Author Topic: [UNIT] Phaser Race - WIP  (Read 19265 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: [UNIT] Phaser Race - WIP
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 01:14:52 am »
I like the outlines better than just the eyes.  I think the burned ground effect could be good too.

Anyway, great concept, and nice work!

Mono

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2015, 01:24:15 am »
Or use only a flat shadow in the ground?

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 01:31:18 am »
Looks even better.  I like the outline.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2015, 01:46:44 am »
guys 1 PROBLEM!

:)

since you can't see them they never show up n markings no LOS you cannot ever see their bodies and outlines are completely invisible . i was using debug and that way it works cause i can see everything . means you can only see these guys on scanners if they move. now ok.. i know i said they are immune to all damage but i might make their lof same as stealth armor so you can spot them at diagonal angles AT LEAST ...not knowing where thy are is impossible to react haha. it was so crazy. i got shot down from i have no idea where i couldnt see anyone.

so i might make them killable at angles using all weapons like stealthed guy. is just too insane to play with completely invisible units.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2015, 01:51:13 am »
HOLY SHIT IT'S SOOOOO HARD even with lof 85 like stealth sooo hard i just got shot out of nowhere have no clue where they are. Wow. But i can see them half the time from diagonal angles.  Is just impossible. This unit is impossible difficulty. This unit is the worst.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2015, 02:04:27 am »
is ok i figured it out. i made them so you can kinda spot them at times and still only explosives/stun can affect them.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2015, 05:30:19 am »
hey guys thanks for your interest. here are a few more updates.

the stalker is kinda of a phaser dog and leaves burning marks
the phaser doesn't leave burning marks.
you can see both at an angle only.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:14:43 am by tollworkout »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2015, 05:51:45 am »
I had a look but to me I probably try completely invisible option. I think 1, 2 of those units in very special maps (Alien Base, for instance) could really add a little more tension and I love the idea of getting the motion scanner more use.

Could one still try to hit your Phaser if you target it indirectly, like firing at a wall lined with with it and your soldier?

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 05:59:38 am »
Yeah, don't like the trail on the terror unit.  Overall still looking good.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2015, 06:20:10 am »
I had a look but to me I probably try completely invisible option. I think 1, 2 of those units in very special maps (Alien Base, for instance) could really add a little more tension and I love the idea of getting the motion scanner more use.

Could one still try to hit your Phaser if you target it indirectly, like firing at a wall lined with with it and your soldier?

Completely invisible is really really hard but very exciting.  Phasers cannot be hit by anything other than incendiary/stun/explosive . Before I had LOF 0 which means untargetable even by misfire but now I made them half visible and I adjusted their armor as well to match those stats.  Invisible mode they can't be hit even using CTL+fire. Is impossible. Without a hit box they can't be hit. Is like they are not even there. In fact the engine thinks they are not there and try to pathfind trough them. Thats another way you can kinda tell where they are if you all the sudden are blocked by something.  Stalkers are very aggressive and will always engage close and you can figure it out that way too.

I might make Hobbes flavour fully invisible and Ivan flavour half visible. Hobbes one is closest thing to hardcore. 

I made their fire accuracy about 5 lower than sectoids so you can kinda trace where they are based on where they are shooting from.  You keep a tank or something in the middle taking fire and guess where they are. That's one strategy. I don't know. Scanners is another. Also both units are not very fast. Phaser is like 48 i think TU, and 56 or something for stalker. So once you kinda guess they will still be around.

Both units have incredibly low health. Problem is finding them. Phasers go from 15 to 45 health based on rank and Stalkers have 55 health. So hit them once with anything you're good.

I might release a quick test version for you guys soon . Maybe one invisible and one half visible. See what you think
Yeah, don't like the trail on the terror unit.  Overall still looking good.

So remove burning marks ? I wasn't too too crazy about them either. Just testing out.

I wanna make aggro sounds thought for both units so you know which one you are dealing with.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 06:27:31 am by tollworkout »

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2015, 06:31:55 am »

So remove burning marks ? I wasn't too too crazy about them either. Just testing out.

Yep. 

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2015, 06:41:22 am »
okay burning marks removed

phaser
      tu: 50
      stamina: 80
      health: 10 (increases by 5 every rank)
      bravery: 90
      reactions: 63
      firing: 48
      throwing: 58
      strength: 30
      psiStrength: 100
      psiSkill: 0
      melee: 50
intelligence increases / rank
aggression degreases per rank (commander is likely to be in the ship on the chairs in front of screens)

stalker
      tu: 60
      stamina: 90
      health: 65
      bravery: 100
      reactions: 70
      firing: 0
      throwing: 0
      strength: 70
      psiStrength: 100
      psiSkill: 0
      melee: 76

releasing test 1  - Hobbes  version - completely invisible Phasers/Stalkers battle mode only

you will get out of you ship and shots will be fired from all over and you won't be able to see anyone
you need to use you intuition, scanners and lots and lots of explosives
since you can't see them, their weapons, bodies outlines and eyes also invisible as well as anything else that is part of them. engine will also pathfind trough them as if nothing is there. and no enemy markings ever.

good luck.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 06:44:07 am by tollworkout »

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2015, 07:05:39 am »
just tried a game as completely invisible and i was doing OK until i got shrekt by a phaser grenade and a stalker mauling all my dudes. that grenade got my chem guy and i was left without any area damage other than grenades. elerium bomb is good too. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:14:05 am by tollworkout »

Offline Arpia

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2015, 12:02:53 pm »
just a little thought I had.
Burning marks could actually make sense, since this is an invisible stalker. you can actually bend light using water and intense heat to create a mirage effect. it's not practical to make camo since the heat thing would like... yknow... scald the user alive.
But for an alien with acess to technology beyond our understanding, or a silacoid-like molten core, it could explain the heat and the stealth.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2015, 07:40:55 pm »
Using changes in air densities through application of heat to generate index of refraction gradients and bend light? That's a pretty cool idea. It's not phasing as originally conceptualized (ie being out of phase with reality = not being there) and would require a different name (Airbenders? :P) but it is another way to be invisible.

Personally, I like the truly invisible one but with burning marks. Maybe the act of phasing in and out of existence damages your surroundings, which would explain the marks. And having the marks allow you to "see them" through their effect on their surroundings. (Like invisible Harry Potter walking in the snow)