numbers in ongoing battlescape missions.
Thanks, you've been very helpful.

Offline Rangerh

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: April 15, 2022, 08:14:09 pm »
I ran into a problem, but it's probably because i'm new to X-Com Files so i may not know this mod specific mechanics regarding the scoring.

So i started playing on the lowest difficulty with latest version of both the mod and OXCE, and got several missions in January 97, several "apprehension" and a few of "life form".
Here are the result from the agent that got into all of them :

In one of the apprehension mission, i lost his partner (but still managed to knock out the suspect with the agent).
The "life form" mission that ended in "defeat" was one filled with too many spikeboars, basically a "thanks but no thanks" mission and the agents retreated as fast as they could.

I missed an "apprehension" mission as several had spawned at once, so by the time my slow car have dealt with some of them, that mission disappeared.

Anyways, so far i was expecting a rather good score for this month, but :

So why did that happen ?
In other mods i would suspect there's an alien base already established , but as it's the first month of the game and i am on the lowest difficulty  i doubt it's that ?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 08:15:53 pm by Rangerh »

Offline the nomad

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: April 15, 2022, 08:23:13 pm »
From what I understand, the monthly rating is basically the combination of positive and negative points in a month.

If you missed some missions that is already like -150 points each. And the missions you have completed give you little points by that time. Check at the debrief for score.

Also you may have had negative random events.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 08:24:48 pm by the nomad »

Offline Rangerh

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: April 15, 2022, 08:34:46 pm »
Ah yes ! that's the negative events , thanks i completely forgot about them.
I got several of those, though i had hoped the mission successes would have counterbalanced their nasty impact, it looks that was not the case.

-150 points for missing a mission sounds very harsh considering how it's impossible to get to them all in time with that early game slow car .

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: April 15, 2022, 09:03:39 pm »
Well, the point is that you survived and can continue the campaign. No worries, sometimes I'm in the negative as well at this stage :)

There are some tricks to alleviate the damage, though. the most basic one: even before building a second base you can send a car to the other side of the globe and just leave it there - stationary cars don't lose fuel. This gives you a way to react quickly to distant calls. Naturally, you still need multiple hangars.

Offline Rangerh

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: April 15, 2022, 09:30:12 pm »
The 2nd car is a great idea to avoid missing on some missions when they're far from each other.
Thanks for this one, will be helpfull until i can get some better transport.

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: April 16, 2022, 12:05:39 pm »
Can the penalty for cult aprehension be toned down considerably ? In the early game, missions that spawn alot, have no meaningful reward beyond your first for each cult to unlock the cult and requires some time before you can make this mission type go away (given things like logistics and better weapons will take priority in research).

Like it is -200 point penalty a pop so early for a mission that spawns so often is quite excessive.
Like it wouldnt be such a big deal if the reward for this mission actually would be bigger than what... 60 ? 40 ? Meaning one missed apprehencion is like 4-6 successful apprehensions (casualty less) which is really harsh.
The only early game mission that has point reward larger than this is the mass creature hunt where you face like +20 creatures, then yep, that goes above that, but you wont get many of these per month and not all of them goes perfect, without troops dead.

I opened my geoscape safe to look how many missions have spawned in 2 months this campaign runs

STR_CIVILIAN_CAR: 3
  STR_CROP_CIRCLES: 4
  STR_CULT_APPREHENSION: 15
  STR_DEAD_CATTLE: 2
  STR_MONSTER_HUNT: 10
  STR_SOLDIER: 13
  STR_UFO: 2
  STR_UFO_UNIQUE: 3
  STR_VAN: 3

Only 15 apprehensions in 2 months