Author Topic: [WIP] Chiko's Alternate Xcom  (Read 147956 times)

Offline karvanit

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: New weapon graphics
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2012, 03:52:42 pm »
Just wait until we hit 1.0! Then the gates will open...

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2012, 04:09:02 pm »
That would be the most awesome day ever!

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2012, 05:33:56 pm »
Mass Acceleration weapons based on the old Laser Rifle sprite. They still look a bit weird, specially brightness and contrasts but I'll tweak them later. Ammunition sprites will come next.

MA Weapons
MA Pistol / MA Rifle / MA Cannon / MA Autogun / Kinetic Rounds / EMP Rounds / Plasma Rounds / Fusion Rounds
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 04:44:28 pm by Chiko »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2012, 10:15:03 pm »
i'm so totally stealing that laser minigun for my mod.

i'm going a similar route with my weapons, ie:

mundane (human AP)
laser (human beam)
plasma (alien energy)
disruptor (alien beam)
gauss (alien AP)

and then have subtypes for each type:
pistol/smg
assault rifle (standard xcom rifle style)
shotgun (multiple low powered projectiles)
carbine rifle (high powered single shot weapons)
assault cannon (full auto flavour)

for a total of 25 weapon types, plus alien and human flamethrowers and grenade/missile launchers, and specialty weapons (like an EMP rifle capable of stunning a sectopod)

so basically what i'm saying is, there's a lot of holes in my sprite set. thank you for filling another one :P

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2012, 12:45:19 am »
Tehehe... no problem, lad. Remember to check the sprites once in a while or to save these ones coz I sometimes edit the sprites already done at random. Well, not at random, it happens when I feel like tweaking them.

Also, I have something similar to your subtype weapons in my dreamed X-Com. Weapon Modifications. Basically, they add or change functionality in weapons. They also get a partial name change.

Burst Mode: Add Burst Shot to Pistol and Rifle Class Weapons / Prefix added "Assault"
Optical Scope: Better Aimed Shots for Pistol and Rifle Class Weapons / Snipers can aim at Body Parts / Prefix added "Scoped"
Laser Sight: Slightly increases Acc for Pistol, Rifle and Heavy Class Weapons / Prefix added "Laser-Sighted"
EMP Mode: Plasma Weapons gain the Ability to fire EMP bolts / Name replacement "Plasma" to "EMP"
Stun Mode: Plasma Weapons gain the Ability to fire Stun bolts / Name replacement "Plasma" to "Stunner"

As you can see, these would be like Subtype Weapons too.
Also, the EM Guns I posted do not exist in my dreamed X-Com. The EMP Mode makes them redundant items. I made the sprites for them anyways. :P
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 04:57:38 pm by Chiko »

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2012, 04:47:30 pm »
Added a bit more sprites to the main page in this thread.

EMP Grenade, EMP Proximity Mine and Different ammo choices for the MA Weapons. I also edited some of the weapons.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2012, 01:52:54 pm »
Chiko could you made that clip in weapon graphic and clip graphic look exactly that same? I have most problems with heavy weapons because original clips are big as whole weapon.

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2012, 06:31:06 pm »
Chiko could you made that clip in weapon graphic and clip graphic look exactly that same? I have most problems with heavy weapons because original clips are big as whole weapon.
I tried it a while ago but it's kind of difficult. Scaling items to the same size, specially ammo clips on weapons will cause the weapons to not fit in the Left/Right Hand grids in the Inventory. The other option would be to make ammo clips small like the ones represented in the weapons.

Ammo and Weapons are already different sizes in the original game. Sprites in the inventory window don't really need to be scaled the same size, IMO. They are just graphic representations of the items depending on the slots they take in the inventory window.

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2012, 10:48:00 pm »
Been trying to make a Flamethrower. I could only get this done.

Looks somewhat weird... I'll give it another try later. :P

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2013, 05:51:21 pm »
How is it that i have missed this thread??!!! I know this is reviving and old thread but it is great work.

Chiko the work is awesome, this has so many good ideas written all over. I hope you do post a little higher res version, for when OPENXCOM goes high-def :)

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2013, 04:17:47 am »
Might do. Only thing I would be needing are high-def of the original weapons since I use ingame graphics to "create" new stuff. :P

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2013, 04:16:07 pm »
@Chiko

Not bad man. Nice sprites. Definitely continue developing the weapons.

However the sprites could use more creative innovation. Current ones are too much similar to original pixel graphics.

Maybe the soldiers should hold the knife upside down, blade pointing toward ground, but much more important is to develop a different, new outlook of all weapons.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2013, 07:08:01 pm »
However the sprites could use more creative innovation. Current ones are too much similar to original pixel graphics.
whole point of Chiko work was to made its look like original.

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2013, 04:33:06 pm »
Yup. The difference with vanilla sprites is I'm making items with the same tech look alike.

A good example world be vanilla laser weapons. they all look different. I didn't really liked that so I decided to make sprites all using the same style and color. I'm still using the sprites I'm replacing to make other weapons like the Electromagnetic Weapons all based on the vanilla Plasma Rifle sprite.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2013, 02:44:06 pm »
Nothing really of interest, but I vote for similar weapons too, I mean not so different from original to keep atmosphere...
Job done by Chiko is just amazing !
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:43:06 pm by Aldorn »