aliens

Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE+ discussion thread  (Read 720354 times)

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Meridian's resources and mods for X-PirateZ
« Reply #465 on: April 18, 2016, 05:04:35 pm »
^Arthanor - the word 'scan' looks fine. For someone like me - it makes it clear what the scanner is doing.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 18, 2016, 06:05:49 pm »
Yeah, the "scan" doesn't really hurt. It just feels odd to see writing in an otherwise graphical/figurative interface.

As it is in the patch, the advanced scanner draws boxes corresponding to the radar blips at the level where you are currently watching. So in the screenshot above, it looks like it is pointing at a 2x2 unit and a 1x1, both on the ground, but if I look at higher levels, then it says that they are at higher levels. So it keeps the z-level ambiguity of the motion scanner, you just don't need to keep a screenshot of the scanner.

Admittedly, that makes it much better than the vanilla scanner where you would have to rescan and waste TUs if you forgot something since now things are drawn so you can't forget or miscount. I'm sure Meridian could integrate the currently advanced option into a new mechanic for an advanced scanner item as well (leading to a "battle intelligence outfit" that comes with an in-built scanner and requires more advanced research than the Aye-Phone?).

As it is, I find it much nicer to use than the old version scanner. No more counting and no more disadvantage/frustration for having a terrible memory (I don't look to XCom to train my memory and don't enjoy that or having to take out a pencil and paper or screenshot), but I can understand the need to integrate this in a different way as well.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 18, 2016, 11:51:14 pm »
I'll second the irritation of recalling what a sweep told me. Accepted irritation for game but id drop it in a heart beat given the choice.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 19, 2016, 01:12:31 am »
When I use the AyePhone, I then use my iPhone to make a picture of the AyePhone because aparently I like AyePhones so much.

(it's not actually an iPhone but it sounds better that way)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #469 on: April 19, 2016, 03:49:03 am »
Q: How does, exactly, the new corpse recovery system work, because it gets more confusing by the second? What needs what flag? What if battle corpse is the same as the geo corpse? Where do recovery points should be declared? How do 2x2 units behave? Why do I get battle corpses insted of geo corpses after finishing interrogations?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 19, 2016, 10:35:49 am »
Q: How does, exactly, the new corpse recovery system work, because it gets more confusing by the second? What needs what flag? What if battle corpse is the same as the geo corpse? Where do recovery points should be declared? How do 2x2 units behave? Why do I get battle corpses insted of geo corpses after finishing interrogations?

This is the change I made: https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom/commit/d77a622a90d20c666b22752386e1659df239c6d8

As you may see I have changed:
- only Debriefing (i.e. after mission recovery), nothing else
- I have added one more conditions (recoverable=true) just before the alien corpses are recovered... it shouldn't affect anything else
- alien corpses are recovered in two cases: if they are killed, or if they are stunned and there is no containment

Of course, it is always possible that I accidentally broke something, if something doesn't work as described, give me an example and I will investigate.

----

As for the other questions:
1. Engine always recovers geoCorpses, never battleCorpses
2. However, if corpseGeo is empty it is automatically filled with the corpseBattle (as if it was defined in the ruleset)
3. For big units (2x2), the first corpseBattle is used to fill the empty corpseGeo
4. To retrieve dead or live aliens... the recoveryPoints must be greater than 0 and battleType must be "corpse".... otherwise nothing is recovered
5. To disable recovery of dead aliens, you can now specify recovery: false on the geoCorpse ... which should be the only change I made

EDIT: if by any chance you are still using corpseItem, then this can also fill the empty corpseGeo... corpseItem is the old corpseBattle from the old days
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:54:19 am by Meridian »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #471 on: April 19, 2016, 10:38:29 am »
Everything works fine for me, except that interrogated people are still leaving corpses, even though they aren't supposed to have geoCorpses. I understand why it happens, but can anything be done about this?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 19, 2016, 10:44:09 am »
Everything works fine for me, except that interrogated people are still leaving corpses, even though they aren't supposed to have geoCorpses. I understand why it happens, but can anything be done about this?

What exactly do I need to do?
There are like 7 different types of interrogation in piratez (normal research, manufacturing of broken guy, research of broken guy, slavery, robbery, etc.)... please exact steps to reproduce.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:56:52 am by Meridian »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 19, 2016, 11:02:46 am »
What exactly do I need to do?
There are like 7 different types of interrogation in piratez (normal research, manufacturing of broken guy, research of broken guy, slavery, robbery, etc.)... please exact steps to reproduce.

I was referring to normal, vanilla interrogation of caught aliens - or in my case, mostly people.
After you interrogate, say, a cultist, you're left with their corpse. Even though 1) they shouldn't have geoCorpses because they're just normal people, nothing to research here, and 2) this implies that they are killed during interrogation, which is wrong for what is essentially police force.
I don't really have any concept how to fix it.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 19, 2016, 12:31:00 pm »
I have now tried PirateZ 0.98c and

Academy Medic (STR_SECTOID_MEDIC) doesn't produce any corpse after research
Ratman (STR_BANDIT_RATMAN) doesn't produce any corpse after research

Also XFiles (the version you sent me) doesn't contain anyone called "Cultist", but I tried a random prisoner (STR_PRIEST_OF_DAGON) and it didn't generate any corpse after the research either.

Can you provide a version and a save where it happens?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 19, 2016, 05:00:32 pm »
I have now tried PirateZ 0.98c and

Academy Medic (STR_SECTOID_MEDIC) doesn't produce any corpse after research
Ratman (STR_BANDIT_RATMAN) doesn't produce any corpse after research

Also XFiles (the version you sent me) doesn't contain anyone called "Cultist", but I tried a random prisoner (STR_PRIEST_OF_DAGON) and it didn't generate any corpse after the research either.

Can you provide a version and a save where it happens?

Actually it was Dioxine who reported it to me, I haven't had the time for thorough tests myself. I'll ask him for a save or something.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #476 on: April 21, 2016, 02:41:08 pm »
Ugh, there will be no save as I run out of topics for Cultists research a long time ago, and got rid of the corpses too. But it was happening every time. Might be because Solar has GeoCorpses undefined for cultists (only BattleCorpses). If it is the reason for cultists leaving corpses after interrogation, no need to fix anything IMO. As for Piratez, indeed enemies leave their GeoCorpses after interrogation - their GeoCorpses being stuff like Durathread or Personal Databases. So it's fine.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 21, 2016, 02:45:55 pm »
As for Piratez, indeed enemies leave their GeoCorpses after interrogation - their GeoCorpses being stuff like Durathread or Personal Databases. So it's fine.

They don't leave anything for me... honestly... I tried many times.
Do you mean normal "research" of a captured prisoner when you say "interrogation"... or something else?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #478 on: April 21, 2016, 02:51:20 pm »
Yes, normal research. And they should - they always did. But the version you have is not yet fixed to follow your changes. Maybe they have recover: false or something. Solar has recover: false too, but lacks GeoCorpses, so maybe somehow it's circumventing one another. Hope you didn't mess up something... But I wouldn't blame you - the whole intertwined corpse recovery/live capture/live research mess is black magic; took me months to learn how to do it correctly. I'm actually horrified you touched it, it could mean few more months to learn how this whole thing EXACTLY works NOW :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:56:37 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 21, 2016, 06:21:57 pm »