Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE+ discussion thread  (Read 720657 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Meridian's resources and mods for X-PirateZ
« Reply #555 on: May 12, 2016, 03:17:34 pm »
New request: surrendering enemies.
What does it mean? That enemies may surrender, automatically ending the battle (same as if they were stunned).
Why? Because chasing last unarmed civilians around the map is not both unethical and embarrassing (and a loss of time).
Is it tricky to implement (design-wise)? Yes, but I would like to propose a method to fit it into the game.

So here it goes:
New flag for units: canSurrender. (If not present, this rule doesn't apply at all.) Meant for human enemies mostly.
How does it work? If all enemy units left on the battlefield are panicked, and all of them have this flag, the battle automatically ends - you just sweep them off the floor.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #556 on: May 12, 2016, 03:46:23 pm »
So here it goes:
New flag for units: canSurrender. (If not present, this rule doesn't apply at all.) Meant for human enemies mostly.
How does it work? If all enemy units left on the battlefield are panicked, and all of them have this flag, the battle automatically ends - you just sweep them off the floor.

Maybe even simpler: if all remaining enemy units have that flag, and are all below a global Morale threshold (settable, default = 50) at the end of their turn, they all surrender and mission ends with them being your captives.

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #557 on: May 12, 2016, 06:25:18 pm »
Using morale could make sense, but yes a surrendering mechanic for the last few guys could be so helpful.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 12, 2016, 06:44:52 pm »
Can we get this cherry picked?

It would be glorious to see some mutant brutes punching out spartans :D And if we get Xtendo's advanced civilian behavior, the gals could actually lead the mutant uprising against the purebloods!

X-Piratez - Mutant Revolutionz  8)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 13, 2016, 12:26:35 pm »
Watching your playthrough on YT it occurred to me that some people might gain from having the heading in the Shipping-XY window represented as an arrow in addition to the "North-West" or whatever it is. It might take a little thought so the old look would be preserved. Maybe in the upper right corner of the window?

Possible, but I don't see a point in having the same information twice.

Is it possible to make mouse scroll responsible for switching through equipment pages (before a mission) ? :)

Yes it is possible, I won't do it though.

What was the key that you used to empty your craft from all the equipment ?

Press "X".

Maybe even simpler: if all remaining enemy units have that flag, and are all below a global Morale threshold (settable, default = 50) at the end of their turn, they all surrender and mission ends with them being your captives.

Seems like a lot of work (for a modder) for no real benefit.
I'll put it on the list, should be easy to implement... but hard to test.

Using morale could make sense, but yes a surrendering mechanic for the last few guys could be so helpful.

I find the last 1-2 enemies the most dangerous part of the mission (as they can see me), and they are usually responsible for my losses. And even if they are maybe panicked for one round, they will gain morale in the next round, pick up a weapon and kill me... if it gets implemented, it will definitely be an option and I will turn it off in my games.

Can we get this cherry picked?

Can we get what cherry-picked?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #560 on: May 13, 2016, 01:02:34 pm »

The benefit is enormous. The vanilla behaviour is fine for aliens - they are allowed to behave inhumanly, because they're aliens. The same routines applied to human enemies are inadequate and a bit ridiculous to watch.

I think it's very easy, just give them a huge morale loss penalty (armors section) :)

I find the last 1-2 enemies the most dangerous part of the mission (as they can see me), and they are usually responsible for my losses. And even if they are maybe panicked for one round, they will gain morale in the next round, pick up a weapon and kill me... if it gets implemented, it will definitely be an option and I will turn it off in my games.

And that is why I said "panicking only" - I didn't want to change too much. But we can discuss that.

Can we get what cherry-picked?

I believe Artanor was referring to civilian AI and biultInWeaponSets.

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #561 on: May 13, 2016, 01:47:57 pm »

Yes, and I rarely have this issue myself because I spread out gals and sweep maps carefully.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 13, 2016, 03:04:41 pm »
Yes, and I rarely have this issue myself because I spread out gals and sweep maps carefully.

I (try to) do that too... and I don't have a problem with last guys outside of the UFO usually.
I have problems only if the last guys are inside the UFO.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 13, 2016, 05:10:17 pm »
Yes, I was talking about Warboy's "civilians can use weapons" new feature.

Also, the morale thing looks fine. If you have one random academy researcher or trader GO hiding in a closet, it's not all that fun or gratifying to hunt her down. Now, if it's a chryssalid, I'm sure Dioxine wouldn't set those to "surrender: True" or whatever, so you will have to relive Alien ;)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #564 on: May 13, 2016, 05:31:06 pm »
...Now, if it's a chryssalid, I'm sure Dioxine wouldn't set those to "surrender: True" or whatever, so you will have to relive Alien ;)

Nooo!!!!

Offline a0kribu

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 13, 2016, 05:42:15 pm »
Possible, but I don't see a point in having the same information twice.

The point of providing any information in a more accessible format is to cut out people thinking over what the information is communicating and instead make them spend their time using said information. :3
I watched someone spend 3x3 seconds in a single episode mulling over where the crafts are heading.

Edit: Obviously it might not be worth it for you. God knows.
Love the YT campaign btw.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 05:46:11 pm by a0kribu »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #566 on: May 13, 2016, 05:47:21 pm »
Well the game assumes you can read compass. Let's leave it that way. An arrow telling 'north where?' would be an insult to the player.

Offline a0kribu

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 13, 2016, 05:48:55 pm »
I can read compass all right.
Very ironically a compass has an arrow.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #568 on: May 13, 2016, 06:26:19 pm »
Don't cast these semantic spells on me, you well know what I meant. Who needs a compass if you see the whole planet? Kinda redundant IMO.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 13, 2016, 07:17:48 pm »
I think better way to implement this would be adding scripts that will handle it. With that modder will have lot of freedom on defining how to end mission.
This could be different for each mission (in "assassin mission" you could win after one kill). This could go too in opposite direction, if you loose lot of unit and your team panic, battle could end too. This will all depend on that will be calculate in scripts.