aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1950826 times)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 1.4: Signs of Apocalypse
« Reply #3615 on: May 29, 2020, 05:18:46 pm »
Just to chime in on this, please don't add straight-out over-the-head character references to other games and/or pop-culture. I'd hate to see Lo Wang in this. Or Duke Nukem for that matter.

xcomfan

« Reply #3616 on: May 29, 2020, 06:54:08 pm »
Ok i got it ::)

Offline Thermite

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: May 29, 2020, 07:55:43 pm »
It leads to secret stuff!

That have yet to be implemented...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3618 on: May 30, 2020, 09:06:01 pm »
Hey, some subtle old game references can be fun and I am pretty sure we have such already in the dossiers.

Of course! :)

Anyway, I had some folks I recommended mod to ask me about things since they had issues with installation and the video linked is quite long, a bit outdated and doesn't explain certain basic issues they had, so I've made slightly more idiocy-proof version I offer for inclusion in the readme:

Code: [Select]
HOW DO I INSTALL THIS MOD?
- Get and unpack the latest OpenXCom Extended. You can download it from here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5258.0.html
- From the original, latest/patched version of the "UFO - Enemy Unknown"/"X-COM: UFO Defense" game copy relevant data listed in the readme file in the UFO folder of installed OpenXCom Extended.
- Unpack the mod archive into "[main OpenXCom folder]\user\mods" - you may need to create those folders first if you start fresh.
- Run the game and enable the mod from the dropdown bar in the mod selection menu.

Excellent, thanks! Added.

That have yet to be implemented...

No...

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: May 31, 2020, 10:07:20 pm »
Solarius, what was the reason for changing the Red Dawn HQ map? Not that I'm complaining, but it's extremely easy to cheez the assault now. You might want to redesign the entrance/exit a bit - right now it's a death trap for the enemy. Just station two soldiers atop/to the side and watch the bodies pile up. It's kind of entertaining tbh.

*Step* *Pop* *Pop* *Scream*
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 10:12:14 pm by krautbernd »

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
  • Just another player/modder combo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: June 01, 2020, 01:12:23 am »
Solarius, what was the reason for changing the Red Dawn HQ map? Not that I'm complaining, but it's extremely easy to cheez the assault now. You might want to redesign the entrance/exit a bit - right now it's a death trap for the enemy. Just station two soldiers atop/to the side and watch the bodies pile up. It's kind of entertaining tbh.

This map change happened a long long while ago. The latest change was to add the cars.

Offline Bonakva

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: June 01, 2020, 06:20:26 am »
Maybe you should convert Turbolaser Carbine to SMG?
To make a choice between a rifle and smg. In truth, the Turbolaser Carbine picture directly screams that it is a light weapon.

Offline Doc

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: June 01, 2020, 06:34:46 am »

It's true that you really have no incentive to wade in and forgo camping the bunker entrance. However if you do opt to storm the base you are treated to one exciting corridor shoot out and a fitting send off to what I consider the toughest cult faction.

I haven't tried the new version with armored cars yet. I wonder if this buys time for more mooks to wander up to the surface? I expect it still plays out rather the same though. I wonder if some kind of time limited objective might work here that puts the player on the offensive?

Edit: Additionally I have a small suggestion. Could we get Cult Arms Dealers moved up earlier in the tech tree? Possibly to having all networks researched instead of operations? As it stands by the time you get it most of those weapons are quite irrelevant. The better ones can still be locked behind promotion tiers or later cult stages, but I don't see the harm in having access to an AK-47 or M-16 a bit earlier if one is so inclined.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 09:41:02 am by Doc »

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: June 01, 2020, 11:23:05 pm »
Red Dawn is supposed to originate from Russia / defunct soviet bloc states, especially the military, right? I heard that a lot of nukes - including those small suitcase-sized ones got "lost" during the dissolution of the soviet union. Maybe Red Dawn has one or two of those on site and a contigency plan in case the base ever got raided? Striclty speaking you only have to recover one memory card...

Offline Golli844

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: June 02, 2020, 10:10:16 am »
Is there anyway i can force spawn the "Ninja scroll" as it never came up in the game.    I'm pretty far in to the game (advanced lab and plasma weapons unlocked but never seen the ninja scroll)
i captured the dude Lo Wo ages ago and have his scroll of secrets but the ninja scroll is missing so the research path is blocked!

so anyway is there a way to spawn that item in the console for example?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 10:42:32 am by Golli844 »

xcomfan

« Reply #3625 on: June 02, 2020, 11:20:11 am »

Edit: Additionally I have a small suggestion. Could we get Cult Arms Dealers moved up earlier in the tech tree? Possibly to having all networks researched instead of operations? As it stands by the time you get it most of those weapons are quite irrelevant. The better ones can still be locked behind promotion tiers or later cult stages, but I don't see the harm in having access to an AK-47 or M-16 a bit earlier if one is so inclined.

I agree, might make the startin of a campaign a bit less frustrating

Red Dawn is supposed to originate from Russia / defunct soviet bloc states, especially the military, right? I heard that a lot of nukes - including those small suitcase-sized ones got "lost" during the dissolution of the soviet union. Maybe Red Dawn has one or two of those on site and a contigency plan in case the base ever got raided? Striclty speaking you only have to recover one memory card...

May be an idea for a new kind of mission?

Edit: how about a mission named "hangar 18" set in an atea 51 kinda?

« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 11:40:19 am by xcomfan »

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: June 02, 2020, 12:22:06 pm »
I'd support this, since at the point I'm usually getting access to those weapons there indeed irrelevant. Then again my progression might just be extremely messed up.

May be an idea for a new kind of mission?
More as an incentive to actually enter the Red Dawn HQ and retrieve the memory card.

Edit: how about a mission named "hangar 18" set in an atea 51 kinda?
Don't we already have an Area 51 (defense) mission though? Or was that in another mod?

xcomfan

« Reply #3627 on: June 02, 2020, 03:14:39 pm »
Don't we already have an Area 51 (defense) mission though? Or was that in another mod?

Don't know  since ive not explored in detail the mod. Don't wanna be fussy but may be added an MP5K, a conceleable version of the MP5? Just saying  :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3628 on: June 02, 2020, 05:08:15 pm »

That's possible. I'll add this idea to my loose notes, thanks.

Is there anyway i can force spawn the "Ninja scroll" as it never came up in the game.    I'm pretty far in to the game (advanced lab and plasma weapons unlocked but never seen the ninja scroll)
i captured the dude Lo Wo ages ago and have his scroll of secrets but the ninja scroll is missing so the research path is blocked!

so anyway is there a way to spawn that item in the console for example?

This item can be found in two places:

Spoiler:
1. In Black Lotus HQ.
2. Carried by Assassins in the bank robber mission.

The first place is guaranteed, so you shouldn't miss them, unless you turn the whole place into a charred wasteland. So there should be no reason to force this item to spawn. If you still miss it somehow, I can show you how to fix it.

I'd support this, since at the point I'm usually getting access to those weapons there indeed irrelevant. Then again my progression might just be extremely messed up.

Yeah, it's hard to gauge for anyone. I could make these weapons available earlier, but I'm worried it would make earlier designs (standard pistols, MP-5s, the Mosin etc.) even less useful.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: June 02, 2020, 05:38:55 pm »
Yeah, it's hard to gauge for anyone. I could make these weapons available earlier, but I'm worried it would make earlier designs (standard pistols, MP-5s, the Mosin etc.) even less useful.
Maybe tie them to the interrogation of higher ranking cult members? As in "Cult member [X] offered to get us into contact with dealer [Y] in exchange for [...]". That way players could get access to higher tier weapons for cult bases but would still have to rely on earlier weapons for hideouts&outposts. How/when do you get access to black ops stuff again?