Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE+ discussion thread  (Read 736906 times)

Offline Thirsk

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [OXCE+] Meridian's resources and mods for (not only) X-PirateZ
« Reply #1125 on: February 03, 2017, 09:23:37 am »
Personally I liked the idea, could be useful for lightsabers that have their own blocking or dodge ability. But it's no biggie, not expecting half the things I request to be fulfilled :P

Anyhow, can I please get some clarification on how the poison script works? As there are three variables but none are explained and I'm ashamedly not bright enough to figure it out lol.
Poison Strength
Poison Susceptibility
& Poison Level

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: February 03, 2017, 02:05:20 pm »
If you start moving before the throw... you make an even easier target from yourself... same as ice-hockey goalies vs. ice-hockey players. The attacker can easily compensate and you can't do shit anymore once you have started moving in that direction (changing direction is even more time-consuming than starting to move).

With this you're making it sound like you're saying that a moving target is easier to hit than a stationary one. It isn't. If the target decides to dive and roll right before you throw, you WILL have a harder time hitting it, and it can make the difference between a bulls-eye hit and a glancing blow.

That said I don't think dodging shots makes much sense in the context of X-COM. From a gameplay perspective it would be finicky and arbitrary, and the last thing the game needs is even MORE randomness to ruin things.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: February 03, 2017, 02:41:18 pm »
With this you're making it sound like you're saying that a moving target is easier to hit than a stationary one. It isn't. If the target decides to dive and roll right before you throw, you WILL have a harder time hitting it, and it can make the difference between a bulls-eye hit and a glancing blow.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.... in this case.

You can do either:
1/ one-off motion (like throwing yourself on the ground)... in which case your motion ends and your resulting position is worse than what you started with. The knife-thrower will see that... wait until you fall on the ground, have a stationary target again (even unable to move anymore)... and hit you
2/ or you start running... in a predictable pattern!... and the knife-thrower can EASILY compensate. Remember the distances we're talking about.

As for the difference between bulls-eye and glancing glow... you're right... but that we already have covered by having random damage in xcom (you can do glancing blows even with heavy plasma from one tile away : P )

That said I don't think dodging shots makes much sense in the context of X-COM. From a gameplay perspective it would be finicky and arbitrary, and the last thing the game needs is even MORE randomness to ruin things.

Agreed.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 03:03:09 pm by Meridian »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: February 03, 2017, 02:55:56 pm »
Anyhow, can I please get some clarification on how the poison script works? As there are three variables but none are explained and I'm ashamedly not bright enough to figure it out lol.
Poison Strength
Poison Susceptibility
& Poison Level

Wrong thread to ask this, you can ask Yankes directly on one of his threads, but the math goes as this: a weapon/ammunition has a poison strength, that on damaging a target is multiplied by a target unit's susceptibility / 10 (default of 0), so a susceptibility of 20 means twice the poison's power is placed on the target as the poison level on the unit.  Then, each new turn (both player and alien turn), the current poison level is subtracted from it's health, and the level goes down by one.  Thus in the example script, if the pistol poison clip (strength 6) does damage to some martian (susceptibility 20), a level of 12 is applied to the martian, and it turns green. Start of its next turn, it takes 12 damage, and the level becomes 11, start of your next turn it takes 11 damage, and the level becomes 10, etc. If at any time it takes damage from a poison weapon where strength * susceptibility / 10 is greater than the current level, then the level is set to that new number.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 03:13:38 pm by ohartenstein23 »

Offline Thirsk

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: February 03, 2017, 05:37:30 pm »
Wrong thread to ask this, you can ask Yankes directly on one of his threads, but the math goes as this: a weapon/ammunition has a poison strength, that on damaging a target is multiplied by a target unit's susceptibility / 10 (default of 0), so a susceptibility of 20 means twice the poison's power is placed on the target as the poison level on the unit.  Then, each new turn (both player and alien turn), the current poison level is subtracted from it's health, and the level goes down by one.  Thus in the example script, if the pistol poison clip (strength 6) does damage to some martian (susceptibility 20), a level of 12 is applied to the martian, and it turns green. Start of its next turn, it takes 12 damage, and the level becomes 11, start of your next turn it takes 11 damage, and the level becomes 10, etc. If at any time it takes damage from a poison weapon where strength * susceptibility / 10 is greater than the current level, then the level is set to that new number.

Oh my bad, I am in the wrong thread lol. But thanks a lot for the detailed answer..can't wait to try it out in game. Actually, just realised that you mentioned that strength is multiplied by susceptibility/10, but susceptibility being default 0, would that mean if I don't define susceptibility on every armour as 10 or more, there would be no poison effect?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: February 03, 2017, 05:41:40 pm »
Not necessarily - there is no effect if power * susceptibility is less than 10.  So with power 6, susceptibility only less than 2 would mean no effect, since 6 * 2 = 12, 12 / 10 = 1 (integer division!).

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: February 03, 2017, 08:40:47 pm »
Oh my bad, I am in the wrong thread lol. But thanks a lot for the detailed answer..can't wait to try it out in game. Actually, just realised that you mentioned that strength is multiplied by susceptibility/10, but susceptibility being default 0, would that mean if I don't define susceptibility on every armour as 10 or more, there would be no poison effect?
As this is script you can easy alter this behavioral and add default susceptibility (e.g. `if eq susceptibility 0; set susceptibility 10; end;`), overall this scripts are only examples and are far from sound game mechanic.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: February 04, 2017, 06:14:55 pm »
New version is up.

2017-02-04
 - Updated to OXCE 3.6a -- fixed several bugs
 - Fixed recovery of large unit corpses

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8itkFQbhj-YZUdFSEVQcExfaDQ

This version IS compatible with PirateZ 0.99F and upgrade is recommended.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: February 05, 2017, 04:28:00 pm »
New version is up.

2017-02-05
 - Updated to OXCE 3.6b -- https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2915.msg78514.html#msg78514
 - Removed ability to demote soldiers
 - Option to despawn mission sites even if targeted by craft: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4830.msg78515.html#msg78515

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8itkFQbhj-YNnJfR3BLeUNLNjQ

This version IS compatible with PirateZ 0.99F and upgrade is highly recommended.

Offline Thirsk

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: February 07, 2017, 02:39:04 am »
Thanks for such speedy updates Meridian!

Offline moisesjsn

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: February 10, 2017, 08:13:35 pm »
I just wanted to add this. Not sure if it is normal, or something you are going to fix in the future along with the string_firing instead of accuracy as you said. But i noticed that in  options menu, if you go to advanced and go down to the OXCE settings they also have the str_coupdegras and no desciptions. Just thought i would add that if you were not aware of it. Thanks for your efforts. gonna get back to playing.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: February 10, 2017, 08:32:01 pm »
Did you download & activate the missing strings/translations mod?
All options should have translations...

Offline moisesjsn

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: February 10, 2017, 09:08:46 pm »
Did you download & activate the missing strings/translations mod?
All options should have translations...

Ok so that is what that missing strings mod is. Ok that is probably why gonna install it right now.  I can confirm this was the issue thank you. I was confused on the missing strings and for some reason assumed it was a resource for modders only :/
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:11:05 pm by moisesjsn »

Offline KBGhost

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: February 11, 2017, 01:47:21 pm »
I noticed the thread still says X-Piratez isn't compatible.
But X-Piratez 0.99F came out, right?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: February 11, 2017, 02:01:55 pm »
Corrected. Thanks.