Author Topic: Extended Piratez general FAQ/Strategy Guide  (Read 328939 times)

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Extended Piratez general FAQ/Strategy Guide
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2015, 08:05:33 am »
Here we go again!! What is the benefit of whining about people making the game easier for themselves? People will do so if they want to. He stated his reasons clearly and they are his reasons. People play XCOM for different reason. I use it to unwind at the end of a long day (I only have 30 mins to 1hr to play per day) and respect those who have the time to play it the Dioxine way.

The cheat he did was money .. not weapons, not modding player stats, not modding the vessels, not modding the armors or even pressing a kill-all combination on game start up. Psstttt!!

Oh and for someone who has modded I got full satisfaction from piratez, you see the one thing I enjoyed was the research tree - it is BRILLIANT!! I also like the Slavery and Interrogation mechanics. You have limited brainerz and you have to select which path to go down. On my second play, I didnt give myself shitloads of money but one thing I did give myself is my stun pistol (TM) - BSZZZTT!!! Now the beauty about stun is the Dark Ones. It is almost impossible to stun them.  ;D ;D ;D Need about 6 gals concentrated on one and firing for all their lives!

Well that all said and done - I noticed that the church has been changed in version 0.97. I look forward to interrogations.

Offline vlad

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2015, 08:58:53 am »
It just makes your experience much less relevant for discussion
... cheaters are just a waste of players; they will get little to none satisfaction from playing the mod it took me so much work to make, and then can say nothing meaningful about the experience. .... just cheats himself out of most of the pleasure from playing it ...
To feel completely overwhelmed, to be completely lost and unsure of things

I am pretty sure none of the questions was affected by the money part and frankly, doing so just showed ties between parts of the game i couldn't test in "new battle" feature - not worrying about base, money, whatever. I know how work and reward come together, thats not a new concept in live or playing. With all that money i wouldn't be worried about how much things cost, how should i save fuel etc. I am the one that has to decide that and i am more than capable of doing so even with 30M cash at hand - refer to previous post. (Funny thing is, the slavery question which is first question of this thread, got me wondering what the tech tree looks like.) The fact that we are discussing this on game that isnt long time top10 and its offspring to rewrite the said game and mod of that offspring to change the game's feel makes pretty clear that we are kinda fans of the game - in a hardcore notion of that. But the risk of me dropping out off the mod was (lets face it, i did have time to evaluate it for myself) real, whether you like it or not.

Granted, to ease the game with money isnt type of thing you consider something else, but that enabled me to do things described in previous parts. I have yet to play the mod for real, and i will give it a shot AFTER i've seen chunk of it. After all someone did the work to make it like that.
What i am frowning upon and why i am taking time to write this, is that changing aspect of game (and it doesn't matter if one way or the other) is something modding community is frowning upon, that's just juicy to me.

I'm not sure what the problem is? You can tell from the number you just showed how much stuff a gal carries
The problem is i dont have it there. I got this picture from my OXC, not from OXCE - XPiratez. And not sure if its part of the exe or just enabled somewhere.
edit : found it in advanced options, ty
edit2 : small typos

edit3 : what is the slot QD about ? what is it used for ?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 01:34:54 pm by vlad »

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2015, 01:47:01 pm »
QD should be quick draw.. carry a pistol there or extra clips.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2015, 05:47:09 pm »
Re: Cheating
No need to be touchy about it, just accept you're doing it and some people here will comment on it, then we can move on. My comment was on a general basis as to why cheating is frowned upon, not for your questions specifically. If I didn't think they were relevant, I wouldn't have spent my time answering them, but it does affect some of your questions, namely on how to take out armored units and blast buildings. You self-limited because you thought you shouldn't be able to afford those tools, and you have a much greater capacity to purchase them with extra money, but the real experience is somewhere in the middle where you spend a fraction of your hard earned money to buy some, because you know you need them, but at the same time try to minimize your need for them until money flows more freely.

QD stands for "quick draw", and is the slot from which you can get something to your hands with the lowest TU cost. It's handy to put a pistol, small melee weapon, couple grenades/bombs in for quick access, while leaving your hands free when using a two-handed weapon.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2015, 06:18:43 pm »
It's handy to put a pistol

You have a strange way of spelling "rum" :)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2015, 06:44:21 pm »
Oh, I tend to keep booze securely strapped in the gals' belt. It's best enjoyed slowly any ways ;) Usually, when they need it, I can spare the extra few TUs, whereas they can make more of a difference when trying to shoot/stun a target :P

Offline vlad

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2015, 09:32:56 pm »
Yeah, i wasn't pointing fingers, just pulled general representing ideas and developed on that base.
-----
That's what i am doing right now, trying to figure out the way to equip the gals. I just read somewhere more about 2H vs 1H weapons. I noticed that only on hammer, as its specifically said there (and few one-handed guns), but then i realized that many other weapons are actually 2H  and should be equipped in a N/A + weapon fashion for higher accuracy, right ? Might be kinda missing from booty for starting players. I catched a glimpse of some note about 3-armed mutants, but i guess that isnt any of the gals.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 09:35:08 pm by vlad »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2015, 09:52:18 pm »
Yeah, there are a bunch of 2-handed weapons, some of which don't advertise it. Most ranged weapons that aren't pistols are 2-handed, but some shotguns are 1-handed. The hammer is 2-handed, but since it uses the snapshot mechanic, it can barely miss any ways. Fuso sword and cattle prod are two important ones, as they do use their accuracy and people may not realize that they are two-handed. I think the spear is one of those too.

The only real way to tell (besides looking into the ruleset) is to look at how a gal is holding it in battlescape. Horizontally, it is 2-handed, vertically, it is 1-handed.

niculinux

« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2015, 11:26:40 pm »
Another quicktip - good also for vanilla xcom/other mods since in playthrougths i've seen no one uses them - in the battlescape pressing Q and E will access to what you soldriers is wielding respectively in left and right hand :)

Hey, how do the heck i pre-prime grenades in inventory screen?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2015, 11:37:03 pm »
Hey, how do the heck i pre-prime grenades in inventory screen?

R-click on them.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2015, 01:56:12 pm »
Spam the hell out of smoke grenades is numero uno.

niculinux

« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2015, 01:14:37 pm »
Spam the hell out of smoke grenades is numero uno.

believe or not, saw it on some playtrough but never used it (!!!) I stdongly advice, as for my playstyle, massive use of explosives in the early game, until player gets acess to kaser and plasma weapons.Grenade launchers, RPG and mortars usually saves the day, at least against armored villains :)

OK, now on ransom, i am not sure i understood: in the fence stuff screen the "value" is displayed, i have a church neofite at the bottom of the screen, but when accessing the prison cells from the base screen it does not displays the cash, so it's the same amount of the fence screen? Maybe would be nice to add the value also in the prison screen i think :/

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2015, 11:01:16 pm »
It is the same amount. Changing the interface is not possible by mods, only by coding.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2015, 12:11:40 am »
Changing the interface is not possible by mods, only by coding.

Also, this would only really apply to PirateZ as in vanilla and other mods, you don't "sell" your live captives, you execute them and the corpses go into base stores.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2015, 06:44:10 pm »
Also, this would only really apply to PirateZ as in vanilla and other mods, you don't "sell" your live captives, you execute them and the corpses go into base stores.

In vanilla, you can enable it as Advanced Option too.

I added some more info on the screen, when the option is turned on, see screenshot:
  * each row shows alien sell cost
  * on the top, there is a total value of sales
It will be available tomorrow in my custom build (https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4187.0.html).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 06:45:51 pm by Meridian »