aliens

Author Topic: Bugs & Crash Reports  (Read 1434558 times)

Offline juff

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs & Crash Reports
« Reply #1335 on: December 30, 2016, 01:41:26 pm »
OK, that's better :)
I have never seen it though, if you (or anyone) would have a save for it, that would help me find the cause.

EDIT: Btw. it's a bug that you can't heal mind-controlled enemies, I will fix that.

Loading always fixes the problem, so I've got no saves for it.

Also, I just got the power mace and had a rude surprise when a cyberdisc exploded after being hit by it. I was under the impression that they don't explode when killed by melee weapons.

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: December 30, 2016, 03:01:40 pm »
They don't explode when stunned. The weapon type has nothing to do with it.

Offline Kharim

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: December 30, 2016, 04:34:19 pm »
Here is the mentioned save file.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: December 30, 2016, 04:43:52 pm »
Also, I just got the power mace and had a rude surprise when a cyberdisc exploded after being hit by it. I was under the impression that they don't explode when killed by melee weapons.

It's not melee weapon, but melee attack/type.
You have probably used the ranged snap attack of the power mace... that's why it exploded.

EDIT: If you would use the melee "swing" attack, it would not explode. Power mace doesn't have melee attack, but plasma attack, so it would explode even with "swing" action.

They don't explode when stunned. The weapon type has nothing to do with it.

That's not true.
It doesn't depend on stun, depends on the type of attack... melee attack for example with a Bardiche, will not trigger the explosion.
See attached.

EDIT: along with melee type and stun type, also HE type and Incendiary type don't trigger the explosion by default
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 09:24:31 pm by Meridian »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1339 on: December 30, 2016, 05:14:11 pm »
Afaik they don't explode if hit by Fire, HE, Stun or Melee damage, possibly also Chem. They explode from AP, Laser and Plasma (which is the type of damage Power Mace is using).

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: December 30, 2016, 05:38:41 pm »
Here is the mentioned save file.

Well, that's a rather nasty bug.

There's a dying reaper (see attached), which dies when turn ends... and the game tries to convert it to corpse... but in the process it checks some tiles outside of map boundaries, where it fails on null pointer exception.

I don't know what it is, could be:
- a bug in oxce, yankes has been doing some changes there recently
- a wrong merge
- an incomplete merge (I noticed vanilla has some more conditions around calling this function than oxce)
- a bug in vanilla

I'll report to Yankes, he'll probably deal with it better than I can.

I also don't know how to avoid this bug in your save... killing all enemies in debug mode won't help either.
If you have an earlier save... try reloading... and don't kill a reaper if it's at the map border... wait until it is at least one tile away from border.

EDIT: my feeling is that lastPosition of the reaper should not be [59,24,0] but [58,23,0]... someone who knows more should confirm tho
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:07:44 pm by Meridian »

Offline Kharim

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: December 30, 2016, 05:44:52 pm »
Thanks, gonna reload whole mission. Catching those reapers alive was one of my main objectives, I didn't suppose any of them was wounded and is gonna die. Is there any in game possibility to check the status of stunned big enemy, a corpse left behind perhaps?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: December 30, 2016, 05:51:57 pm »
Thanks, gonna reload whole mission. Catching those reapers alive was one of my main objectives, I didn't suppose any of them was wounded and is gonna die. Is there any in game possibility to check the status of stunned big enemy, a corpse left behind perhaps?

In the next version of piratez, they will have a "burning" indicator over them when they are on fire (and thus dying)... something similar to that you already see in my screenshot... just a bit nicer I guess :)

Offline Kharim

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: December 30, 2016, 10:39:43 pm »
Oh that would be usefull- you can tell when enemy is burning as long as unit is not stunned. I thought smoke would extinguish fire but apparently it didn't.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: December 31, 2016, 03:44:47 am »
Well, that's a rather nasty bug.

There's a dying reaper (see attached), which dies when turn ends... and the game tries to convert it to corpse... but in the process it checks some tiles outside of map boundaries, where it fails on null pointer exception.

That sounds an awful lot similar to a crash when a player tank died on the south-west boundary of a map, reported by hellrazor for OXC some months ago. It was supposed to be fixed by commit: fa60079
If i remember correctly the most important part was:
Code: [Select]
+ if (_unit == _parent->getSave()->getSelectedUnit())
+ {
+ _parent->getSave()->setSelectedUnit(0);
+ }
Without that piece of code any tile of the tank can serve as the starting point for the conversion to corpse process. While the conversion assumes the starting point is always the northernmost tile.

Perhaps something similar is needed for enemy units.

Offline juff

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: December 31, 2016, 04:54:58 am »
Afaik they don't explode if hit by Fire, HE, Stun or Melee damage, possibly also Chem. They explode from AP, Laser and Plasma (which is the type of damage Power Mace is using).
sorry to go off topic, but is it possible to stun cyberdiscs? the existence of their disassembly project implies it's possible, but they are immune to stun and special damage, and the cattle prod doesn't seem to work.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: December 31, 2016, 01:07:50 pm »
That sounds an awful lot similar to a crash when a player tank died on the south-west boundary of a map, reported by hellrazor for OXC some months ago. It was supposed to be fixed by commit: fa60079
If i remember correctly the most important part was:
Code: [Select]
+ if (_unit == _parent->getSave()->getSelectedUnit())
+ {
+ _parent->getSave()->setSelectedUnit(0);
+ }
Without that piece of code any tile of the tank can serve as the starting point for the conversion to corpse process. While the conversion assumes the starting point is always the northernmost tile.

Perhaps something similar is needed for enemy units.
Thanks for highlighting that even if your example is wrong :D
Correct part of fix is this: https://github.com/Yankes/OpenXcom/commit/fa60079#diff-1e581343c616eb33e909ae1fd9c3bd85R327
I tried yesterday find way to reproduce this bug without any success, game crash but this is because save is "corrupted". Bug happened before save, current reaper position is incorrect.
3.3 still have this bug, 3.5 have this fix from Warboy and I tried find bug in that version :)

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: December 31, 2016, 11:14:20 pm »
Almost forgot this one!

Weird house in which one can go up the ladder but not down in a Red Light Villa. Gals get trapped there if they can destruct their way out. Twice in fact. Weird.

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: January 01, 2017, 01:42:47 am »
I've got a grenade apparently stuck inside a wall. It doesn't _look_ like its inside the wall, but it has landed 1 level below where I'm able to stand; and when I drop other items on that square they land normally (ie. other items land on the level that I can stand on and thus pick up, but I cannot pick up this grenade).

I'm not sure that this one definitely a bug. Maybe it's "normal"... but it is a bit weird and annoying.

By the way, the grenade was thrown by "Twitchy Bastard", from right next where it got stuck.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: January 01, 2017, 02:22:01 pm »
I'm not sure that this one definitely a bug. Maybe it's "normal"... but it is a bit weird and annoying.

I think it's caused by the "could not throw there fix" for "always missed with a bow fix".

I've seen an alternative fix for missing with a bow by Volutar somewhere... I'll have a look if it can be merged and if it replaces the two fixes above.