aliens

Author Topic: Let's Play PirateZ! (0.9j) Finished:Incomplete (52 episodes)  (Read 130251 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: Let's Play PirateZ! (0.9j) Now with Limericks!!!
« Reply #240 on: June 14, 2015, 05:55:21 pm »
Bleh! So many Critics!

Kill 'em All!

Offline Random Commander

• Captain
  • Making no sense since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 14, 2015, 07:14:50 pm »
Bleh! So many Critics!

Kill 'em All!
I prefers torching 'em with the flamers, cap'n! Like the landlubbers be say'n, "Kill it with fire!"

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Let's Play PirateZ! (0.9j) Vote Time!!
« Reply #242 on: June 15, 2015, 03:15:11 am »
Decision time:

I have recorded up to episode 42.  I have not yet switched over to PirateZ Extended, which just came out with not a lot of fanfare today, I guess.  I have a little less than 3 weeks left to create content for this Lets Play.  When I started the LP, I was under the impression that Meridian might pick it up where I had to stop, but I don't think that is going to happen now.  He still has a lot of FMP to cover, and I think he feels like the lackluster play so far in the series has doomed it. I think if/when he does take on PirateZ he will do so on his own terms, probably with Extended, and of course rock this game in his normal masterful style.

So at this time, I'm wondering if I should keep the orphan alive for a few more weeks, and if so, should I try to upgrade to Extended, and suffer through many more hilarious/heartbreaking fails as I try to learn all of the new changes in the game.   If there is enough interest I can probably squeeze out another 10 episodes or so.  Over all, I'd say that the campaign is still very much in the early game, and that it features very mediocre tactics and strategy at best. :)  (I'd guess that a complete campaign of PirateZ would involve 250-300 episodes at the pace that I play).

Please vote:
1. String it out?
2. Lets see even more fails with Extended!
3. Let it go!!

Cheers, Ivan :D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:17:55 am by ivandogovich »

Offline Random Commander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 15, 2015, 03:20:48 am »
Good question, but if you are going to drop the series, what other mod/game are you going to play?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #244 on: June 15, 2015, 03:22:45 am »
 :-[

I'm done with school at that point, and my PC/recording time is coming to an end.  So I won't be doing any more YT vids or LPs etc. This was just a "while I'm in school" hobby.

Offline Random Commander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 15, 2015, 03:27:45 am »
 :o
Aw, crap, sorry to hear that.

In that case I say you definitely need to continue this as long as you are still in school, so I suppose... um...

Maybe you can install extended just to attempt to resurrect the flair that this LP had, failing hard at new things instead of failing hard at old things? That would be what I would do.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 15, 2015, 03:31:49 am »
Hey Ivan!

Don't sell yourself short man! Although masterful play is not your signature trait for LP, you are the most entertaining I have seen (even without the "Ivan moments" which I really like too!). I've tried a few others, but they never managed to grab me like you have and, except for you, it's always felt like I'd rather play the game than watch it be played. That swearing spaniard dude you mentioned looked interesting, but I don't speak spanish :/

With that said, I would suggest you keep things going as they are rigth now. No offense to Dioxine, but after such a bold (and awesome) move, it's not unlikely that there might be some issues to iron out. And a lot did change intentionally. That's not something you really want to tackle in ~10 episodes. It's just not enough time (plus the wasted time to set it up, which could be 1-2 more episodes for us!).

Let's see where this is going, and if you can set the gals into a more promising situation with the 10 episodes that we still have. I, for one, am looking forward to every one of them. With the looting of that supply ship and the pogrom that's going rather well, I'd say it's looking up right now!

I wish I could offer to pick up your LP if Meridian won't, but I have never done it and it would probably be a disgrace :P

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #247 on: June 15, 2015, 03:33:43 am »
Well, I can definitely post my save and all the game resources I've been using if someone wants to take it on when the time comes~!  And Thanks for the Feedback!

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 15, 2015, 03:37:50 am »
This is not a real question:

1) You know we love your LP and we dont see it in order to learn how to play but in order to have fun, I probably suck more bro.
2) Weather you win or lose it doesnt matter, see 1.
3) Upgrading to extended mid LP/Campaign will cause more problems and ultimetly will confuse new watchers more.
4) Last but not least, If this your last YT series, then under no circumstances should it be left unfinished.  And if you cant finish it due to time restraints at least drag it as long as you can.

So I vote keep going.

EDIT: We lost Jstanks play, at least keep this up as long as you can.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:41:32 am by pilot00 »

Offline FudgeDragon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 15, 2015, 09:18:58 am »
Real shame to see you go. I typically don't watch let's plays for games I play myself (I typically get bored after 3-6 episodes) but I've enjoyed yours, starting from your 'Rocking the Oldies' TFTD.

I'll mirror what the others are saying above. If you're rapping up LPing, continue with what you're doing atm. If you were continuing I'd say by all means wrap this up and start series 2 pirates on extended. but ~10 episodes isn't really time for a new lp to get off the ground. In early game pirates that's probably about 6 missions (maybe even less), and that's nothing.

Offline Random Commander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 15, 2015, 09:24:27 am »
In all honesty, I really think you should just continue for as long as you can. If you have to stop abruptly, then we will figure something out. For now though, just have fun!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #251 on: June 15, 2015, 10:20:50 am »
Well I'll be honest here, I don't understand the problem. Either you want to do it or not; if you don't, that's fine, but if you do, why does it matter if you're still in school or not? Unless you plan to enter a monastery or something. :)

I'm not saying you must continue recording no matter what. I love your LPs, but as you said it's a hobby and a matter of choice. I only want to say that you should base this decision on this, and not on excuses like "I'm finishing school and I'll be too busy to do it". Because it can't be true for anyone.

Having said that, I'm actually in favour of switching to Extended. The changes aren't fundamental, so I don't think there'll be confusion over it, and I think an LP should reflect the game as it is, and the Extended version is the only Piratez version left. Besides, I want to see all the new stuff. :)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 15, 2015, 10:55:10 am »
The "problem" is called real life... I won't go into any details, Ivan can explain if he wants to.

My vote goes to: 2. Lets see even more fails with Extended!
(but please check with Dioxine if the save won't fall apart)

As for picking up on the series, I promised I will do it, and I am definitely not going to break my word.
In all honesty, I would prefer starting a new game (a spiritual successor if you will), but continuing the campaign is also a good option... as I said in the comments Ivan, let the viewers decide what they want.

As for the timing, I could probably start playing/recording around July 11th... so if you can produce cca 10 more episodes, it could go pretty fluently.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #253 on: June 15, 2015, 04:21:09 pm »
Unless you plan to enter a monastery or something. :)

Probably worse - like getting married :)

Normally, I wouldn't reccomend switching to Extended mid-campaign. Ivan's game is by no means doomed, and it'd be kinda shame for 40-50 episodes to go to waste, but with improvements that I've been releasing during his LP, I kept everything as little invasive as possible. This is no longer true with Extended. Even the starting base layout has changed with a new building added. Many researches have changed. I made sure the game is still possible to pick up, but it'll be like a hurricane - lots of STR_something 0-point researches popped up, things working for some time then stopping because you no longer have the prerequistes or something (like Rum production - you no longer have neither resources or required building). Otoh, this is possible to handle with a few hours of test-playing and fixing before returning to the game. AND your moneymaking capabilities would go to waste instantly, with no Still nor the technology to build one - the tech can be researched pretty fast, but it still costs $900k to build! Of course you can just make a Still to spontaneously appear at your base... :)

Also there is a strong possibility of bugs, so maybe waiting for first bugreports and fixes would be prudent...

Honestly, I don't know - continuing would be the best, but I feel I need to give a fair warning about the impeding perils.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 04:27:49 pm by Dioxine »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Let's Play OpenXcom PirateZ! Ep #35: Forsaken City!!
« Reply #254 on: June 15, 2015, 05:46:11 pm »
Let's Play OpenXcom PirateZ! Ep #35: Forsaken City!! 

Too Greedy. Too Sloppy.

Cheers, Ivan :D

Limerick:
Spoiler:
Though it seemed an idea quite cute
To have Tasha haul up the loot
  She passed out in smoke,
  the primed grenade spoke
And downed our best sniper to boot  :-[