aliens

Author Topic: Extended Piratez general FAQ/Strategy Guide  (Read 328673 times)

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Extended Piratez general FAQ/Strategy Guide
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2018, 02:45:56 am »
By the time you can build this you don't need it.

You might need it to build the Conqueror, that is if you feel like doing Cydonia and the grind to get there.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2018, 10:55:20 am »
Why ever build bases defensively? You lose space!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2018, 11:27:43 am »
Why ever build bases defensively? You lose space!

I don't build defensively either, since usually it's the intruders who defend themselves from my assault. :P

Offline bouchacha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2018, 07:31:15 pm »
Feel free to correct me on anything:

Damage is first run through random chance variable (50%-150% for melee and 0%-200% for ranged), then modified by the armor damage resistance, and then has the armor value subtracted. Anything left over is typically applied as health damage. Damage resistance is typically more beneficial than raw armor values as a result.

Some damage type ignores these rules completely. Lasers are reliable anti-armor as they ignore 1/3 of all armor values and typically no enemy resists them. Chem applies significant damage against armor values *before* they are reduced by said armor values. Bio, charm, smoke and others ignore all armor value.

Melee has reliable damage variables and also most importantly does NOT trigger reaction shots from enemies. Each unit has a melee evasion stat, but this is reduced when flanking from the side and back. Positioning is therefore especially important and your melee gals will use a ton of energy to sprint into position and to swing their weapons. Make sure they have plenty of beer on hand. With proper equipment and positioning, you can one-shot sectopods.

Sometimes faster more fragile armor leads to more survivability than sturdy but slow outfits. You can't get shot at if you're behind cover or otherwise unseen, and you don't need armor if you're not getting shot at.

Capturing people for slavery is almost always the best way to go.

Training your gals happens by doing: accuracy with firing, throwing with grenades which damage enemies, etc. Bravery is reliably trained with seduction and using first aid (alcohol doesn't count) on both injured gals AND bleeding enemies. Bonus of resuscitating downed enemies is another target to shoot at as a way of training firing accuracy. Win-win. You can also seriously game the training algorithm by equipping weapons that have no chance of hurting an otherwise armored enemy (e.g. SMG vs Megapol). See more: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Experience

Seduction trains both Bravery and VooDoo Skill and you can stun out enemies in powered armor reliably in 1-3 hits. The downside is the Seductress outfit is very fragile. Keep a canteen on hand to reduce stun damage.

Research is not as important as in vanilla XCOM, especially with how expensive brainers are. More paramount is ensuring you have a steady and reliable source of income and that is based on selling loot and manufacturing merchandise. You should invest most of your money into expanding your manufacturing capacity early on.

You can safely sell any chips you loot as counterfeiting is not necessarily game-breakingly profitable and comes rather late in the game. Chateau distilling is an early game item that remains profitable for a long time and Apples are the primary reason to go after all missions happening in villages (typically LokNar assistance, but sometimes UFO crash landings). Apples also allow you to make Rum which is an extremely useful and versatile item you'll use into the late game so don't spend it all on Chateau.

Keep all integrated devices, optronic components, and force circuitry no matter how tempting their selling price might be. They're useful components in higher level manufacturing.

Crackdowns are faction specific so don't go after enemies you don't want to take on inside your base. This primarily means staying far away from Mercenaries and Star Gods shipping. Mercs are heavily armored and have sky-high reactions; while Star Gods are shielded, have dangerous Psi capabilities, and come with Sectopods.

There is a surrender mechanic which depends on the remaining morale of the enemy units. If you find that it hasn't triggered yet, it most likely is being held up by an enemy which doesn't or rarely panics (e.g. academy drones or attack dogs).

Enabling debug mode can help overcome some of the tedium present. Ctrl+D reveals the entire map, Ctrl+W teleports units to where you click, Ctrl+J stuns everyone, Ctrl+K kills everyone. This can significantly save time on missions which have an obvious outcome. Debug mode also acts as a great experimental lab for you to test out different weapons.

SMGs are typically not that great for your gals as their primary benefit (low-weight) only helps slaves and peasant soldiers. Exceptions apply to one-handed SMGs like Death Blossom which are a perfect side-arm for melee gals. Rifles with auto-shot capabilities are an excellent choice for standard issue equipment. Rifles have infinite range for aimed shots, this means that as long as you can spot the target, there is no drop-off by distance. Pistols are good for melee gals and infiltration missions.

Dropping explosives is 100% accurate and uses significantly less TUs than throwing (~4 vs. 30).

Dogs are near-perfect base defense units. Very fast, built-in Aye Phone, and their bite *could* potentially damage powered armor units with a lucky roll.

Some health damage helps reduce the chance that enemies will regenerate stun. Alternatively, smoke grenades are a reliable way of ensuring that stunned enemies stay down because they apply stun damage every turn so long as the enemy isn't choking immune.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:33:04 am by bouchacha »

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2018, 08:02:11 pm »

Research is not as important as in vanilla XCOM, especially with how expensive brainers are. More paramount is ensuring you have a steady and reliable source of income and that is based on selling loot and manufacturing merchandise. You should invest most of your money into expanding your manufacturing capacity early on.

Research is very important. It is source of the great amount of Infamy and 1 Infamy point is like 1k $, or something. Lack of research will hurt as soon as mid-gameplay. When power armor enemies and Star Gods will start appear you might don't have weapons to efficiently deal with them. Of course good ol'axe can bring them down, but they are usually not alone so you just can't sprint to them that easily. Those enemies are real test for your research level.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2018, 01:16:24 am »
Due to the way research generates infamy score and therefore income(both funding boosts and the per month bonus) research is still pretty important to progress even if the individual techs themselves are not.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2018, 01:54:23 am »
Lasers are reliable anti-armor as they ignore 1/3 of all armor values and typically no enemy resists them.

Unless the latest version changed it, armor worn by Church enemies are resistant to laser.

Offline bouchacha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2018, 06:41:00 am »
I think I was careful with my words. I didn't say that research was not important, I said it wasn't as important as vanilla XCOM. In that game, it wasn't unusual to quickly expand to a 200 scientist laboratory to burn through the research tree. That is neither an optimal strategy or even a good idea in X-Piratez. Given that many X-Piratez players are steeped in Vanilla XCOM habits, it's important to dispel that a default strategy in vanilla will not necessarily help in this mod.

Unless the latest version changed it, armor worn by Church enemies are resistant to laser.
I don't remember seeing this but I could be wrong. The exception is that Type 1 shields (personal refractors) are indeed resistant to lasers while most other damage goes right through them. Is that what you mean?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2018, 08:13:37 am »
Church units zealot and above have some laser resist, but most all of them have the armor/hp to make the reduction meaningful.

For example the exalt has 30% resist but only 25 armor. After accounting for resist and 33% ap, you only need about 30 dmg to get through. Even the nerf pistol is  likely to do some damage.

The best combo of resist+armor the church fields(beastmasters) can still be harmed by laser hits of about 40 dmg. 

So except for pistols and some of the lower tech lasers most lasers will still do damage once shields are down to any churchy.

Offline Blood Raven 117

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2018, 10:19:40 am »
The debug mode tips is suuuuper useful. I'm so happy you told us that because I was always getting bored doing the "Search entire map of some urban sprawl for like 30 minutes" Shtick each time for just normal missions.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2018, 01:50:28 pm »
If you don't feel like cheating with debug, just use motion scanners (= aye phones).
Unless the survivors surrender that's the only tool you can count on besides outfit with SENSE.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2018, 02:26:07 pm »
At last in base defence missions it seems that the last enemies often bug out and stop moving once they climbed into the back of your base from the sewage tunnels.

Offline LytaRyta

• Colonel
  • Lisbeth ;p My Engrish is easy bad, Csaba is dead!
    • View Profile
    • svetmightandmagic.cz
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2018, 02:42:33 pm »
The debug mode tips is suuuuper useful. I'm so happy you told us that because I was always getting bored doing the "Search entire map of some urban sprawl for like 30 minutes" Shtick each time for just normal missions.

debug mode ? tips ? what do you mean?

btw.what about -as another source of so-much-needed *neue *Ameros" (hehe  8) - let´s make Pirateyz´ ekonomry even .."wider", more komplex :

1.)   from (aplicable, fitting) researched .."things" - make patents (mass-production, factory fee)

2.) - from patents, /mass-manufacturing rights - lets make, produce, & sell a goods! for profit

various goods, for any, /& every factions, and overal populations, ppls, on Earth & others worlds, of 2609! :p

of course, - the Factory (or, at least 1Industrial Printer) would be need

[(..Pirátky si patentujú, vyrábajú, a predávajú různé ..produkty, výrobky (na základe vynájdeních, vyzkůúmaních položiek )]

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 12, 2018, 04:54:10 pm »
Unless you're training your gals and need the kills, capturing people for slavery is almost always the best way to go.

Training your gals happens by doing: accuracy with firing, strength with carrying, etc. Bravery is reliably trained with seduction and using first aid (alcohol doesn't count) on both injured gals AND bleeding enemies. Bonus of resuscitating downed enemies is another target to shoot at as a way of training firing accuracy. Win-win.

Smoke grenades are a reliable way of ensuring that stunned enemies stay down. This is primarily useful for high-health enemies with good stun recovery.

1. You don't need to kill to train skills. Skill is trained with any successful hit, regardless if it does damage. More hits means more skill gain. See https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Experience
Option one: use non leathal ammo like shotgun rubber bullets. They do less damage so you need more hits, which trains your skill more quickly.
Option two: use low damage weapons vs. armored enemies to get skill points without doing damage. For example SMG vs Megapol.
Of course, safety of your gals comes first.

2. Carrying doesn't train strength. Again, read https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Experience. Training firing also trains strength.
Bravery: Is also trained by having your moral lower than 50 and not panicking. To train bravery, put a gal in a high stress outfit like the barbarian "Savage" variant and just have her standing somewhere save during a battle.

3. Doing some health damage can also reduce or prevent stun regeneration. For example, shotgun rubber bullets do exactly the right amount of health damage that human enemies won't get back up if downed by rubber bullets.

Offline bouchacha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 13, 2018, 01:32:44 am »
Thank you Eddie for correcting my misinformation. I edited my post.