Author Topic: Faster "movement speed"and "Fire speed"  (Read 3889 times)

Offline Markus Ramikin

• Captain
    • View Profile
Faster "movement speed"and "Fire speed"
« on: January 24, 2015, 10:44:10 am »
Could we by any chance get a higher max speed of soldier movement?

One thing I liked about the (otherwise annoying) "speed depends on CPU" bug making X-com superfast on modern computers was that that soldiers moved instantly, and moving 14 or 26 soldiers around was less of a chore. Would be cool if openxcom's fastest setting replicated that, or at least was much faster than it is now.

Same with shooting, actually.

On a somewhat related note, is there a way to speed up the Hidden Movement phase? When things are happening that I can't see, are they taking so long because sounds need to play out, or because the program is taking genuinely this long to calculate paths etc?

Offline volutar

• Colonel
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
Re: Faster "movement speed"and "Fire speed"
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 10:52:51 am »
Yeah. You can run OpenXcom on 20ghz CPU(for single core). It will make hidden movement faster. As any other "not that fast as dos" phase.
/irony

Seriously, you can't. Because a)it doesn't meant to be run insanely fast; b) algorithms and data structures are "modernized", multiplatform, thus slower.

Offline Markus Ramikin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 01:16:36 pm »
OK, so no dice on hidden movement.

But are you also saying that the highest setting for soldier movement is already at its possible maximum?

Offline volutar

• Colonel
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 04:40:38 pm »
Pretty much. I think it's possible to increase frameSkip, but naturally it's not useful feature. Walking speed is already making the hilarious step noise. I only think of "instant" speed. But I think it's needed by only few people. Not too useful.

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 08:47:55 pm »
On the related note:

Unlike in vanilla, the projectile hitting/explosion animation speed is not tied to Fire Speed slider. To make them faster/slower, you have to add explosionSpeed: x (where x is -5 to 5) to each individual ammo entry (or weapons themselves in case of lasers) in the items.rul. And as far as I can see, this has no effect on the actual skull-shaped Explosions.

Is it possible to have a global explosionSpeed modifier, and make it work on Explosions?