aliens

Author Topic: Bugs & Crash Reports  (Read 1434098 times)

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs & Crash Reports
« Reply #1215 on: November 24, 2016, 10:37:04 pm »
I have another round of fiddly nitpicks.

- Ghoul Scientist: "The 'Scientist'" should be "The 'Scientists'", "abhorring" should be "abhorrent".
- Imp Demon: "with seemingly" should be "with a seemingly".
- Possessed Sarge: "arguing to be" should be "arguing that to be", "had clearly female" should be "had a clearly female".
- Auto-Ax: "Yet another proof" is fine per se, but the next sentence treats "proof" as an uncountable noun so "Yet more proof" is a better fit.
- Light Craft Weapons: ""and better stock" should be "and you'd better stock".
- #062: "Eyes can deceive you" should be "Your eyes can deceive you".
- Church Warmaiden: "called Maidens" should be "called the Maidens", "of Church's" should be "of the Church's", "Maiden's training" should be "The Maiden's training", "Maids" should be "Maidens", "of all Church's" should be "of all Church" (given space constraints).
- Gnome Tome #*: All commas between "type of gnome" and "who" should be removed.
- Gnome Tome #6: "she choose" should be "she chose".
- Test Flight: "crafts" should be "craft".
- Ancient Log AC06-B5: Felt the need to edit this a little for readability:
      STR_HISTORY_010_UFOPEDIA: "After Earth was flooded with alien artifacts, given to governments by the Star Gods or left after the Majestic 12 were dissolved, a vibrant black market for these goods soon emerged. This was initially a vast, global network of ruthless individuals who knew where to get the alien stuff and how to sell it well. This network was an arena of struggle between several criminal cartels, and the last one standing was known as Osiron. Thus, Osiron became the biggest player on the alien artifact market, both clandestine and legitimate. Then at some point they were approached by the Star Gods themselves, who offered them a deal: Osiron would stop trading psi tech, and the Star Gods would express gratitude with a steady supply of their devices. Moreover, Osiron would hold the exclusive right to develop psionic abilities, as well as manage wild psions by training or eliminating them. Osiron agreed and the Psi Academy was opened.{NEWLINE}Over time Osiron invested more and more in the Psi Academy, which eventually gained so much power that it gradually overgrew Osiron. The Academy by this point was ruled by an order of female Espers who spoke for themselves, while Osiron survived as their subordinate order."
- Catgirl: "Smuggler's" should be "Smugglers'", "scratching-proof" works better as "scratch-proof".
- Swimsuit (Sea): "out all" should be "of all"
- The Solar Governor: "get hold on all the passes" should be "get hold of all of the passes".
- Basic Engineering: "knowledge how" should be "knowledge on how".
- Dark Ones Summary: Suggest rephrasing of "I've ordered butchering of its fresh corpse" as "I had its fresh corpse butchered".
- Marsec Operative: "Trade Guild's military department, the" should be "The Trade Guild's military department,".
- Humongous Raider: "the Raider parties" works better as simply "Raider parties". Also, the last comma is best removed.
- Master's Cane: As "60% = Mastery*0.012" makes no sense, I suspect that should be a +.
- Better Tranquilizers: "given our knowledge" should be "given us knowledge".
- Marsec: "Under Star Gods'" should be "Under the Star Gods'", "an authority" should be "the authority", "protect Guild's" should be "protect the Guild's"
- Zero-G Missions: "the orbit" should be simply "orbit". Suggest rephrasing "there's the least interference with our Cloaking Devices" as "that's where our Cloaking Devices suffer the least interference". Also, this article is too long, the last sentence is not readable.

The following strings are fairly visible when inspecting items with middle-click, but have no translation. Suggest:
      STR_DIRECT_DEPENDENCIES: "Dependencies"
      STR_LEVEL_2_DEPENDENCIES: "Secondary Dependencies"
      STR_LEVEL_3_DEPENDENCIES: "Tertiary Dependencies"
      STR_LEVEL_4_DEPENDENCIES: "Quaternary Dependencies"
      STR_END_OF_SEARCH: ""
- Sniper Armor: It seems inconsistent to refer to negative "encumb" here while everywhere else this concept is treated as positive "carrying capacity". Suggest changing it to "+7 Carrying Capacity".
- Sniper Rifle PS clip manufacturing title is incorrect; it claims 12x5 but each clip only holds 10 rounds.
- It seems odd that the WP mortar shell has a blast radius of only 2 tiles while the WP grenade has a radius of 3.
- There's an issue with the stairway leading to the roof on the mall map tile; the roof extends over the upper-most tile of the stairway.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1216 on: November 25, 2016, 01:13:53 am »
Fucking christ, it's the damn power armor parts isnt it. Which you do NOT get from researching live marsec bodyguards. That means i lost 5 gals in live captures, too actually hinder my own progress....fucking hell.

It pays off to capture them alive... to rob/enslave them for extras in addition to these parts. However I might add the power armor parts as one of things they talk about.

@BTAxis: nitpicks are fine, I don't give many fucks about English grammar anyway,  but please upgrade to the damned latest version before nitpicking, since some of these are false alarms, like these missing strings, which is wasted time for the both of us.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 01:27:50 am by Dioxine »

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: November 25, 2016, 01:33:59 am »
The culprit is the RMP files... one example is DESERT13.RMP.

I'll add some checks and logging to report such problems and prevent crashes.

Perhaps you're lucky, the latest merge on 3.5+proto (18 nov) included some nighly fixes in that department
sha's: 3e64d7d ; 4f40084 ; 12f1212 ; 0731b64 and 98400bb

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1218 on: November 25, 2016, 01:57:48 am »
These fixes aren't 100% dependable. The map has been repaired anyway.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: November 25, 2016, 04:53:49 am »
I would agree putting power armor parts in the Marsec BG get one list. Given the relative importance of school graduation prerequisites missing out on one because your successful at capture on low frequency target feels janky. Now that i know what happened i find i could have shaved 8 months off my tech progression by sucking at tactical combat.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: November 25, 2016, 05:31:46 am »
If only interrogating live subjects gave you the loot that you'd get from killing them so you can research/use that too. Oh... wait...  ::)

Generally, it's not really worth the trouble to capture those guys. You can get most of what they tell you from other people and what they really matter for (at least for a good part of the game) is the power armor parts they give. The removal of the "gain body item from interrogation" might have been nice for things like not getting cultist bodies when interrogating humans in XComFiles, but for stuff like this it doesn't really work.

Boss brainer should be like: I don't care what you've got to say now. Strip naked, then maybe we can talk  ;)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: November 25, 2016, 09:27:52 am »
Perhaps you're lucky, the latest merge on 3.5+proto (18 nov) included some nighly fixes in that department
sha's: 3e64d7d ; 4f40084 ; 12f1212 ; 0731b64 and 98400bb

I have tested/debugged on 3.5 actually.
The z level checks are not sufficient.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: November 26, 2016, 12:55:01 am »
Found some more buggy terrain with no Tu cost to move across.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: November 26, 2016, 01:43:21 am »
I have tested/debugged on 3.5 actually.
The z level checks are not sufficient.

Oh .. ok. Too bad it wasn't that easy.
Is it due to some changes in extended or do you consider it a 'bug' in regular OXC?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: November 26, 2016, 08:13:45 am »
Oh .. ok. Too bad it wasn't that easy.
Is it due to some changes in extended or do you consider it a 'bug' in regular OXC?

Also in OXC. Warboy fixed it yesterday.

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: November 27, 2016, 09:08:05 pm »
More bits and bobs.

- Armored Church Beastmaster: "revealing pretty much unharmed" should be "revealing a pretty much unharmed".
- Reticulan Fusion Reactor: "get good market price" should be "get a good market price".
- Church Beastmaster: "who tends" should be "that tends", "idea on what" should be "idea of what", "wrong in the heads" should be "wrong in the head".
- Govt Enforcer: "of Trader's security" should be "of the Trader's security".
- Interstellar Travel: "limited number of vessels are" should be "limited number of vessels is". "otherwise" works better as "other means".
- Strange Message (1): "coincidence the base" is okay as is, but works better as "coincidence that the base", to fit the rest of the article. "Why nobody knows" should be "Why does nobody know".
- Coral X-Bow: "complex mechanism" should be "complex mechanisms".
- The Deep Ones: "have risen" should be "rose".
- Cyberdisc Examination: "is Star Gods'" should be "is the Star Gods'".
- Chucrch Zealot: "The Church" should be "the Church".
- Sectogre: "mammal's" should be "mammals'". Suggest changing "These are used" to "They are used" to avoid the suggestion that it is the creature's "equipment" that is used. "a very good protection" should be "very good protection".
- Spartan Scout: suggest changing "being" to "they are".
- Self-Charging Laspistol: "to hideout's" should be "to the hideout's".
- Hellerium Batteries: "such arrangement" should be "such an arrangement".
- Heavy Gunship: "in air" should be "in the air". Suggest rephrasing "Its sight means business" as "Its presence tells you the faction means business".
- Warship Hull: "gives them both" should be simply "gives them", "planet's" should be "the planet's" (alternatively "a planet's), "the amount" works better as "an amount".
- #002: "TU's" should be "TUs".
- Ancient Log UAC7-X1: "of Star Gods" should be "of the Star Gods", "Stellar Empire" should be "the Stellar Empire", "swan's song" should be "swan song", "in the earnest" should be "in earnest".
- Space Rangers' Law Pistol: Suggest changing "their military" to "Imperial military".
- Ancient Log 506A-22: "since early 1900s" should be "since the early 1900s", "that planet's" should be "that the planet's", "can fight" should be "could fight", "Stellar Empire's" should be "the Stellar Empire's".
- #005: "to you hand" should be "to your hand".

- AUX_SENTRY_CLUSTER_MISSILE does not have a translation (appears in the hit log)
- "D-A: Laser Rifle" should probably be "D-A: Lasgun", since the item is called Lasgun.
- Ditto "D-A: Laser Pistol" (Laspistol).
- Ditto "E: Cash Bag" (Bag of Cash).
- "E: Kevlar Mesh" doesn't follow the naming scheme. The Kevlar Mesh is the product, not the requirement. It should be named "E: Kevlar Armor Parts".
- *Stop Targeting Civilian Traffic* is in the Mysteries section while all other mission research (so far) is in Lore. Not sure if this is a problem.

- When using a Sentry Gun with the Fortuna craft, the sentry gun blocks the item stash. Perhaps the stash could be moved back a couple of tiles?
- Perhaps the Fortuna could have a ladder leading down from the egress hatch in the bottom so Hands without flying armor can get back inside if a Sentry Gun is blocking the main bay hatch.

Offline CaptainCorkscrew

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play: XPiratez
« Reply #1226 on: November 28, 2016, 09:01:54 am »
Regarding names: I found it very confusing for a while that the traders guild is named very inconsistently. Half the time it is abbreviated to guild, the other half with Trader or Trd. It took me quite a while to figure out that the traders and the guild are one and the same. I would suggest to make it consistent, one way or the other.

I also noticed that Meridian in his LP had the stash in the back of his craft, in what is probably the sickbay. Mine is at the door. There are benefits to having it right at the open door, but in Siberia it posed a problem.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1227 on: November 28, 2016, 09:20:55 am »
It's the Traders' Guild, d'oh.

As for the stash position, it was a bug. The code for bonaventura variants was written before the stash location was changeable. Now it was moved to the proper place.

Offline CaptainCorkscrew

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play: XPiratez
« Reply #1228 on: November 28, 2016, 12:11:14 pm »
I know that now, but who says it's the only guild? Maybe there's something called just 'The Guild', maybe there's a Mercenary's Guild, A seamstresses Guild, whatever.
Seeing trader in some places and guild in others is confusing until one realizes that guild always means traders.

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: November 28, 2016, 12:31:48 pm »
I know that now, but who says it's the only guild? Maybe there's something called just 'The Guild', maybe there's a Mercenary's Guild, A seamstresses Guild, whatever.
Seeing trader in some places and guild in others is confusing until one realizes that guild always means traders.

AFAIK, there is a seamstresses' guild.