aliens

Author Topic: Bugs & Crash Reports  (Read 1434218 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs & Crash Reports
« Reply #1275 on: December 12, 2016, 01:20:41 pm »
hi there,
After starting a new game and stunning what seems a civilian pilot. the game crashes (the guy near the gal in pirate outfit).
Log and savegame attached.

The piratez_crowbar mod crashes on missing sound.

Code: [Select]
items:
  - type: STR_CROWBAR
    meleeHitSound: 79 # <----- missing

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1276 on: December 12, 2016, 02:24:44 pm »
Hmm, apparently the Crowbar needs its own sound definition, even though Piratez is the master mod. This is surprising.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: December 12, 2016, 02:40:35 pm »
Hmm, apparently the Crowbar needs its own sound definition, even though Piratez is the master mod. This is surprising.

Why is this surprising?
It works the same way as all other file-based resources (sprites, sounds, ...).
Vanilla BATTLE.CAT values go up to 55... everything else is mods content and starts at 1000 (e.g. in piratez 79 translates to 1079, in crowbar mod (depending on its position) 79 translates let's say to 6079).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: December 12, 2016, 02:51:21 pm »
Why is this surprising?

Because you don't have to do that for vanilla sounds.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: December 12, 2016, 02:54:22 pm »
That's how it always was.

Mods can use & override vanilla (vanilla != master) file-based resources... but mods cannot share file-based resources between each other, nor override other mod's resources directly (except for music files, since these are not technically vanilla)... unless you go over 1000 (or x000 in oxce) or below 0, in which case you're asking for trouble :)

EDIT: and piratez isn't even a master anyway... it's a servant mod of xcom1 master
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 03:03:33 pm by Meridian »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: December 12, 2016, 03:22:41 pm »
EDIT: and piratez isn't even a master anyway... it's a servant mod of xcom1 master

Yes, and that's the whole point. :) I thought it had the same status as vanilla X-Com, and apparently I was very wrong.

BTW: can you even make a reference to a file in a different mod?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: December 12, 2016, 03:26:21 pm »
Do the file definitions in the ruleset support using ".." to mean up one directory?  You could try using that, i.e. ../Piratez/Resources/Sounds/path/to/the/sound/you/want

Offline Vesparco

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: December 12, 2016, 06:25:19 pm »
The piratez_crowbar mod crashes on missing sound.

Good to know, I may disable it as there's plenty of other options to stun people.

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #1283 on: December 12, 2016, 09:14:29 pm »
Do the file definitions in the ruleset support using ".." to mean up one directory?  You could try using that, i.e. ../Piratez/Resources/Sounds/path/to/the/sound/you/want

I don't remember if this could even work code-wise, but in any case this is a nightmare from the mod maintenance/debugging side and a thing one just doesn't do. Please leave the mods dependencies explicit.

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: December 14, 2016, 12:28:46 pm »
When selling stuff at the end of a mission, items which are automatically selected to sell are not counted by the change-in-space-used calculation. And if you choose to keep them rather than sell them, the space used shows an increase rather than a decrease.

(This would be ok if the total space used wasn't including the auto-sell items; but that isn't the case.)

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #1285 on: December 15, 2016, 01:56:25 am »
When selling stuff at the end of a mission, items which are automatically selected to sell are not counted by the change-in-space-used calculation. And if you choose to keep them rather than sell them, the space used shows an increase rather than a decrease.

(This would be ok if the total space used wasn't including the auto-sell items; but that isn't the case.)

This one-liner fixes it:

Code: [Select]
diff --git a/src/Basescape/SellState.cpp b/src/Basescape/SellState.cpp
index c2effc9..e62eebe 100644
--- a/src/Basescape/SellState.cpp
+++ b/src/Basescape/SellState.cpp
@@ -240,6 +240,7 @@ SellState::SellState(Base *base, DebriefingState *debriefingState, OptionsOrigin
                        {
                                row.amount = qty;
                                _total += row.cost * qty;
+                               _spaceChange -= qty * rule->getSize();
                        }
                        _items.push_back(row);
                        std::string cat = getCategory(_items.size() - 1);

sorry no pull request, i'm in the middle of revamping my git repoes.

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: December 16, 2016, 05:53:31 am »
Looks good, Stoddard. :)

--

I have another bug to report, but unfortunately I don't have a lot of information. All I can say is that the a cat girl dropped on top of one of my soldiers who was flying; the soldier was pushed to the side and the game crashed when the cat girl hit the ground. I have a screenshot of what it looked like after the crash; but unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce the situation. Note that my soldier was originally positioned directly above where the cat girl is, but was pushed aside as she fell.

Offline CaptainCorkscrew

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play: XPiratez
« Reply #1287 on: December 16, 2016, 08:57:50 am »
I am a bit confused as to who dropped on whom.

I know there is such a  mechanic in the game, but I guess it is very rarely used. It happened to me once in XCOM with OXCE+ 3.3 that en enemy dropped on one of my soldiers, knocking him aside and unconscious. No crash though, so it my be cat girl or XPiratez related somehow.

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: December 16, 2016, 10:31:28 am »
I have another bug to report, but unfortunately I don't have a lot of information. All I can say is that the a cat girl dropped on top of one of my soldiers who was flying; the soldier was pushed to the side and the game crashed when the cat girl hit the ground. I have a screenshot of what it looked like after the crash; but unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce the situation. Note that my soldier was originally positioned directly above where the cat girl is, but was pushed aside as she fell.

The good old Gomba-Stomp. It happens sometimes, however I think the problem is your gal was flying.

What I think happend is that the gomba-stomp is supposed to knock your gal into a random nearby tile, knocked out, but troops since can't be both flying and knocked out, it caused the game to crash.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 10:33:07 am by Roxis231 »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: December 16, 2016, 11:08:47 am »

I have managed to reproduce goomba-stomping, even on the exactly same place as you, but my game didn't crash.
Also, I tried about 10x and my girl was never pushed... always just knocked unconscious.
There is a save attached... just load and click on end turn a few times... eventually a green catgirl should goomba-stomp one of your two girls... let me know if it crashes for you.

EDIT: ok, I could reproduce the crash on earlier version (OXCE 3.3+)... should be fixed in 3.5+ tho

EDIT2: the fix: https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/commit/e489d5d44ab7c402c55ddfbb4b06c86307050c10
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 11:36:33 am by Meridian »