aliens

Author Topic: Bugs & Crash Reports  (Read 1435203 times)

Offline Morrandir

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs & Crash Reports
« Reply #1425 on: February 21, 2017, 05:19:48 pm »
No, honestly, it makes as little sense as possible. Have you seen these things? They are as tall as you are, and you can't keep the arrow ready for more than a few seconds - maybe fifteen, if you are profoundly trained. And the gals' bows are probably scaled for their strength. Even if the combat bow is not a longbow, it doesn't really change much.

Right, I hear you man – longbows are pretty hefty. But the way I think of reaction fire is that instead of doing your action actively, you stop (or walk/do stuff slower) and wait/give yourself more time to react. Consider this completely, utterly, totally fictitious situation that definitely never happened ( :'( ).

My archer gal with her brand new combat bow sees one of them pesky chupacabras in a distance. She could actively shoot, or – since we're doing reaction training here (d'uh) – she could just stand her ground and shoot the sorry bugger when it decides to move. Just like her pistol-equipped gal pals. The chupacabra smells some tasty uber blood, shrieks in glee and starts running like a mother***** on steroids right at me gal. But no worries, Cap'n, she's no swabbie, she'll put and end to it soon enough! But what is this, suddenly my gal is overpowered by the weight of the bow – look at the size of that thing! She puts all her might to lifting and drawing the bow, but to no avail, and as in her last act of pure desperation she tries to pick up an arrow with which to stab the raving little imp, the hell-spawn pounces ravenously at her, fangs and talons gleaming in anticipation. "Goodness me, how many time units do these creatures have?!", I think in horror as my gal is unceremoniously ripped to little pieces of mutant meat in front of all the useless swabbies that are in panic shooting at the foliage and each others' backs. And then it dawns on me: if only she had taken a slightly smaller bow with her! ;)

Hunting bows on the other hand are considerable weaker. While reaction firing from them is still a bit of a stretch, it is justified by game balance and not really that absurd.

So yeah, absurd or not, it would at least be nice to have some kind of warning on this in the bootypedia. I'm with you on the balance issue, though. It's also a nice trade-off between a more powerful weapon to use from a distance and a smaller, more portable, reaction-fire-capable weapon.

TL;DR OK no bug then! ;D

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1426 on: February 21, 2017, 05:26:26 pm »
TL;DR OK no bug then! ;D

Yep, bottom line: Only Snap Shot mode is used in Reaction firing. 

The weapons in PirateZ are balanced with that in mind.  Want to train throwing and reactions? Hunting Bow, Ninja Stars, Fuso Knives.  Want something that packs more punch than the Dinky Hunting Bow?  Combat Bow with Aqua Arrows, or Javelins, etc. 

That said, I love the Hunting Bow and Flame Arrows of the ability to plink over the airbus and deliver solid damage early on. :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1427 on: February 21, 2017, 05:49:04 pm »
Right, I hear you man – longbows are pretty hefty. But the way I think of reaction fire is that instead of doing your action actively, you stop (or walk/do stuff slower) and wait/give yourself more time to react. Consider this completely, utterly, totally fictitious situation that definitely never happened ( :'( ).

My archer gal with her brand new combat bow sees one of them pesky chupacabras in a distance. She could actively shoot, or – since we're doing reaction training here (d'uh) – she could just stand her ground and shoot the sorry bugger when it decides to move. Just like her pistol-equipped gal pals. The chupacabra smells some tasty uber blood, shrieks in glee and starts running like a mother***** on steroids right at me gal. But no worries, Cap'n, she's no swabbie, she'll put and end to it soon enough! But what is this, suddenly my gal is overpowered by the weight of the bow – look at the size of that thing! She puts all her might to lifting and drawing the bow, but to no avail, and as in her last act of pure desperation she tries to pick up an arrow with which to stab the raving little imp, the hell-spawn pounces ravenously at her, fangs and talons gleaming in anticipation. "Goodness me, how many time units do these creatures have?!", I think in horror as my gal is unceremoniously ripped to little pieces of mutant meat in front of all the useless swabbies that are in panic shooting at the foliage and each others' backs. And then it dawns on me: if only she had taken a slightly smaller bow with her! ;)

Hehe, it reminds me of my old GM, who used to say during combat: "Now it's going to be played as an RTS, but in turns". These are the problems with accurate representation of simultaneous actions in any turn-based game. Some games go far trying to mend these holes (like Jagged Alliance 2 and its system of variable starting TUs), but they'll never go away.

Luckily we also have games like UFO: Aftershock, or even X-Com Apocalypse, with their active pause system. It's good to switch to them sometimes.

So yeah, absurd or not, it would at least be nice to have some kind of warning on this in the bootypedia. I'm with you on the balance issue, though. It's also a nice trade-off between a more powerful weapon to use from a distance and a smaller, more portable, reaction-fire-capable weapon.

Not sure what the warning would be, since the big bow obviously doesn't have snap shots, so can't be used for reactions... Like Ivan said.

That said, I love the Hunting Bow and Flame Arrows of the ability to plink over the airbus and deliver solid damage early on. :)

Yes, Flame Arrows are a bit of a Do Everything Arrows. :)

Offline bluberd

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: February 22, 2017, 08:35:33 pm »
Gents,

In version .99F1 quick search bar is missing, also from the options where you enable it. I double checked with pure distro version, without any of my old config files or saves, still no quick search bar.
There is option for it in the config file, but does not appear in the actual game.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: February 22, 2017, 08:40:31 pm »
Have you tried pressing "q"?  That's the key to bring up the search when it's hidden.

Offline lancev

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: February 22, 2017, 08:57:21 pm »
Is it intended that the new slave soldier cannot learn voodoo?
They are in the voodoo school for 2 month now, but apparently no progress. So I checked the save file, and what happens is, that for normal gals the voodoo skill jumps from -1 (=UNKNOWN Power) to some random positive value, but for the slave soldier it goes from -1 to 0 and the next day to a random negative number as usual.
Would be a pity, since as humans they should be good at it. On the other hand it's to dangerous maybe.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1431 on: February 23, 2017, 03:51:46 am »
Yeah there was a bug in their stat sets. Fixed (hopefully).

Offline lancev

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: February 24, 2017, 02:38:52 am »
Yeah there was a bug in their stat sets. Fixed (hopefully).

Yes, after fooling around with the ruleset a bit it seems that the maxStats for psiSkill needs to be larger than 0.

Another thing, not a bug, but are the Silver Towers really supposed to have such a high shield regeneration rate? Not sure whether it is at all possible to down this ship with in-game methods. Maybe with 4 Sabres with 2 Tesla Cannnons each.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1433 on: February 24, 2017, 11:19:59 am »
Another thing, not a bug, but are the Silver Towers really supposed to have such a high shield regeneration rate?

Yes.

Offline Marza

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: February 24, 2017, 02:36:55 pm »
The 'Railguns Construction' technology depends on 'Gauss Defences', which breaks that part of the tech tree.

In previous versions, the specific research chain i'm looking at starts with Railguns Construction, which unlocked Craft Railgun, which in turn unlocked Gauss Defences.

Offline bluberd

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: February 24, 2017, 05:25:49 pm »
Have you tried pressing "q"?  That's the key to bring up the search when it's hidden.

yay, works, thank you :)

Offline sectopod

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: February 28, 2017, 10:10:33 pm »
"Guerrilla Gear" can be researched without the research on "Camouflage" concept finished first. Though in the description of guerrilla gear is a reference to the camouflage concept.

"This combat outfit utilizes the newly discovered camouflage concept, as well as Kevlar weave .... "

Researching guerrilla gear became available after the research on "Kevlar Armor Parts" only. But I think you intended both being necessary.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:34:41 am by sectopod »

Offline xaphias

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: March 01, 2017, 01:56:03 am »
oops, bug already reported.

love the stuff you're doing! :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 02:01:53 am by xaphias »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: March 02, 2017, 05:13:22 pm »
Merc Hover tanks are stunable with impalers but yield no research item. In fact the yield no items at regardless of method destruction.

UPDATE: In addition "Bane of commendation X" for werewolves Appears as STR_werewolves.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:03:54 pm by legionof1 »

Offline Scorrpio

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: March 03, 2017, 05:41:44 pm »
I noticed that in 99f1 you can't build Stills.  Ruleset has Still facility requiring STR_STILL research, but there is no such research.  I changed requirement to STR_INSPECT_MACHINERY, but I figure a fix is needed in the download snapshot.
-Cheers.