Author Topic: [WIP] Chiko's Alternate Xcom  (Read 151487 times)

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: New weapon graphics
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2014, 08:03:11 pm »
Code: [Select]
items:
  - type: STR_LASER_RIFLE
    bigSprite: 1
    floorSprite: 1
    handSprite: 0
  - type: STR_RIFLE
    bigSprite: 0
    floorSprite: 0
    handSprite: 8
switches the images for laser and rifle if you want to do something like that

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2014, 08:42:29 pm »
OK thanks that's good to know. does that meen I can't accss the default spites? (I was going to be lazy and use some of the default floor and hand Sprites)

No, you can use sprite numbers as they are used in the Xcom1Ruleset.rul. Note that these numbers are not defined in the ruleset itself (except several late additions), so this numeration is not dependent on any ruleset.

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2014, 09:58:58 pm »
Well, I'll just start modding this game now. Time to give those sprites actual uses. :P
I will probably ask a lot of modding questions in here to avoid littering the forums with them separately.

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2014, 04:23:50 am »
So far so good. I've started adding the sprite replacement and I'm starting to create new weapons, which is kinda harder since I'm not really good at the non inventory sprites.

Also, I always wanted to add a new aircraft into the game. This one is from an old game from the 90's but I kinda like it for an advanced interceptor.

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2014, 04:36:07 am »
I wanted to say "We have enough interceptor mods", but this one looks way too cool. :)

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2014, 09:27:16 am »
What about separating the rifle into 2 different weapons? Assault Rifle and Sniper Rifle. AR would get a decrease in accuracy, specially in Aimed Shot and the SR would get no burst shot, deal more damage, smaller ammo magazine, etc.

Not really and original idea by now, though.

Also, what about giving the Autogun burst shot only, a bit less accuracy but a bigger ammo capacity and the ability to fire a lot in a single turn? Like in the Xcom intro. :P

Edit: I almost forgot. It took forever to make because of the palette thing but I finally made it to look a bit more decent.

I'm kinda unsure about their stats. Should it be just overall better than the firestorm or maybe faster but less armored?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 09:31:39 am by Chiko »

niculinux

« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2014, 11:41:24 am »
Wow chiko that craft is awesome! I agree on havin a sniper rifle but i' remake rhe rifle, maybe some sorta m16 ak47 hybrid? There are a lot of artwork on internet for inspiration <3

Maybe somebody may take some "inspiration" form this?

Edit:typos fixed x:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 01:24:39 pm by niculinux »

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2014, 11:43:14 am »
Chicko ! Chicko ! Chicko !
Do you hear the crowd noise  :)

What about separating the rifle into 2 different weapons?
Please do it
There is already a Sniper Rifle, but I have to admit I prefer the look of your own design
Your contribution is a diamond in that sprites are exactly in same spirit of vanilla, and ammunition you provide are just perfect

May I ask a set of 5 laser clips of growing size for this kind of material...
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2054.msg19856#msg19856

Should it be just overall better than the firestorm or maybe faster but less armored?
Do you mean an interceptor able to stop future new Raider Ships ? 8)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 12:07:21 pm by Aldorn »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2014, 12:30:56 pm »
I wanted to say "We have enough interceptor mods"

you're not the mod police, there's no such thing as enough or too much. :P

and welcome back Chiko!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 12:32:32 pm by Warboy1982 »

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2014, 01:22:57 pm »
Also, what about giving the Autogun burst shot only, a bit less accuracy but a bigger ammo capacity and the ability to fire a lot in a single turn? Like in the Xcom intro. :P

In my opinion, that would make an already crappy weapon even worse. IMO the Auto-Cannon is the least efficient X-Com weapon, lacking both the power and the accuracy. If we take away its single fire option, then it'd be less flexible too.
Unless you want an autofire monster, but then I guess you need to go all the way. :)

Edit: I almost forgot. It took forever to make because of the palette thing but I finally made it to look a bit more decent.

A bit more decent? It looks way better! :)

I'm kinda unsure about their stats. Should it be just overall better than the firestorm or maybe faster but less armored?

Yes, after all we need to fill this niche. There's plenty of "improved interceptor" mods out there, but nothing high-end really.
Though "faster than Firestorm" seems really, really fast!

you're not the mod police, there's no such thing as enough or too much. :P

Sorry, what I meant is that there are zillions of improved interceptors already. I'm not saying people can't make more, only that there's not much demand, from what I can see. And public demand is the main reason for modding, at least for me.
But since Chiko wants something different that I expected, this argument goes out the window and I made a bit of a fool of myself.

Offline Human Ktulu

• Colonel
  • Cuistre !
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2014, 08:01:54 pm »
I like Chiko gfx  :P

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2014, 08:19:47 pm »
Wow chiko that craft is awesome! I agree on havin a sniper rifle but i' remake rhe rifle, maybe some sorta m16 ak47 hybrid? There are a lot of artwork on internet for inspiration <3

Maybe somebody may take some "inspiration" form this?

Edit:typos fixed x:
I thought about making real world weapon sprites but I kinda want to stick with the vanilla style.

May I ask a set of 5 laser clips of growing size for this kind of material...
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2054.msg19856#msg19856
Sure, I will post them here when they are done. A question, though. Are those clips usable for all 3 laser weapons or it's gonna be like 1 for the pistol, 2 for the rifle and the last 2 for the cannon?

and welcome back Chiko!
Happy to be back! It's been a while now. :P

In my opinion, that would make an already crappy weapon even worse. IMO the Auto-Cannon is the least efficient X-Com weapon, lacking both the power and the accuracy. If we take away its single fire option, then it'd be less flexible too.
Unless you want an autofire monster, but then I guess you need to go all the way. :)
:O

I had no idea you could affect how many bullets a weapon could fire at a time. I could do something similar with this one. Burst or Full Auto.

What I suggested is actually practical in its own way. I modded it in the vanilla Xcom years ago. You can use it to turn buildings, and any potential cover in general, into Swiss cheese, specially if you are using explosive ammo. Maybe I should leave the accuracy alone, though. It turns into an alternative to using rocket launchers to deal with aliens inside buildings. :3

Edit: It would be cool if there was some kind of "suppression" caused by simply being shoot at, which should "damage" TUs and Morale. That would give burst and auto fire a different tactical use.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 08:38:46 pm by Chiko »

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2014, 09:11:54 pm »
Sure, I will post them here when they are done. A question, though. Are those clips usable for all 3 laser weapons or it's gonna be like 1 for the pistol, 2 for the rifle and the last 2 for the cannon?

My request is very selfish and purely for my own use...

I am intended to have at least five weapons per technology (Regular/Gauss/Laser/Plasma)

Also the five weapons are Pistol, Rifle, Sniper Rifle, Heavy, HMG

Just some difference of size would be great (I tried myself but failed...)

There exist already SOME, but, without criticizing other modders, I like yours as they seem more consistent to me
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 09:17:41 pm by Aldorn »

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2014, 09:48:00 pm »
Question... Is there a way to implement a flamethrower? I remember posting one some pages ago out of boredom but since fire can spread, maybe it could be used to deal with aliens inside buildings. Also, can the damage caused by fire be edited?

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2014, 09:57:42 pm »
Question... Is there a way to implement a flamethrower? I remember posting one some pages ago out of boredom but since fire can spread, maybe it could be used to deal with aliens inside buildings. Also, can the damage caused by fire be edited?

There is already ONE implemented

The way used to mod this kind of ammunition effect is the explosion with high values set to "bulletSpeed:" and "explosionSpeed:" (in addition of "arcingShot:" for the weapon)

But that's right it is more like an incendiary auto cannon than a real flamethrower, as it does not burn all along the distance, I guess an engine limitation

Feel free to propose your own version  ;)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 11:57:15 pm by Aldorn »