Author Topic: Bugs & Crash Reports  (Read 1433643 times)

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs & Crash Reports
« Reply #3960 on: May 31, 2021, 07:07:05 pm »
The gate looks there to me. It's the same as the other identical enclosure next to it, the gate is the spot on the west side, yes? The spider could just head out the gate. It apparently chose not to, and that's why it is now a flaming corpse.

Nice shooting, BTW. You managed to somehow set just the spider on fire without setting anything else on fire.

As for how intended it is, well, it's a very random mapgen, and sometimes accessibility of areas can be rather impaired. ONE spider unable to zerg you probably isn't a big deal. Not that I've ever encountered monster hunts where enemies swarm effectively. They tend to just get confused and mill around in aimless circles going nowhere in particular.
Actually there were two spiders stuck, I just took a screenshot of the alive second one. The first I used flaming arrows on. I was unable to directly reach the position directly adjacent to the spider, meaning I couldn't squeeze between the barrels for whatever reason.

As for getting swarmed, it can happen depending on where craft is in relationship to most the monsters. They usually behave a bit smarter if you're out in the open as well.

Offline username

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: May 31, 2021, 10:43:02 pm »
As for getting swarmed, it can happen depending on where craft is in relationship to most the monsters. They usually behave a bit smarter if you're out in the open as well.
I dunno, I've seen them do some pretty perplexing things...well, the AI in general often does some perplexing things, vacillating seemingly randomly between curiously derpy and psychic. Sometimes they, despite clearly being able to see me, run derpily in random directions, other times they psychically zoom in despite having no reason to have seen me (and I checked in the save, they hadn't).

And I'm not sure it counts as them behaving smarter if you're behaving dumber. Standing in the open in X-Com = instant defeat. If you don't end your turn with 0 enemy contacts, you've already lost.

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: June 01, 2021, 02:17:52 pm »

And I'm not sure it counts as them behaving smarter if you're behaving dumber. Standing in the open in X-Com = instant defeat. If you don't end your turn with 0 enemy contacts, you've already lost.

I don't mean literally out in the open but at least if you venture from your craft there's a fair shot of being ambushed. And with the amount of enemies you sometimes get in monster hunt, getting 0 enemy contacts can be rather difficult.

Offline username

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: June 01, 2021, 09:18:20 pm »
Yeah, fortunately, monsters don't have ranged attacks, unlike stock X-Com enemies, so it's much more manageable. Be sure to prioritize the ones that can actually reach you. And shoot them from the roof.

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: June 01, 2021, 10:01:00 pm »
Roof? If you have a vehicle where you can get onto the roof or have things like grav harnesses, of course monster hunts are no longer a challenge (minus maybe the times you get hunters). I'm talking first couple months monster hunts.

Offline username

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: June 02, 2021, 05:17:10 pm »
You get monster hunts in the first couple of months? Usually I have more important things on my research roster than unlocking those, whereas raiders can show up at any time, which gives you your first Grav Harnesses.

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: June 02, 2021, 07:20:21 pm »
I go for them early for a potential source of Chitin Plates that doesn't take a million manufacturing hours for a mere chance (cave hunt). Also is a back-up source of animal poison in case I don't get the event or want more.

After the first like 4 months or so hunters have a chance of appearing, so I want to get to it before then.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 07:23:35 pm by MemoryTAS »

Offline username

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: June 02, 2021, 09:16:32 pm »
Is there something amazing that you do with chitin plates? I always end up with a pile of them and there doesn't seem to be a lot you can do with them.

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: June 02, 2021, 09:23:00 pm »
Scale Mail is a good armor for early game and Slayer is a decent option for Lokks especially in Ratmen caves where they could easily be one shot otherwise. Late game there's barely any usage for them.

Offline username

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: June 02, 2021, 11:02:13 pm »
I don't think I've ever used either of them. They have TU and energy penalties and their resistance is not high enough to resist penetration by anything, so in my view, they're basically useless and actively impede your survival through TU/Energy penalties. Until you get armor that is impenetrable by the bulk of what enemies are using, the only useful defense is to hard break contact, otherwise you're dead.

At least that's how it is on JS, because enemies never miss there.

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: June 03, 2021, 01:23:48 am »
I play on the middle difficulty and disagree with your assertions but I think this is getting a bit off topic.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: June 03, 2021, 05:45:47 am »
Snip
At least that's how it is on JS, because enemies never miss there.

Well that a JS problem. JS is very all or nothing. More balanced difficulties having middling improvements to armor is good, because your top exp gals are not magically inferior to some security chump.

Offline username

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: June 03, 2021, 12:53:04 pm »
Well that a JS problem. JS is very all or nothing.
Yes, and anything which works there works anywhere, even if it does sort of enforce a hard absolutist attitude towards everything because you can no longer afford weasel-words. It cuts out all the wishy-washyness. It's either amazing or it's worthless trash.

I'm not sure how that would affect armor, though. As far as I know, JS doesn't change how damage and arpen work, so a weapon that pens 30 armor still pens 30 armor on Easy.

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: June 03, 2021, 02:46:47 pm »
Cutting is a good damage type to resist early game, especially with the recent changes that allow for reaction to melee attacks. Additionally, not every shot early game is super deadly, there's plenty of like pistols and stuff that deal fairly low damage and this helps resist them. While avoiding taking any damage is ideal, sometimes that's extremely difficult (some guy pops up from out of nowhere or something) and so armor can help provide safety.

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: June 14, 2021, 10:15:23 pm »
Same small error is logged every time HIDEOUTS screen is first opened:
[WARN]   Image Resources/CraftWeapons/Harpoons_Base.png (from lodepng) has incorrect transparent color index 255 (instead of 0).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 10:31:06 pm by Nilex »