Author Topic: The slow grafix revamp  (Read 63842 times)

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
The slow grafix revamp
« on: December 13, 2015, 03:52:35 pm »
I've long been unsatisfied with the subpar shading quality (good shading is hard, so I won't blame you) alongside the generally blotchy look of the paperdolls.

Then a christmas miracle happened and I actually started doing something about it.

What are the results so far? Well;

Gratuitously fancy hairdos ✔

Piggy-pink whiteskins ✔
Tiddy ✔

Stylish, "Bloax-certified SHINY AS FUCK", and detailed fashion choices ✔

Hopefully I won't fall into a deep slumber of not doing shit.
Do mention your favorites from the original sprites that you would absolutely like to keep, since I don't particularly like more than a handful myself.

Oh and yes, I do plan on making inventory items too.

ok that's enough not-anime tiddy for you on a proud christian forum you can go on with your merry day now
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 05:03:12 pm by Bloax »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: The slow grafix revamp
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 04:40:06 pm »
With a bit of getting used to, those look really nice. The skin colors are still odd, but that's probably because I am so used to the yellow skin. And they're mutant gals, so they could well have different complexions.

I liked the runt outfit that looked like workshop gear, but the pockets seem really odd. Why not on the waist or shoulder straps? Having stuff attached to your legs is very cumbersome since they move so much when you walk.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 05:32:17 pm »
With a bit of getting used to, those look really nice. The skin colors are still odd, but that's probably because I am so used to the yellow skin. And they're mutant gals, so they could well have different complexions.

I liked the runt outfit that looked like workshop gear, but the pockets seem really odd. Why not on the waist or shoulder straps? Having stuff attached to your legs is very cumbersome since they move so much when you walk.

Like I said, pink f***ing unicorn land :) Things are ultra-shiny and they don't have to make sense :) My take was rather rusty/dirty/postapoc feel, in part because I'm not any sort of gfx artist, and rusty/blotchy is easier. But the quality of Bloax's work is undeniable, you just have to accept this departs from any sort of toned-down, realistic feel. Many people won't like it, I'm not sure if I like how it changes the mod, but this is a matter of personal taste and I'm very happy someone is delivering such a snazzy, high-quality alternative to my amateurish (if more true to my message) works.

Suggestions:
- Bra's pin looks bad. Who'd wear a bra with a supertight fencing shirt anyway? Corset, if anything. Some jevelry to spice up the plain top could be a good idea, though.
- Shorts can be used for an alternative version of Pirate armor - a Swabbie armor, with shorts and sleeveless, striped shirt, and no hat (some sort of bandana maybe?).
- Heavier version of Pirate - Super-wide fencing belt and short, dark, sleeved jacket with golden buttons, gallons and stuff?

I was planning several versions of Pirate armor with various stats but never managed to draw them yet.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 05:42:47 pm by Dioxine »

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 05:41:46 pm »
I think these are really amazing.

The breasts are just... too big. I honestly would like to see how they would appear perhaps a cup or two smaller?

The musculature is amazing, as well as the glistening skin and shading.

I'd like to see more eye colors (especially the glowing red).

The flair added to the armor is greatly detailed and pops very well.

Having randomized fashion choices per armor (perhaps 4-6?) would be great as well, to really minimize the standardized look-a-like appearance.

(Not trying to toot my own horn, but perhaps the trophies I listed in the other thread could inspire some choices, especially for the more advanced equipment that really begins to make gals identical twins)

Looks like the Runt armor gal has a pigtail? That's really awesome! I think that armor could use pockets as well as satchels/straps on the waist/shoulder.

My favorite armors in no particular order: Defender, Plate Mail with Shield, Revenant, Annihilator and Harbinger (although I wish this would look more like WH40k librarians; flair like banners or piratey tattoos/etchings, etc).

Also, quick reference guide: Piratez Armors

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 05:47:22 pm »
Harbinger was a quick gfx grab, if I agonized over every armor, I'd never have the mod even half-done :) Indeed it could use some heavy modification.

Also I am very curious how will Bloax handle suits like Annihilator, which are on the very opposite side of the spectrum than the Pirate outfit :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 05:50:26 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 06:20:59 pm »
Edit @ top:
Here's some of my earlier shit that didn't get into what I did it for if that gives you any indication.

My take was rather rusty/dirty/postapoc feel, in part because I'm not any sort of gfx artist, and rusty/blotchy is easier. But the quality of Bloax's work is undeniable, you just have to accept this departs from any sort of toned-down, realistic feel.
Realism is definitely straight out the window (this is X-COM, baby!) in exchange for a completely over-the-top art direction.

And to be fair, I've only gotten to the jolliest part of the arsenal; the starting ARR HERE BE PIRATES gear. I love me some gritty as fuck shit, as the shorts hint towards.

I think these are really amazing.
Thanks.

The breasts are just... too big. I honestly would like to see how they would appear perhaps a cup or two smaller?
The unfortunate truth is that I have some straight-up disability when it comes to drawing tiddies, so I had to borrow them elsewhere, and thanks to my amazing luck it actually fit very well.
The problem with that approach is that they were a little bit big, and I can't really fix it. I'd like to, but I really can't.

The musculature is amazing, as well as the glistening skin and shading.
Yeah I have no idea how that shit happened but it did and I love it myself.

I'd like to see more eye colors (especially the glowing red).
Gotcha, I'm just kinda slow at adding these extremely simple things for some reason.
Probably because I'm managing a humongous PSD file (over a hundred layers, hehe) and thinking of everything else but adding more of the small things.

The flair added to the armor is greatly detailed and pops very well.
That's my speciality. ;)

Having randomized fashion choices per armor (perhaps 4-6?) would be great as well, to really minimize the standardized look-a-like appearance.
It is a good thing, yes. And I'm probably going to give them different reactions to wearing certain clothes. Ranging from none too pleased to being quite content with the situation at hand.
(and yes that's right i did the unthinkable :^) )

(Not trying to toot my own horn, but perhaps the trophies I listed in the other thread could inspire some choices, especially for the more advanced equipment that really begins to make gals identical twins)
I'll take a look at it.

Looks like the Runt armor gal has a pigtail? That's really awesome! I think that armor could use pockets as well as satchels/straps on the waist/shoulder.
Yeah I was going to do that but then the voluptuous body that I'm working with demotivated me from that train of thought, and I got distracted with doing a bunch of other things that were needed (like another hairstyle and stockings, and then another expression) and were easier tasks.

Oh and yes, I am a fan of really fancy hairdos as you may have noticed by now.

My favorite armors in no particular order: Defender, Plate Mail with Shield, Revenant, Annihilator and Harbinger (although I wish this would look more like WH40k librarians; flair like banners or piratey tattoos/etchings, etc).
I think I was a bit slow on the edit button (fucking 'net dropouts ohoy); it's favorite faces/hairstyles. I'll very likely keep the armors somewhat close to the originals if I like them and redesign the ones that I don't like.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:26:38 pm by Bloax »

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 06:40:13 pm »

Is this red enough?

Edit:

How's this for the runt costume?

EditEdit:

Dum de dum..
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 10:52:04 pm by Bloax »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 11:30:29 pm »
Just some thoughts and feed back.  My opinion only, so take it with a grain of salt:

Here's the head shots Meridian made up:

I have some favorite hairstyles that I like that I don't think need much work, and some I'd love to see changed.

Favorites:

Ones I don't really like:

The rest are fine, don't really care either way. :) 
Just some food for thought.  Again. take it as only a suggestion.

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 11:37:05 pm »
Hm.

Anyhow, I have some sick ideas for the revenant suit, so stay tuned for that.

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 12:01:22 am »
Haha Ivan! I actually like 6,8,14,17,28 but not a fan of 27,29. :P

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 12:21:24 am »
Personally then I only like #30 and I really don't like #27 and #29 but those would be among the "fan favorites" that I'd include anyhow if there's demand.

Currently I've only settled on three four hairstyles;

(#1 has the tail artificially showing through the bags for clarity's sake)

And you might notice that they're all quite a bit more extravagant than any of the original ones.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 06:01:47 pm by Bloax »

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 12:26:14 am »
Not a big fan of the black and orange eyes - looks too artiffical compared to the rest of the doll.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 12:51:23 am »
And you might notice that they're all quite a bit more extravagant than any of the original ones.

Yeah well, extravagant maybe, but these hairdos have little character compared to the original ones, where there was something for anyone, yours are more or less all the same, character-wise, so there's very little waifu value. But do not despair, we have 96 unused slots for hairdos :)

I happen to agree that #30 is the prettiest of the old ones, she's my own character in a game :)

Also the hair is generally too long IMO, even for long-haired characters. It's a hard sell that these girls actually fight for a living in a crapsack world. And only half of the in-game characters are long-haired, the other half - short-haired.

So, my opinion would be rather to beautify and keep most of the old ones. Might be hard having only my drawings
Whom we're trying to pay homage to here (but not perfect semblance, we don't want that...):
#1 Victoria Seras, Hellsing
#3 Saber/Saber Alter, Fate Stay Night
#7 Hmm a butchy evil character from Agent Aika had similar hairdo. Just need more spirals and drills. And her hair was pink.
#8 Miku, Hatsune, VIP, OMG, WTF
#14 Azu-nyan, K-On!
#17 Madoka, Puella Magi Madoka Magica
#32 Sakura, Fate Stay Night

Also planned but not done yet:
- Nanoha - Nanoha
- Leina - Queen's Blade
- Tohsaka Rin - Fate Stay Night
- Kagami (+glasses) - Lucky Star
- Rena Rune - Aquarion

The ones I don't really care about are 19, 21, 23

Also, bone structure. Not all girls should have that pointy predatory face, some need round & soft faces, some need cute faces, some need big-jaw faces. I think these 4 should be enough.

EDIT: @Runt. These bags and extras actually make it less cool to the first plain look. Maybe just have the first one (just the single article of clothing, not even shoes) + a large side bag with a strap over the chest + the biggest one of thigh pouches? The belt kinda ruins it. Runt outfit is supposed to say 'hey I am poor person I live in the sticks'
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 01:02:12 am by Dioxine »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 01:02:45 am »
Since we're all contributing hairdo preferences:

My favs: 11, 13 (oh so innocent looking..!), 15, 20, 24, 30
Least favs: 1, 10, 16, 17, 18, 26

27 should be given to gals that have spent too much time in the sick bay.

PS. When this is released, might I get access to "clean runt legs" to modify the paperdolls? I wouldn't ask normally, but now that I've thought about it, I can't unsee "coconut-crab climbing on gals" when I look at it.

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 01:19:02 pm »
Yeah well, extravagant maybe, but these hairdos have little character compared to the original ones, where there was something for anyone, yours are more or less all the same, character-wise, so there's very little waifu value. But do not despair, we have 96 unused slots for hairdos :)
Well do keep in mind that I literally only just started doing this shit a couple of days ago, so obviously I'm going to cover my own preferences first.
I do find it funny that you mention that they lack character, since I find that the original ones are rather lifeless. But perhaps that's just a consequence of me generally not liking the originals and how they look, since I do see something in some of them.

This is not necessarily a problem, since it only takes me about 20 minutes or so to scratch out an entire hairdo from scratch, and I'm just going to need some specific ones to either steal (sharing is caring!) from references or revamp.
And keep in mind that this project that I'll hopefully finish is a pretty long-term campaign; I have plenty of time to blow (especially with school coming to an eventual end), and I do not expect to be done in less than several months from now. There's plenty of time for getting retarded.

Also the hair is generally too long IMO, even for long-haired characters. It's a hard sell that these girls actually fight for a living in a crapsack world. And only half of the in-game characters are long-haired, the other half - short-haired.
Realism has already been thrown out the window, so I'm just enjoying the ride.
I'm sure there are neat (relatively) short-haired haircuts but I just haven't been able to think of any in my discorded mind.

So, my opinion would be rather to beautify and keep most of the old ones. Might be hard having only my drawings
Whom we're trying to pay homage to here (but not perfect semblance, we don't want that...):
#1 Victoria Seras, Hellsing
#3 Saber/Saber Alter, Fate Stay Night
#7 Hmm a butchy evil character from Agent Aika had similar hairdo. Just need more spirals and drills. And her hair was pink.
#8 Miku, Hatsune, VIP, OMG, WTF
#14 Azu-nyan, K-On!
#17 Madoka, Puella Magi Madoka Magica
#32 Sakura, Fate Stay Night

Also planned but not done yet:
- Nanoha - Nanoha
- Leina - Queen's Blade
- Tohsaka Rin - Fate Stay Night
- Kagami (+glasses) - Lucky Star
- Rena Rune - Aquarion
Sounds like a PM with images of these is in order, since I don't exactly watch things, even if I do know a select few of the mentioned ones.

Also, bone structure. Not all girls should have that pointy predatory face, some need round & soft faces, some need cute faces, some need big-jaw faces. I think these 4 should be enough.
I'll see what I can do - it's really difficult to tinker with the faces, since the difference a couple of shades on a few pixels makes is enormous and only a few select combinations of these makes sense as a legitimate facial expression on a given facial structure. (And then there's making it play nice alongside the white/black split, hoho.)

EDIT: @Runt. These bags and extras actually make it less cool to the first plain look. Maybe just have the first one (just the single article of clothing, not even shoes) + a large side bag with a strap over the chest + the biggest one of thigh pouches? The belt kinda ruins it. Runt outfit is supposed to say 'hey I am poor person I live in the sticks'
Gotcha. I do intend on the vast majority of them being very plain, then I kept the stockings on for a while for stylish reasons.

I'll nuke the belt from orbit, though I may sneak it in a couple among a lot of variants. (Since let's be honest, it's starting to look like there will be a lot of variants.)