aliens

Author Topic: another idea - radar range on geoscape  (Read 95137 times)

Volutar

Re: another idea - radar range on geoscape
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2012, 09:50:54 am »
moriarty, what about totally different detection algorithm? Aren't we going to make the same as in original?

Volutar

« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2012, 10:51:04 am »
Okay, here it is.

Base in the NA has small radar, in the SA - large radar. All ranges are rear and actual (taken from rulesets). It draws only largest radar. Color is "random" :)

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2012, 11:08:13 am »
That's cool!

Volutar, can you show me some pictures for zoom in?

I want to see the line (part of the circle).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 11:17:58 am by hsbckb »

Volutar

« Reply #138 on: July 27, 2012, 11:14:24 am »
Currently it's a test, which calculates and draws circle by line segments on-the-fly each frame. It would be better if it use cached coordinates of circles.

And new placed bases of course should have all of radars drawn in hover mode, to adjust position and cover zones you need.

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 27, 2012, 12:16:14 pm »

And new placed bases of course should have all of radars drawn in hover mode, to adjust position and cover zones you need.

So, the hover Mode work for all zoom levels of geoscape and this can really help me to select base location. Thanks for your testing and suggestion.

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 27, 2012, 12:31:36 pm »
I have read the "this is a test" paragraph, but for the final version will the ranges be combined in one visual mass without the overlapping circles?

But then again, how will you know that you have all the earth covered? :)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #141 on: July 27, 2012, 05:14:01 pm »
is the radar range for the small radar truly that large? I never would have guessed. I like this visualization style - it's clean, simple, easily understandable, doesn't clutter the globe... now we just have to choose a color.  8)

Volutar

« Reply #142 on: July 27, 2012, 05:36:14 pm »
moriarty, i need to write custom line function (working with float coordinates), and may try to draw this line semi-transparently.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2012, 02:56:34 am »
Yankes: How is it possible that around 100FPS feels laggy? I doubt that your screen has greater refresh rate then 75Hz. Even "only" about 30FPS should be impossible to see - human eye sees about 25 "frames per second". So there has to be some great error with openxcom :/
Lag I saw was from mouse movements, is jump form place to place without smooth transition. Rest for graphic work fine.

Volutar

« Reply #144 on: July 28, 2012, 10:42:57 am »
Hello once again audience! :)

I've added my own line draw function which work with floating point coordinates, so "curved" things like ellipses and circles look quite smooth. And tried shade altering instead of color set. Notice - on the terminator line where lighting is "in-the-middle" circle may disappear.
Still no circle caching, butt toggling with "tab" with details.

Volutar

« Reply #145 on: July 28, 2012, 10:48:07 am »
Previous 4 screenshots was made with altering after shading, this one was made with altering before shading.
Notice radar line "inversion".

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2012, 11:03:00 am »
I LOVE this last one. the lines don't obscure anything, because they don't obliterate what's underneath. it's even more subtle, but very visible. when will we see this in an official build? :)

Volutar

« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2012, 11:22:58 am »
Slightly changed ocean/land level altering, to make it more subtle still noticable.

moriarty, in order to add this officialy, it need to get caching, and hover function when creating new base.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2012, 11:25:10 am »
Looks awesome to me, good work

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2012, 08:32:45 pm »
BTW, I've noticed, currently there's a mess with UFO detection process in OpenXCom.
- Range units are not the same as in original ufo (in 1/60 of degree I guess, nautical miles), small radar have 1500 units, and distance calculated by great circles, while in original ufo they are using value of 500 and distance is 3d distance between sphere_points in space (globe has diameter of 2048). But for small_radar (500 units of ufo1) this distance will be slighly less than 1700 nautical miles. Actually I can't get why we should use "geodesic" distance for ranges? 3D distance is much easier and faster to calculate, and moreover result is more accurate (as in original). At least every radar range in ruleset could be rearranged for getting same results. https://volutar.no-ip.org/radi.php?val=500 - my converter from xcom distances to real km/nm (you can pass any val, but maximum is 2048 which is 10800nm)

- probability formulas are totally wrong...

And detection should work for every base, not for every radar facility!
UFO detection is "a mess" because I had to write it only based on the few info available in Ufopaedia.org without any access to the original code, much like most of OpenXcom. :P (and most people can't tell the difference anyways). Geodesic distances and nautical miles are used only because they're readily available.

I would recommend posting a separate thread with all your findings on the original UFO detection algorithm so it can be fixed.