aliens

Author Topic: [TOTAl CONVERSION] Mine G.M. - wip (just started)  (Read 8444 times)

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
[TOTAl CONVERSION] Mine G.M. - wip (just started)
« on: August 19, 2015, 10:00:17 am »
Hey guys. I started experimenting with openxcom again and I am slowly working my way towards a Total Conversion. Please bear with me. Might take some time.

I will be using OpenXCom Extended right off the bat. This is something I was meaning to do a while ago. OpenXCom extended is essentially Xcom3 engine and is perfect for what I need. And I will be using most of the things I made for OpenXcom like weapons and armor as well as unfinished things like the races I was working on.

If anyone has any extra sprites they are willing to donate  that would fit the theme I would be most grateful.

So what is the concept?

Well is kinda silly but I am really into it.

Spoiler:
Essentially is year 4 billion in the future. Sun has expanded so much that pretty much boiled  the oceans and killed everything living on the surface. Whatever is left alive has moved underground.  This includes the descendants of humans which are these multicoloured mutants.

Now this new semi-advanced humanoid mutant society  (good guys aka X-Com) has adapted to living underground and you could say is even prospering. They essentially are kinda like next level miners using subterrene (underground vehicles) called Drill Tanks to dig up new areas or find resources. Their whole shtick revolves around digging, caves, earthquakes, cave ins as well as chemistry and electricity.

All is well until these aliens (bad guys) landed on  the planet and appear to have started mining it unbeknownst of these humanoids living underground. Good guys got found out and these aliens don't play nice as they want all resources to themselves so they plan to kill the humanoid race. Now this is where you Mine G.M. come in. X-Com is a task force of elite cave diggers and machine operators that have decided to fight back.

As you have guessed most of the game revolves around mining even the ranks of soldiers are like Driller, Foremen, Machine Operator all the way up to Chief Engineer. Yeah.

And yes the name means Mine General Manager cause that's you.

The game functions differently and is much much harder. There are very few ranged weapons in the game most of them owned by terror units as built in weapons and only 1 tech for good guys called Electrolaser tech.

Most of the weapons are limited range or thrown or melee tech like chem thrower if you ever used it, grenades and TFTD drill weapons.

The game plays underground. No day or night.  And although this planet looks like a burnt ball of ash in fact what you see is the underground not the surface. In fact you don't know how the surface looks like.  The surface is very hot, bright, and is pretty much like venus permanent greenhouse effect. Very humid as all water is just floating around. Aliens have no problem on the surface but humans need special breathing equipment. Some battles, weapons and equipment works only on surface for ex solar stuff.
Spoiler:
Power and energy is very scarce so most of the lighting equipment is chemical and aliens use solar so it doesn't work underground. Solar > chemical.

I got it the whole thing figured out in a spreadsheet but enough talk here are some BASIC just starting picx.

Here are some races. There is another one planned

Here is the first race you encounter. Cavetoid

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 10:35:59 am by tollworkout »

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
Re: [TOTAl CONVERSION] Mine G.M. - wip (just started)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 11:38:13 am »
I don't play Total Conversions, but I'm eager to see what other ideas you have.  Keep at it and don't be discouraged.  Don't hesitate to drop by the IRC if you get stuck, we're happy to attempt to help ^^

niculinux

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 11:47:55 am »
Nice! But sorry,  personally don't see that surface setting would suit well to xcom, it was planned as intercept-and-hunt game, not some kind of dungeon-alike...but still a nice idea :)

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 11:53:39 am »
thakns guys. the interception/battles all all underground using drill tanks . ex https://www.google.ca/search?q=drill+tank&es_sm=91&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMI0qaZgOK0xwIVim4-Ch0towRV&biw=1366&bih=669

both aliens and xcom use underground vehicles.

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 02:34:53 pm »
Looks like a good start; recoloring looks really great. Idea sounds plausible; a preliminary test mod would be great for proof of concept as well.

The only question is the premise of interceptions; the drill tanks are intercepting enemy drill tanks underground?

niculinux

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 03:17:13 pm »
As  for terrain, obvously, you shoul use only tftd modified terrains to look more "underground", some more new should not take too long make, considering the setting (that is to say: modify tftd ones)

As for weapons, i'd suggest a selection mainly based on ancients and sci fi one, less "real ones counterparts"  Eg, for sci fi may you implemente the laser reskin mod but make it to use laser clips (it's a real pity no mod/tc still features it!), for ancients, borrow from piratez. :) eventually clips may be renamed to batteries, or laser batteries

Edit:sry for typos, but usin a tablet sometimes is a real pain... :, (

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 06:06:54 pm by niculinux »

Offline liberation

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 08:37:04 pm »
tollworkout, I like the idea however would advise making the basic mechanics and making sure everything works out how you want it to, if it does then get cracking! be nice to see more tc's in the works  8)

As chaosshade says pop onto irc if you have questions etc

niculinux

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 10:04:45 pm »
Wrong post, suggestion moved because intended for battle for mars, sorry  :'(
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 10:24:40 pm by niculinux »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 03:45:02 pm »
An awesome concept. My only big gripe is that I don't buy the "don't know how the surface looks like" thing. I guess seeing the planet from the outside kinda forces you to show its surface, and it looks plausible enough to me as it already is anyway.

niculinux

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 04:37:52 pm »
An awesome concept. My only big gripe is that I don't buy the "don't know how the surface looks like" thing. I guess seeing the planet from the outside kinda forces you to show its surface, and it looks plausible enough to me as it already is anyway.

Agree, maybe use a modified version of geoscope in battle for mars? Since the game is underground youre supposed to k ow at least approximately the surface, because you come from the outside? :)

As for weapons concept: since the game is set underground, there may make not much sense long range explosive launchers (missile, mortars, whatever) at least grenade and grenade launchers. Another hint, may i humbly suggest to use the sniper rifle realized by user guille1434, attached here, please? :)   also, ay fitting well  heat ray and power glove too. In the end, i'advice: don't take out much of ranged weapons (firearms and co.), but add more blades and blunt ones, eg the crossbow from piratez?

edit: added suggestions.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 05:49:32 pm by niculinux »

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 01:47:10 am »
haha

this mod is essentially TFTD mod

surface + volcanic underground 1, 2 = depth 3 , 2, 1
underground = surface depth 0

but only  UFO modding is fully supported atm. that's why you don't know. you do. obs.

since xcom future humans have been living underground where is darker and much cooler thy have a hard time with light/heat. plus surface and volcanic areas are pretty much unbreathable. these areas will kinda  like underwater with aliens solar stuff working only there.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:50:22 am by tollworkout »

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 01:55:25 am »
also underground is a lot of melee battles and surface a lot of ranged battle . and aliens get a whole new set of underground vs surface equipment. 

all high tech alien stuff works only on surface and a there are a bunch of odd weapons made out of mining gear

hope that clear things up.

im only working on underground atm cause that's all i can do.

Offline NebulaM78

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 04:13:29 am »
Nice to see another total conversion project. To me, as long as it contributes in keeping OpenXcom alive, it can be about stickmen killing alien stickmen for all I care. Don't be discouraged by looking at others, just do your best at your own mod and the community will be by your side.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 10:30:02 am »
Why would the aliens' tech only work above ground? Is it solar powered, with no batteries?

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 04:04:55 pm »
Why would the aliens' tech only work above ground? Is it solar powered, with no batteries?

yes kinda like plasma/sonic but no ammo and quite heavy.