Author Topic: Bugs & Crash Reports  (Read 1435129 times)

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
  • Just another player/modder combo.
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs & Crash Reports
« Reply #3555 on: April 15, 2020, 11:47:03 pm »
I was documenting the entire series of events, next time I report a crash I will diagnose the cause and report it here for (possible) fixing. In my first post I could easily have left out the segmentation fault part as I completely recognized that that was my doing. I just wanted to provide the entire sequence of events.

Offline Rubber Cannonball

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: April 16, 2020, 06:34:38 am »
For the following, refer to vadracas's screenshot image several posts above. 

There are a number of issues with those narrow (1 tile width) diagonal passages in the cave maps.  While tight squeeze passages certainly are common in underground cavern systems and thus they fit the ambiance of the cave maps, the game engine just doesn't handle the diagonal ones well.  I wonder if changing the diagonal path tiles and the filled tiles whose corners block line of sight through the passage such that a small gap appeared would be enough to resolve the problems with them.  If not, then is it a requirement to have traversable tiles edge connected instead of only corner connected to each other? (Ignoring changing level up or down for simplicity of discussion)

Offline sanyaskillpro

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: April 16, 2020, 11:54:22 pm »
cave maps are painful to play, i'd say in this case sacrifice realism for gameplay and remake caves into wide, more fantasy-like caves.

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: April 16, 2020, 11:58:07 pm »
But I like my narrow spaces...  :'(

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: April 17, 2020, 01:00:33 am »
cave maps are painful to play, i'd say in this case sacrifice realism for gameplay and remake caves into wide, more fantasy-like caves.

tbh the only problems I have with cave maps are the diagonals and how it can sometimes be difficult to find the last guy. Widening out the diagonals would probably help with the bug but also annoying line of sight issues where you can't see somebody standing a tile diagonally over. Your only ways to deal with that are waiting for them to move or using like a pickaxe or something, which could possibly take a number of turns to make any real progress anyways.

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: April 17, 2020, 01:25:09 am »
tbh the only problems I have with cave maps are the diagonals and how it can sometimes be difficult to find the last guy. Widening out the diagonals would probably help with the bug but also annoying line of sight issues where you can't see somebody standing a tile diagonally over. Your only ways to deal with that are waiting for them to move or using like a pickaxe or something, which could possibly take a number of turns to make any real progress anyways.

Before my never-ending end-turn bug, I had a bandit boss stationary blocking my way out of the diagonal space that I needed to pass through to save someone who was bleeding out. :(

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: April 17, 2020, 01:45:37 am »
Widening out the diagonals would probably help with the bug but also annoying line of sight issues where you can't see somebody standing a tile diagonally over. Your only ways to deal with that are waiting for them to move or using like a pickaxe or something, which could possibly take a number of turns to make any real progress anyways.

This is why in my previous post I was wondering if shaving off the occluding corners of the adjacent solid rock tiles would be sufficient while keeping the diagonal passage 1 tile wide.  Or if the diagonal passage would have to be widened by replacing some of the adjacent solid rock tiles with open tiles which would effectively widen the diagonal passage.

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: April 17, 2020, 02:08:12 am »
This is why in my previous post I was wondering if shaving off the occluding corners of the adjacent solid rock tiles would be sufficient while keeping the diagonal passage 1 tile wide.  Or if the diagonal passage would have to be widened by replacing some of the adjacent solid rock tiles with open tiles which would effectively widen the diagonal passage.

That should work...

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: April 17, 2020, 08:31:43 am »
It does solve the looping and occlusion, but then it's only a secret passage to the players perception. The UI for foe warning would still work and you could be attacked but the player wouldn't see shit.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: April 17, 2020, 07:51:44 pm »
I can live with them being somewhat of a pain to find.  But as they stand right now they are mostly a player exploit that the AI can't do much about.  As for the player not being able to see much in certain areas of the map, I guess I got used to that in the original Diablo game.  It is symptomatic in many fixed isometric view games.

Offline Nalca

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: April 18, 2020, 03:30:00 pm »
That town has a problem with it seaside. It should be on the border, not in the middle of the map.
The mission is a Mutant Culling with Eridians.

Offline Sahti Waari

• Sergeant
  • Так победим!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: April 21, 2020, 12:34:34 am »
Some sprites of gals with the boathook. An excess pixel in the corner. Please see the attachment.

By the way, how to insert images in reply?

And could anyone advise how to fix that by myself? What file need to be decompiled and by what program?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 01:01:41 am by Sahti Waari »

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: April 21, 2020, 01:22:35 am »
And could anyone advise how to fix that by myself? What file need to be decompiled and by what program?

Nothing needs to be decompiled :). What you need to do is look in the resources subfolder of the xpiratez mod and find, in that veritable hoard of images, the boathook image and edit that pixel out.

Offline Sahti Waari

• Sergeant
  • Так победим!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: April 21, 2020, 06:25:03 am »
Nothing needs to be decompiled :). What you need to do is look in the resources subfolder of the xpiratez mod and find, in that veritable hoard of images, the boathook image and edit that pixel out.

I found that the image of a hook itself is clear. The pixel is a part of a second picture. So the problem in the code. Please see the attachment.
The file is Bosak_H.png  ( ...\Dioxine_XPiratez\user\mods\Piratez\Resources )

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: April 21, 2020, 10:00:23 am »
So the problem in the code.

Code is correct.
Image is wrong.