aliens

Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE+ discussion thread  (Read 720051 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [OXCE+] Meridian's resources and mods for (not only) X-PirateZ
« Reply #1080 on: January 08, 2017, 06:49:02 pm »
I found a small bug concerning training. If I transport a craft to another base with people on board, and these people are training in a gym/dojo, they are still in training even if the new base has not enough training slots. (It shows negative amount of free training positions.)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: January 18, 2017, 11:02:54 pm »
New version is up.

2017-01-17
 - Fix for craft shield rendering
 - Alien Inventory improvements (more space for 2x2 units, no slot labels, civilian types)
 - Hide alien tech level in New Battle GUI if not needed
 - Fix murderer confusion (various bugs in diaries, commendations, morale recovery, etc.)
 - Fix for reservedSpace (mod size metadata): https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2915.msg77485.html#msg77485

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8itkFQbhj-Yc2JZQWlETnEtRlE

Offline Moon_Dew

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: January 19, 2017, 05:35:05 pm »
How do I install this?

Offline Breki

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: January 19, 2017, 11:28:46 pm »
How do I install this?

Download from this link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8itkFQbhj-Yc2JZQWlETnEtRlE

Replace the .exe from the downloaded file with the one in your OpenXcom folder. But take note that it won't work with current version of Piratez. You will have to wait for version 0.99F for that.

Vollah :)

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: January 21, 2017, 11:34:28 am »
I mostly worked on tiles for the last year (maybe more) so I'm completely out of the loop / I forgot everything. I'd need some basic info:

To install I need to unzip the OXCE+ exe inside a OXC-Extended installation and launch the game using it? Or a OXC-vanilla installation?
Is there a ruleset reference for this? Is it the one inside the OXC-Extended readme? I don't want to bother you coders for every little thing. (I guess I should study what X-Piratez is doing in its ruleset).
Finally, could someone point me to the basic things I need to look for to port a mod from OXC vanilla? I remember there was something about weapon reload cost, that it accounted for the cost of bringing the item to the hand slot?
Thanks.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: January 21, 2017, 12:01:09 pm »
Both OXCE and OXCE+ can be installed just by replacing EXE of the compatible vanilla nightly installation.
At the moment, the officially-compatible nightly is from 2016-11-09... but since there is very little going on in vanilla, you'll be fine also with latest nightly.
There will be some missing strings, which you can download here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5130.0.html

Note: in a few months, I'll move away from prototyping phase and will distribute OXCE+ with everything needed (same as nightly package), including extra strings.

There is a ruleset reference for OXCE, in the Extended-readme file.
For OXCE+ there is no single reference (yet)... I promise to write one, when I move away from prototyping phase.
However, all ruleset examples CAN be found on this forum.
I would start with the changelog, which is in the first 2 posts on my thread: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4187.0.html
It contains links to posts with examples, screenshots and much more.
Piratez and XCom-Files combined are using basically all features there are... I made new ruleset only when modders actually asked for it... so those are a good study material too.

OXCE/OXCE+ are fully compatible with vanilla ruleset, so your mod will work without problems on both OXCE and OXCE+ without any changes.
But, there are a few changes that are not exactly vanilla, however there are very few of them (less than 10)... like the reload cost you mentioned. One more I can think of is experience training... you don't get experience by just throwing flares for example, to gain experience, you must hit an enemy. All of these changes are however hardly noticeable by the players.

There is just one change, which is not compatible with vanilla and very noticeable by the players... the new OXCE lighting engine (light doesn't go through walls).
This will be fixed in the next OXCE release (3.6, coming very soon)... or at least Yankes promised it.
If not, I will fix it myself.

Finally, it may look like a lot... but it's really easy... and myself, Dioxine, Solarius, Yankes, Ohartenstein, etc. will gladly help you with the first steps.
Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 12:03:39 pm by Meridian »

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: January 21, 2017, 12:38:49 pm »
Thanks for the explanation.

You say only the exe is needed, but OXCE has a "OpenXcomEx35Data.zip" file to download too, full of ruleset files: what are those for? I would think they contain the missing strings you provide here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5130.0.html ; but all the ruleset files are provided, which makes me thinks there're more changes-additions than just some strings.
In shorts: do I need to use them too in my OXCE+ installation? Or are they 1:1 to vanilla's (plus missing strings) and provided to just make the OXCE package standalone?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: January 21, 2017, 12:45:55 pm »
If you mean the "Data35.zip" from first post in the OXCE thread: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2915.0.html

... that is just a copy/backup of the vanilla data files from the 2016-11-09 nightly.
No additional ruleset, strings or anything, pure copy.

The reason why it exists is because older nightlies get deleted from the download section on openxcom.org.
So if you can't find the officially-compatible nightly anymore, you can use this instead.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: January 22, 2017, 12:39:57 am »
Can you use melee weapon (melee attack) to attack the environment (tiles)? I'm not finding anything in the changelog but I sort of remember reading something like that once.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: January 22, 2017, 12:48:12 am »
Can you use melee weapon (melee attack) to attack the environment (tiles)? I'm not finding anything in the changelog but I sort of remember reading something like that once.

Not yet, I failed on my first attempt to implement it, but I have it on todo list and will try again.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: January 23, 2017, 05:46:14 pm »
Congratulations on your subforum :)

May I suggest that you make a sticky thread explaining what is OXCE+ and how it is different from vanilla nightlies?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: January 23, 2017, 06:16:41 pm »
Congratulations on your subforum :)

Thank you :)

May I suggest that you make a sticky thread explaining what is OXCE+ and how it is different from vanilla nightlies?

I plan the following sticky posts:

0 old thread
1 what is oxce+ (and how it fits into this world)
2 latest download & installation guide (+ translations mod)
3 compilation guides on linux & windows
4 list of mods and TCs running on oxce+ with links
5 full (chronological) changelog
6 bug reports
7 feedback, suggestions, live discussion (on discord)
8 table of contents for Documentation

And then one (non-sticky) post for each new feature (currently about 120 OXCE+ features... not including OXCE, but I'll try to merge some together, cos it's a lot). The documentation posts would have approx. the following structure:

0. Link back to index/TOC
1. Name
2. Description
3. Status (prototype, finished, to-be-removed, etc.)
4. Type (ruleset, bugfix, GUI, QoL, etc.)
5. Vanilla compatibility
6. Sample screenshots
7. Sample ruleset
8. Example of usage in real mod
9. TODOs and future plans
10. Credits (and link to original discussion thread if available)

If it's gonna turn out useful, I may document OXCE features too... but it's too early to say.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 06:21:45 pm by Meridian »

Offline Thirsk

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: January 25, 2017, 04:05:10 am »
Hey Meridian, any chance you can implement as an option perhaps, visible blast radius (featured in a now outdated OXCHA https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4533.0.html) in the next version? The blast radius is very useful since so many weapons give varying radius of explosions which can be rather unforgiving when an alien survives!

EDIT: another link https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,1532.0.html regarding suggestions to the blast radius
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 04:07:24 am by Thirsk »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: January 25, 2017, 11:12:32 am »
Hi,
no, I am not planning to add this feature to OXCE+.
M.

Offline Thirsk

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: January 25, 2017, 11:31:21 am »
Hi,
no, I am not planning to add this feature to OXCE+.
M.

Oh I see. Do you think Yankes might be interested in adding it?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk