Author Topic: HWP and battleType: 6  (Read 4164 times)

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
HWP and battleType: 6
« on: June 07, 2015, 06:06:53 pm »
I was wondering whether it was possible to equip a HWP with a medi-kit like equipment (battelType: 6). The answer to this is definitely yes, however such an item is automatically put into a belt slot and as it is fixed equipement literally, it is no use. Has anybody found a work around for this problem? Or, is there a solution in the later versions (still using 2015_04_30_0720)?

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
Re: HWP and battleType: 6
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 06:42:54 pm »
It would be interresting to have some short of medical drone/HWP indeed.

Offline Random Commander

• Captain
  • Making no sense since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 11:21:58 pm »
I Imagine the quick and dirty fix to this would be to enable a HWP's inventory, slap a Medkit on its hand pre-mission, and then call it your "Medical Droid."

I don't know if you are able to toy around with the fixed nature of the HWP's actual weapon though...

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 03:11:42 am »
It is possible to access hwp inventories and you can even assign them items that won't be stuck by creating the item and not having the "fixedWeapon: true" property, but listing the item in the builtInWeapons of the unit.

The problem then becomes that anybody can get the weapon too.. If it's recoverable, you will recover it but a new one will be created every mission. So that's bad for medikits (as it creates an infinite supply).. For the XAE attack dogs, I had a motion detector type item created for dogs, worth nothing, not recoverable, different TU cost, requires mind probe research and it was always put in the backpack.. You can put it in the dog's hand, but you can also make a soldier use it which is stupid. Kind of have to trust your players for things like this.

For an actual tank, you could make a different medikit that's not recoverable, built-in but not fixed and weighs a ton or something so it's not useful for soldiers.. Although having an inventory for the tank would open up the exploit of using the tank to throw stuff (especially if it has high strength to be able to carry the huge medikit..). So you can't make it perfect, but you can make it if you trust your player to play the game instead of exploiting it.

Final comment: I think you can actually use equipment (medikits, motion scanners, mind probes, etc.) on HWP in Yankes' OpenXCom Extended.

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 01:51:43 pm »
Thanks for the help, everyone!

For an actual tank, you could make a different medikit that's not recoverable, built-in but not fixed and weighs a ton or something so it's not useful for soldiers.. Although having an inventory for the tank would open up the exploit of using the tank to throw stuff (especially if it has high strength to be able to carry the huge medikit..). So you can't make it perfect, but you can make it if you trust your player to play the game instead of exploiting it.

Yes, that's what it actually came to. But I am not entirely happy with it.

Final comment: I think you can actually use equipment (medikits, motion scanners, mind probes, etc.) on HWP in Yankes' OpenXCom Extended.

That's what I have heard, too.

It would be interresting to have some short of medical drone/HWP indeed.

There is one already. However, it still needs some work due to the problems mentioned above.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 05:05:51 pm »
HWP medikits (mind probes, psi amps etc...) work with OpenXCom: Extended so far only. And I think it's unlikely to change.