aliens

Author Topic: Advent - A new X-Com game?  (Read 48544 times)

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
Re: Advent - A new X-Com game?
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2015, 04:48:46 pm »
First XCOM 2 Gameplay Footage - IGN Live: E3 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzAKyj-KK-E&t=2m22s
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 04:51:22 pm by kkmic »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2015, 06:03:18 pm »
Dont say these things to a Quebecois m8 :P

Although I have to admit I never met an Anglo-Canadian having these tendencies.

God dammit....I can see now the U.S. licencing women with big breasts as gun owners....

lol As a quebecer living in english canada, I spoke knowingly :P Granted, the love of guns isn't actually prevalent, but the fear of the boob.. I've seen that. Not in Quebec, indeed, but that's why I said English Canada ;)

First XCOM 2 Gameplay Footage - IGN Live: E3 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzAKyj-KK-E&t=2m22s

Interesting.. This doesn't really feel like XCom anymore, but we'll see. Funny how procedural map creation seems like such a big breakthrough when it was in the very first game.. It's good to see it back though. I thought the repeated maps was because I played on my phone, on a computer I would have been quite disappointed.

I'm curious about the double overwatch too. I hated how one alien showing up would trigger all my soldiers and waste 2 overwatches out of 3.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 06:05:26 pm by Arthanor »

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2015, 06:11:05 pm »
Good God I need a towel after that.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2015, 09:33:45 pm »
lol As a quebecer living in english canada, I spoke knowingly :P Granted, the love of guns isn't actually prevalent, but the fear of the boob.. I've seen that. Not in Quebec, indeed, but that's why I said English Canada ;)

Interesting.. This doesn't really feel like XCom anymore, but we'll see. Funny how procedural map creation seems like such a big breakthrough when it was in the very first game.. It's good to see it back though. I thought the repeated maps was because I played on my phone, on a computer I would have been quite disappointed.

I'm curious about the double overwatch too. I hated how one alien showing up would trigger all my soldiers and waste 2 overwatches out of 3.

Didnt see the English part, well that would make 2 of us  (Quebecers).

On the rest....Why do I have a feeling its gonna be one more of the same just repackaged with a little more bling? I mean we had missions too in the previous one. There doesnt seem to be much of a change.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2015, 10:24:35 pm »
Ha! Always nice to discover un compatriote!

Regarding the game: The battlescape feels like a different game with the same engine. Can't say I was impressed with the snakewoman.. To me, snakemen should be fast and deadly, maybe spit poison, but not have a 15 meter tongue (they're not chameleons..). If they rushed you and then crushed/bit you, sure. Put a Mortal Kombat "Come Here!" attack?! Meh... Also XCom to me is about fighting aliens, not humans..

It will hinge on the geoscape I guess. Might be a good game even if it doesn't feel like XCom though.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2015, 03:25:50 pm »
Ha! Always nice to discover un compatriote!

Regarding the game: The battlescape feels like a different game with the same engine. Can't say I was impressed with the snakewoman.. To me, snakemen should be fast and deadly, maybe spit poison, but not have a 15 meter tongue (they're not chameleons..). If they rushed you and then crushed/bit you, sure. Put a Mortal Kombat "Come Here!" attack?! Meh... Also XCom to me is about fighting aliens, not humans..

It will hinge on the geoscape I guess. Might be a good game even if it doesn't feel like XCom though.

Looks like to me someone just found the cut content of Apocalypse and put it in a shaker with the 2012 X-Com and voila. Lets hope it will last more than 5 replays, that how much 2012 lasted for me (and another 2 with the expansion).

Also this stupidity with the Human Genome been the answer to everything....Yeah I understand, humanity fuck yeah: https://1d4chan.org/images/6/6e/HumanityFuckYeah1.jpg but cut me some slack.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 03:31:04 pm by pilot00 »

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2015, 06:46:53 am »
They explained that the human enemies are just the equivalent of Sectoids or Floaters from the original. You're fighting their low-tier garbage cannon-fodder because they don't see you as that big a threat yet. And between the Cult of Sirius and EXALT, the pro-slavery human faction has always played at least a small part. Besides it makes perfect sense for the alien taskmasters to use expendable assets like humans.

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2015, 03:31:34 pm »
Hm...  saw the video...  more of the same.  Somehow I wish they could be more adventurous.  Maybe some more AI.  Something like Mount & Blade warband with more individuality would be nice.  Warband can handle a few hundred on each side...  this is more small squad tactics.

Somehow I keep wishing for an idealized game where you can be one of a company of 200 and that's just one side.  I suppose a lot of computers couldn't handle it, but its a step further than apocalypse.

Maybe...  hire some decent fluff writers, make a heart breaking story or even 5 paragraphs of good worthy biographies for every hire.  Might not be profitable, but it would help me decide who to sacrifice and who to retain.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2015, 09:02:36 pm »
There were NO story-driven forced sacrifices in the original (there could be tons of sacrifices, depending on your game style, but none forced by the storyteller - you were commanding soldiers, not suicide bombers.). I think they should kick the writers out instead. The game feels dangerously like Call of Duty, and I don't like the jihadist vibe the new XCom has either.

Things were so much simpler in the past. The old XCom unified people of every continent and political viewpoint with a simple message any healthy human has to identify with: THE BASTARDS HAVE LANDED. WE'LL KICK THEIR ASS. It was speaking through the universal language of pure violence. XCom was beyond any moral judgement, good or bad - they were us, the humans, against them, the aliens.

Here we have a much more complex dialectic, as, on the surface of it, the aliens really seem to be trying to clean up the mess we have gotten ourselves into as a species through the combined weight of too many bad choices. They don't seem to be doing this only to turn us into the soylent green either, so we have moral ambiguity right there.

Still, if you disregard the story of Advent, I guess we can have a pretty decent tactical mobile game, though (definitely not a full-fledged PC game). For a mobile game, it looks advanced enough.

I'm half-tempted to play this, if only to dissect game's dialectic, but on the other hand, XCOM2012 was quite tedious and we can expect more of the same gameplay here...

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2015, 09:17:33 pm »
. The game feels dangerously like Call of Duty, and I don't like the jihadist vibe the new XCom has either.

Oh come on now, thats hyperbole there and there. I admit the scenario is bullcrap but still....Jihad?

Things were so much simpler in the past. The old XCom unified people of every continent and political viewpoint with a simple message any healthy human has to identify with: THE BASTARDS HAVE LANDED. WE'LL KICK THEIR ASS. It was speaking through the universal language of pure violence. XCom was beyond any moral judgement, good or bad - they were us, the humans, against them, the aliens.

If we speak strictly for EU, then yes. If you generalise the whole series was about how the human race is steadily losing its humanity and becoming that which it fights. With each subsequent war more moral sacrificies with technology gains as a trade off and an uncertain future lying ahead.

Here we have a much more complex dialectic, as, on the surface of it, the aliens really seem to be trying to clean up the mess we have gotten ourselves into as a species through the combined weight of too many bad choices. They don't seem to be doing this only to turn us into the soylent green either, so we have moral ambiguity right there.

Continuing on my above reply neither in the original their purpose was extermination, you had crossbreading/experimentation and exploitation that reached inhuman levels.

Still, if you disregard the story of Advent, I guess we can have a pretty decent tactical mobile game, though (definitely not a full-fledged PC game). For a mobile game, it looks advanced enough.

I'm half-tempted to play this, if only to dissect game's dialectic, but on the other hand, XCOM2012 was quite tedious and we can expect more of the same gameplay here...

I wouldnt call a randomly generated map with set objectives on a set method of approach: Deploy, stealthily pinpoint the enemy, kill them, do the objective, scram it, advanced, but I see your point.

2012 Also was no tedious, it was boring. Once you set up 5-6 things the game litteraly progresses on by itself, all you had to do is reach that point. On the other hand from what is been said and promissed I can see this one to be indeed tedious.

Offline Random Commander

• Captain
  • Making no sense since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2015, 10:20:05 pm »
There were NO story-driven forced sacrifices in the original (there could be tons of sacrifices, depending on your game style, but none forced by the storyteller - you were commanding soldiers, not suicide bombers.). I think they should kick the writers out instead. The game feels dangerously like Call of Duty, and I don't like the jihadist vibe the new XCom has either.

Oh come on now, thats hyperbole there and there. I admit the scenario is bullcrap but still....Jihad?

If we speak strictly for EU, then yes. If you generalise the whole series was about how the human race is steadily losing its humanity and becoming that which it fights. With each subsequent war more moral sacrificies with technology gains as a trade off and an uncertain future lying ahead.

Continuing on my above reply neither in the original their purpose was extermination, you had crossbreading/experimentation and exploitation that reached inhuman levels.

I wouldnt call a randomly generated map with set objectives on a set method of approach: Deploy, stealthily pinpoint the enemy, kill them, do the objective, scram it, advanced, but I see your point.

2012 Also was no tedious, it was boring. Once you set up 5-6 things the game litteraly progresses on by itself, all you had to do is reach that point. On the other hand from what is been said and promissed I can see this one to be indeed tedious.
Both of you seem to be forgetting something, the ability to mod the game with proper tools. So one of you thinks the plot is stupid and the other thinks the gameplay leaves more to be desired. I think 2k games made the right decision to add bonafide modding tools, because now you are able to counteract the problems they put in the vanilla game! Plus, the OpenXcom community is full of modders and I trust that you guys can make outstanding mods for it once the game comes out, right?

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2015, 11:32:20 pm »
Both of you seem to be forgetting something, the ability to mod the game with proper tools. So one of you thinks the plot is stupid and the other thinks the gameplay leaves more to be desired. I think 2k games made the right decision to add bonafide modding tools, because now you are able to counteract the problems they put in the vanilla game! Plus, the OpenXcom community is full of modders and I trust that you guys can make outstanding mods for it once the game comes out, right?

Dioxine maybe, but knowing him the little I do from here, I doubt he will even consider it. Personally I am not a moder. I dont have a clue about it. But that arguement if I am allowed to phrase it as such (no offense meant) is a bit week. If that was the case then every modable game that was considered 'bad' should have this excuse. You are paying for the game m8, not the mods that will come after. If I wanted to play the mods and mods only, they might as well have released an open source barebones engine charge it 10 euro/dollars and all of us would enjoy the mods. Not a game that is 90% Its predecessor (which is lacking in the first place) with a retouch and me paying its marketing campaign. Not it is only lazy, its unethical and essentially exploits the moders in a sense if we take the premiss of a game designed only to be 'good' after mods. Plus, if I was a developer and I saw my game getting the long war treatment, it would be a huge 'fuck you' to my psyche as a professional. Because that was not a mod that was a fix.

Firaxis created cinema material for X-Com not an X-Com game and unfortunently thats the gist of it IMHO.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 11:45:35 pm by pilot00 »

Offline Random Commander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2015, 11:53:28 pm »

Personally I am not a moder. I dont have a clue about it. But that arguement if I am allowed to phrase it as such (no offense meant) is a bit week. If that was the case then every modable that was considered 'bad' should have this excuse. You are paying for the game m8, not the mods that will come after. If I wanted to play the mods and mods only, they might as well have released an open source barebones engine charge it 10 euro/dollars and all of us would enjoy the mods. Not a game that is 90% Its predecessor with a retouch and me paying its marketing campaign. Because make no mistake about it, in this instance thats what we are paying for. Or so it seems. Ill reserve final judgement upon release.

No offense taken, I believe I must have miscommunicated my argument (which I tend to do). Of course you will have to play the game first before finding the problems that irk you the most. And even then, you don't have to be a modder to enjoy mods other people make. You pay for the game too, but sometimes you don't like certain aspects of it, or maybe you want to see something added in?

The point I'm trying to make is that yes, you should reserve your judgements until the game comes out, because you might have overlooked some important details that would have definitely changed your opinion. I anticipate that the mods will also be a factor to this, but like you said, we have to wait until release.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2015, 12:02:48 am »

The point I'm trying to make is that yes, you should reserve your judgements until the game comes out, because you might have overlooked some important details that would have definitely changed your opinion. I anticipate that the mods will also be a factor to this, but like you said, we have to wait until release.

Yeah, what I say is based on what we know so far. Which is mighty NOT impressive, asside from the cool focal points. But cool snakemen with boobs get boring only after so many times that you see them. Gameplay mechanics is the point in games for me and immersion. And I have to admit that 2012 did a good job in immersion, a feat in itself these days, since game developers forget it alltogether. But its mechanics were so cut down it was painfull.

Time will tell.

Offline Random Commander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2015, 12:15:57 am »
Yeah, what I say is based on what we know so far. Which is mighty NOT impressive, asside from the cool focal points. But cool snakemen with boobs get boring only after so many times that you see them. Gameplay mechanics is the point in games for me and immersion. And I have to admit that 2012 did a good job in immersion, a feat in itself these days, since game developers forget it alltogether. But its mechanics were so cut down it was painfull.

Time will tell.

Gameplay? OH! That reminds me:

The XCOM2 Team provided a gameplay demo over at E3. You can see the thing Here, at about the 1 hour 50 minute mark.

It's pretty fluent in my eyes.