Author Topic: Extended Piratez general FAQ/Strategy Guide  (Read 334796 times)

xcomfan

Re: Extended Piratez general FAQ/Strategy Guide
« Reply #510 on: April 16, 2020, 02:03:02 pm »
Oh man... One missile attack and most of it will probably disintegrate.

oops.... :-[ eh sorry what's wrong with it?

I forgot: may someine explain how the upgrade structure system works? Im not very familiar with it, can you even provide a brief summary of what is "upgradable" (be built on top of another) and what don't

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 16, 2020, 02:14:20 pm »
You also want to keep in mind to do the krazy hannah research as it has a lot of dependencies on important stuff like explosive munitions and light craft weapons which are important if you want to start taking down a lot of shipping.

You can check which facilities can be build on top of another by middle clicking it and looking at the analysis page to see if it says yes on build on top,usualy those are corridors of all kind and all plantations but there might be more

Offline Gremlion

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 16, 2020, 03:00:32 pm »
1. Buildings should be connected to access lift. If connection is destroyed, then the building is destroyed. Both top and bottom don't have redundancy and can be oneshotted.
2. Enemies during assault spawn in the hangar and access lift. Look at your lift - enemies can wander in 4 directions. You have seen my save, in my bases enemies can't wander to the left - there's the wall, and doesn't matter if they go to the top - there's a hangar.
3. You units spawn in the barracks - the farther you put it from the action, the worse it can get. People which will spawn in the burrow near extractor would take 3+ turns to reach access lift. Another moment - if things get unfortunate, units which spawned in the barracks to the left have nowhere to run away from enemies.
4. to my knowledge you want to have hangar + access lift in each base on every difficulty below superhuman to allow all enemies to spawn, and 2 hangars on superhuman. If you don't, you will have too many enemies for too little spawn points, they would start randomly spawn around the base.
5. Your equipment will spawn in the vault, which is to the right of the access lift. Imagine that you need rocket launcher ammo, and to get to it you need to run though enemies in access lift.

There are 2 common ways to build defensible base -
row 1- Hangar - hangar - empty
row 2 - hangar-hangar-empty
row 3 - access lift - empty
row 4 - corridor - empty
row 5 - corridor - barracks.
This results in forcing enemies to walk long hallway with no cover so you can snipe them. Cons - unused space, to get to last enemies you will need to walk long hallway with no cover, usually sieges are pretty long because you constantly skip turns.
(being vertical isn't mandatory, you can mirror and/or flip layout)
2. Like in my save, surround enemy spawn point with barracks.
Your forces spawn close to enemies and you can do devastating blows on turn 1, while they haven't scattered yet, making them panic
con - enemies can get a ton of cover in prolonged firefights, though sieges longer than 5 turns usually those where last enemy is stuck somewhere and I'm skipping turns for bughunt mode.

Upgrading -
Building new facilities over obsolete buildings, like Plantations or Burrows, saves valuable time. When the new facility is small, full construction time of the old building will be subtracted; if 2x2, a quarter for each replaced building; if 3x3, one-ninth. Any refunds for the replaced facilities will be fully paid in any case.
Upgrading works on low tier living space and storage, all corridors, hangar, first prison and plantation.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 03:06:50 pm by Gremlion »

Offline Nalca

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 16, 2020, 05:58:53 pm »
oops.... :-[ eh sorry what's wrong with it?

If a missile strike hit your base, it will destroy 3 random buildings. If one of the security corridor is destroyed, you lose half your base.
You destroy them either with a very fast craft (Speed > 4500), or with base defenses.

A very nasty thing if you're not prepared.

xcomfan

« Reply #514 on: April 16, 2020, 08:33:03 pm »
all right, well i noticed that i can get chitin plates only researching an alive cockroach. There are other way to get these for example cavern hunting?

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 16, 2020, 10:10:39 pm »
all right, well i noticed that i can get chitin plates only researching an alive cockroach. There are other way to get these for example cavern hunting?
You can physically obtain them from extracting from live and dead cockroaches and scorpions, cavern hunting, as a random drop from certain missions like blood ritual and from certain events. Researching a live cockroach only gives you the research entry.

Offline Gremlion

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 16, 2020, 10:25:14 pm »
Cavern hunting doesn't need chitin plates to become available, and it produces chitin plates, get them there and then research them yourself. It is the most straightforward way.
From my experience 10 hunts generate enough for 3-4 armors.
Since cavern hunting usually becomes available in the same month as monster hunt, getting chitin plates from the latter would be delayed a lot compared to getting plates from runt job. (Like, I got my first scorpion hunt 4 months later after researching missions)

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 17, 2020, 01:05:55 am »
Cavern hunting doesn't need chitin plates to become available, and it produces chitin plates, get them there and then research them yourself. It is the most straightforward way.
From my experience 10 hunts generate enough for 3-4 armors.
Since cavern hunting usually becomes available in the same month as monster hunt, getting chitin plates from the latter would be delayed a lot compared to getting plates from runt job. (Like, I got my first scorpion hunt 4 months later after researching missions)

I mean you can potentially get scorpion and cockroach corpses from expedition strongboxes but generally cavern hunting is more guaranteed. Takes a good number of runt hours tho.

xcomfan

« Reply #518 on: April 30, 2020, 06:35:31 pm »
I did a "help the locknaar" mission in L1 and got penalyzed by capitatory tax. What is that?

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
  • Just another player/modder combo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 30, 2020, 07:04:43 pm »
I did a "help the locknaar" mission in L1 and got penalyzed by capitatory tax. What is that?

Something carried by civilians where if they die or fall unconscious, they drop it on the ground. It either costs 1000$ to get rid of or takes up storage space. Basically it's meant to discourage knocking out civilians and to incentivize keeping them alive.

xcomfan

« Reply #520 on: May 01, 2020, 07:20:35 pm »
OK, so i went for the golden codex, but still stuck on firearms. Any hint how to unlock laser ones?

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 01, 2020, 09:44:43 pm »
It's more complicated than simply unlocking it. There are some lasers you will find, some you will be able to buy and eventually some you can make. Being able to make lasers is a bit later in the tech tree (I want to say it requires library), so you will need to research a lot to get to that point.

EDIT: Looked it up in the tech tree, it's not quite as far as I thought but it still has a lot of dependencies. If you REALLY want to know what it requires, just use the tech tree viewer (press q on globe).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 10:29:34 pm by MemoryTAS »

Offline Gremlion

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 02, 2020, 12:17:45 am »
You should forget original x-com progression, you aren't "stuck with firearms and need laser".
In this mod progression looks like
start - medieval firearms + random loot
start of 1 year - modern firearms + random loot
start of 2 year - custom made firearms + custom made bullets + some random loot of different damage types with ammo you can make

You can rush laser, but items you will be able to unlock early will be weaker than handcannon (NERF pistol has 30 damage vs 42 +0.15 bravery, up to 57), I wouldn't even talk about lasers you can loot from academicians, they do like 15-20 damage.

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 02, 2020, 03:59:32 pm »
You should forget original x-com progression, you aren't "stuck with firearms and need laser".
In this mod progression looks like
start - medieval firearms + random loot
start of 1 year - modern firearms + random loot
start of 2 year - custom made firearms + custom made bullets + some random loot of different damage types with ammo you can make

You can rush laser, but items you will be able to unlock early will be weaker than handcannon (NERF pistol has 30 damage vs 42 +0.15 bravery, up to 57), I wouldn't even talk about lasers you can loot from academicians, they do like 15-20 damage.
There's some quirks to laser damage: they generally have better armor piercing than most piercing damage. Additionally some early lasers don't use ammo clips which can be nice if you're into that sort of thing, and can serve as ok backup weapons in case you massively underestimate how much ammo you need. Otherwise they're not great. Some ok laser weapons you can find as scavenge not too far into the game but you're not going to be able to make clips for them for a while.

Offline Gremlion

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 02, 2020, 05:56:11 pm »
I'm not saying that they are useless, my point is that "how to get lasers" is a wrong question for this mod whatsoever. It has completely different progression and should be played as its own game.
Like, I do use lasers in my loadout, in 2 years I used them once against tanks in heavy freighter assault.