Author Topic: [MAPS] New Terror Mission Map Blocks  (Read 116528 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: New Terror Mission Map Blocks
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2012, 06:51:03 am »
Problems with Openxcom OR problems with other tools i use?

With Other tools , there is a few bugs with
Mapview doenst save new map types  MCD after you close and reopen mapview
PCKview has a few issues with some graphic file
and MCDedit ... i have not figured that one out yet.
MCDADD is awesome ;)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 07:57:01 am by luke83 »

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2012, 10:19:20 am »
with openxcom :p
for the tools you probably need to contact Daishiva
I can imagine there are problems with the tools, as some things like you said may be hardcoded to xcom limits, while openxcom can handle things more flexible

The reason I ask is, there seems to be a rumour that there will be a new openxcom map type, probably after a discussion about the theoretical limits of the current xcom map file format.
But if there is someone who would know whether the current xcom map type has limits that prevents modders from creating new terrains,objects and maps, then it would be you.

I know the theoretical limits of the current xcom map format. But they can be easely worked around. Probably much easier than inventing a new map format, which implies you either need to convert all the old maps, or make a confusing mix of different map formats...

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2012, 03:03:49 pm »
I have already mentioned the flaws/bugs in Daishiva software to him and he was going to work on a Openxcom version because ( going off your previous comments) were sticking to the same format.

Only limitation i have found so far was with UFOs. For the small UFOs i wanted to allow doors on the back 2 sides as well, this causes a few issues with triggering the door correctly and sprites walking through walls. This is the only limitation that has really stopped me. I started experimenting with this again the other night and i found a work around. 

Since i was only going to do rotated UFO for the 3 small ufo sets , i can create a separate Tileset just  for them. Here is a picture of my work in progress.

Introducing my SMALL UFO tileset,   All back walls are now WALLS and the front 2 walls sets are now OBJECTS ( basically reversed from the originals).
The sprites DONT walk through any walls, the door trigger correctly and as far as i can tell everything works. Best of all my door is still 3D ( has the outer Hull radius on the back)

Still a work in progress , if anyone has any things that will  cause it to crash and burn please let me know  ::)

The thing about using the old format is it has been around for ever and there are plenty of maps floating around the internet you could try so why change it.  I understand long term this may be on the agenda but currently i am not seeing any major reasons to make the change.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 03:20:50 pm by luke83 »

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2012, 12:15:57 am »
luke83, I was thinking... your current "map package" overwrites the original FRNITURE.PCK and FRNITURE.MCD, which might make people afraid their original data gets messed up.
You could add your own PCK/MCD with your new objects, and add it in the list of mapdatasets:
  - name: URBAN
    mapDataSets:
      - BLANKS
      - ROADS
      - URBITS
      - URBAN
      - FRNITURE
      - LUKE83

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2012, 12:48:06 am »
Yes i want to move the to a  separate MCD so the original data remains unchanged, however there is a bug in the version of mapview i use that wont save NEW MCD names after mapview is reloaded. Dashiva has been informed about this bug.

I thing i have not checked is IF i make all the changes whilst leaving the program open IF it actually works, i may be able to work around this bug to separate it. ( The bug lets you laod up a new MCD and make the changes to all your mapsets and save it, however if you close Mapview and reopen it it forgets that you told it to use a new MCD)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 12:54:54 am by luke83 »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2012, 10:21:30 am »
It occurs to me, Since i overwrite the original Frniture MCD set couldnt i just change the name of my file to something different and save myself any additional work ( this would leave the original file unchanged incase someone else needs the original.

- BLANKS
      - ROADS
      - URBITS
      - URBAN
      - FRNL83  ( my version of frniture )

If that willl work i will do a addional version when V0.4 is done.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2012, 03:51:48 pm »
Been fixing a few errors i have found in this map set, having the instant battle option and DEBUG mode makes finding errors so fast, should have a Updated version out tomorrow night.

Also been playing around with a New mission idea , Save the science lab from the alien attack , Underground base , some scientists and security still on site ( security should be armed) aliens control the facility and Xcom needs to save the scientists.  Started recolouring some terrain and building a MCD set for it, if it leads to anything i will make a new topic for it but for now give me some feedback on the colours ( i am trying to make the different to the other maps).

Offline Leflair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2012, 08:22:55 pm »
Looks rather good!

Maybe try a variant with whit(ish)/black tile floor outside to have the interior lab floor and outside floor mesh a little better?

You could take a look at something like Theme Hospital (not a lab but similar enough) for some ideas.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2012, 12:51:27 am »
One of Hobbes maps uses black and white tiles like this, that is why i was looking for another colour, i do agree though the tiles don't mesh really well with the carpet in the room so i will need to doo something.

Offline Leflair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2012, 12:59:30 am »
Maybe make both a lighter shade of blue? Or go for a more "concrete military research outpost, location classified" feel. Or a delightfully rusty Soviet-era bunker complex.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2012, 04:03:53 pm »
Version 1.5 of the terror maps is uploaded on the MOD site.
https://openxcommods.weebly.com

UPDATE:
Short Youtube video added
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw6_7PWVsdo
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 07:01:22 am by luke83 »

Offline Leflair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2012, 10:59:08 am »
Pretty cool!

I imagine we could eventually do some cool shit with region/country tied tile-sets - like some Asian/European inspired terror site map blocks.

Offline zpmorgan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2013, 08:51:19 am »
Hi Luke

I've packaged this mod as a branch on github. All of your extra files, as well as the necessary ruleset changes, are in bin/data. I had to change some filenames because of case sensitivity on Linux.

Do you have the MCD file for extended terror version 1.5? It wasn't in the download, so I grabbed one from 1.0. It seems to work :)

https://github.com/zpmorgan/OpenXcom/tree/Mod-luke83-Expanded-Terror

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2013, 09:54:33 am »
Well , look at that , it appears i added the wrong file to that set ;) i will try to get the other one up tonight however from memory there was not many changes within the MCD between 1.4 and 1.5 it was mostly map fixes...

OK, my data is ALL OVER THE PLACE , next weekend i will clean everything up and work out what is the BEST set to be using, tonight , i must study for my test tomorrow... For now, there is a NEW folder uploaded to the MOD site which includes 2 different versions , next weekend i will sort it properly.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:00:58 am by luke83 »

Offline zpmorgan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2013, 01:33:05 pm »
I don't know that I'm able to mess with MCDs; it'll wait. Good luck on your test.