Author Topic: Bugs & Crash Reports  (Read 1470278 times)

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs & Crash Reports
« Reply #1680 on: June 04, 2017, 10:32:16 pm »
Shouldn't the 0g missions research have some "!"?

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #1681 on: June 05, 2017, 06:19:00 pm »
A wall out of place or something:

Also I encountered a reaper cavalry spawning on a roof of a house during a 'help lok'naars' mission, which then happily proceeded to walk all over the map at zlevel 2 - given 1-tile gaps between houses it could happily step them over. Seems like a bug in routes, and a bug in large unit pathfinding, where ground large units can walk when at least one tile of them is on some kind of a floor. the reaper in question happily walked with half of it hanging off the roof. Unfortunately i lost the save for that one.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: June 05, 2017, 10:18:33 pm »
Hit-animation of assault cannon (normal cannonball) seems to be broken.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: June 05, 2017, 11:15:16 pm »
A wall out of place or something:
snip

That's pretty normal for the slums tileset, the larger buildings exceed the size of the mix'n'match cubes map are normally made from. So freestanding walls or buildings missing one side are common. Or side of a building adjacent to ground floor encased yard.

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #1684 on: June 05, 2017, 11:27:27 pm »
That's pretty normal for the slums tileset, the larger buildings exceed the size of the mix'n'match cubes map are normally made from. So freestanding walls or buildings missing one side are common. Or side of a building adjacent to ground floor encased yard.

Oh, well .. I'd guess, the road block was supposed to have a building there by the side, but there is no way to express this dependency in the map script. If only maps were larger.. I'm getting claustrophoic sometimes and that leads to liberal application of nukes and dragons .. not good for the loot and/or civilians.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #1685 on: June 06, 2017, 02:21:07 am »
The slum tileset was originally designed for UFO2000.
UFO2000 used a totally different map scripting language, leading to maps being designed in another procedural way.
There are actually a few more tilesets to which this also applies.

You need very specific mapscript configurations to actually make those tilesets work properly.
Procedural generation of the map is here only partially possible, due to how the maps are designed.

Either only give a limited procedural generation, by making some predefined maptile combination or rework the maps.
On this part, not correctly written mapScript, in my eyes.

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #1686 on: June 06, 2017, 09:29:43 pm »
The slum tileset was originally designed for UFO2000.
UFO2000 used a totally different map scripting language, leading to maps being designed in another procedural way.
There are actually a few more tilesets to which this also applies.

Ah, the memories.. Thanks to pointing this out. Seems like openxcom mapscript grew inadequate to the tasks, re other topic about placing factions in certain mapblocks. Maybe it's worth it to do another mapscript type (actually, side-by-side implementation of BattlescapeGenerator), to get rid of the limitations. Make it Lua, for example, but not encourage the free-form code as it was in ufo2k.

In other news, there appears a spelling error in 'Reedeem':

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: June 08, 2017, 12:15:32 am »
Text missing!

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #1688 on: June 09, 2017, 01:16:29 am »
user/mods/Piratez/ROUTES/VAMPCASTLE_31.RMP is missing from the archive.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1689 on: June 09, 2017, 01:03:21 pm »
Drakkar crew bug.

Unconfirmed. Re-checked and works as intended when tested here on v. 99G1. All 12 hands are spawned. Save plz?

Seems like openxcom mapscript grew inadequate to the tasks

Free-standing/missing walls look slum enough to me. It'd look strange if buildings were complete IMO.

user/mods/Piratez/ROUTES/VAMPCASTLE_31.RMP is missing from the archive.

Does it cause a crash? That map isn't even used for anything yet.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 01:09:45 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #1690 on: June 09, 2017, 02:44:20 pm »
Free-standing/missing walls look slum enough to me. It'd look strange if buildings were complete IMO.

You're the boss :) It just seemed strange.

Does it cause a crash? That map isn't even used for anything yet.

No crash, just something I found debugging some of my code.

Offline kikanaide

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: June 09, 2017, 06:47:25 pm »
I believe I found a mission spawning bug that can lead to a tech tree dead-end.  I'm basing this on a lot of guesswork, so if I'm wrong about something just let me know.  I'm assuming:

1)  Assumption: The only place Mechtoids spawn is Reticulan missions and bases. 
2)  I *think* that means you need one of the two following missions: STR_MISSION_LOC_RET_BASE or STR_MISSION_RETICULAN_TRADING
3)  Assumption: The only place missions spawn is Piratez_Factions.rul
4)  Those missions aren't in the standard tables for any continent
5)  Assumption: So they need a wave event (missionScript)
6)  They only appear on three missionScripts: giftsOfBlood, giftsOfBlood_NoSway, and giftsOfBlood_Sway

But if I'm reading those missionScripts correctly, there are MULTIPLE ways to make reticulans stop showing up, ever.  For example: simply contacts: reticulan before getting a Mechtoid corpse (you're in swayrets, which doesn't have reticulans).  Or do contacts: reticulans and family ties.  That...actually takes you out of the giftsOfBlood entirely.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1692 on: June 09, 2017, 07:16:21 pm »
And? What is so special about the Mechtoid Corpse? Am I missing something?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1693 on: June 09, 2017, 08:00:05 pm »
And? What is so special about the Mechtoid Corpse? Am I missing something?

It looks like its a prereq for Reticulan Power Systems, in turn a prereq for Power Tools Prereq, STC_RFR, Magnetic Containment, etc.  This might be a significant bottleneck?

Offline kikanaide

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: June 09, 2017, 08:29:54 pm »
Basically what ivandogovich said; it prereqs into Reticulan Power Systems.  While that unlocks Power Tools, you can get that another way.  The real issue is it's a hard requirement for Magnetic Containment Field, which is in turn a hard requirement for Plasma Weapons, Tesla Coils, and...Higher Studies (and through that, Mars).  Which means the game is unwinnable.

The only source for Mechtoid corpse, other than a dead Mechtoid, is govt/Reticulan Files.  But that needs Fusing Human and Reticulan Tech...which requires Reticulan Power Systems.  So if you research Contacts:Reticulans prior to getting a Mechtoid Corpse (which I did), your game is done.  This probably doesn't pop up real often because Contacts requires the Reticulan Elder, which is only on Mechtoid missions.  But I stunned all of them.  Cattle Prods worked better than any guns I had at the time with that armor.

Because I like to provide solutions when I see stuff, here's a few candidates:
1)  Add the reticulan missions back into giftsOfBlood_SwayRets (you probably want to remove the limitation on Family Ties there, too, else the same problem will crop up if you research C:R and FT prior to getting your corpse, and currently I can't see any "giftsOfBlood" that is active in that case).
2)  Remove the corpse requirement from Reticulan Power Systems (not great from a flavor perspective)
3)  Create a 0-cost Mechtoid tech that's unlocked by live or dead Mechtoid research, use that as the dependency into Power Systems instead
4)  Move the Reticulan Files manufacturing back to Contacts: Reticulans - you already have to get the live-captured Elder to get that anyway, so it probably wouldn't hurt.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 08:31:39 pm by kikanaide »