aliens

Author Topic: World.dat by Bladum  (Read 30650 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: World.dat by Bladum
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2014, 05:44:54 pm »
Hobbes, try this.

Ah, thanks. I want to test a few things about the polygons.

Offline volutar

• Colonel
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2014, 06:45:14 pm »
Could you add changing terrain for specific polygon via keybord ? It is very time consuming to move mouse up and down to select polygon then move it to change terrain. This is very time consuming.
And how do you imagine that? increasing/decreasing terrainID of selected poly with some shortcut? Because entering N length digital number in some "enter" field could be even more time consuming.

Any plans to add more stuff to editor like cities / regions / countries as Falko editor ? In this case you would edit not world.dat but other files instead.
Nope. Until all these "regions/cities" will be in specific "globe" rules, instead of all this mess of everything called "Xcom1ruleset". I don't want to start dealing with something that is gonna be changed. I don't even want to look into that. Yet.

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2014, 06:52:50 pm »
And how do you imagine that? increasing/decreasing terrainID of selected poly with some shortcut? Because entering N length digital number in some "enter" field could be even more time consuming.
how about this solution:
doubleclick on a terrain number  marks this number
while a number is marked the polygons are changed with single click
i tried more then 13 textures and it seems the gui handles that fine :)

Offline volutar

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2014, 07:11:00 pm »
No it's not conventional way. Mixing "selecting" with "painting" is not very good idea.

Offline bladum

• Colonel
  • Bladum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2014, 07:28:16 pm »
left click = select polygon
right click = move map around

left click + shift key = polygon terrain -> global terrain ID
left click + control key = global terrain ID -> polygon terrain ID

right click + control key = global terrain ID -> polygon terrain ID while moving map around
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 07:29:54 pm by bladum »

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2014, 07:33:49 pm »
No it's not conventional way. Mixing "selecting" with "painting" is not very good idea.
so allow multple selection
CTRL+click adds to the polygon selection
that selection then can be "recolored"
i guess the mixing solution would be easier to implement but i admit mutiple selection is a more used/known ui concept

Offline volutar

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2014, 07:53:34 pm »
so allow multple selection
CTRL+click adds to the polygon selection
Yeah, right. So why don't you use that in your web editor? It seems you're more convenient with "known" UI concepts and programming them.
So why Hobbes failed using your editor?

bladum, I made double click mark "paint" color, and "space" key applying it to selected (Uploaded)

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2014, 08:23:41 pm »
because i have a "one click=set new color method" already there and i dont have a problem "Mixing "selecting" with "painting""
if hobbes wants to give feedback he is free to do it i cant give it for him :)
also i freely admit that the texture editing mode has some issues on the poles and (i was told) the day border in the pacific
since seemingly nobody wanted a world.dat <-> rulset converter that leaves me two conclusions
- nobody uses the webeditor (to change polygones)
or
- everybody is happy how it works and does not need such thing

either way no work for me :)

ah feedback:
the marker for grabbing the the vertices in the world.dat-editor are very small. any way to fix that?

Offline bladum

• Colonel
  • Bladum
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2014, 08:44:33 pm »
@volutar

your solution works, now its quite easy and fast to edit massive areas

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2014, 01:45:21 am »
So why Hobbes failed using your editor?

if hobbes wants to give feedback he is free to do it i cant give it for him :)

Your editor didn't fail, I couldn't just find a way to import a WORLD.DAT file and I was wondering how people where editing that file since I assumed they were using your online editor (and I didn't notice the message where you asked if anyone was interested in the converter...)  :)

--- posts merge ---

Just had a look at both Bladum and Volutar's versions of WORLD.DAT. There are two issues that need to be taken into account for either one, if the new biomes are added:
1) Designing the polygons and recoloring the textures taking into account the new biomes (Savannah, Taiga/Tundra and Urban). I had also thought of adding a Coastal texture (with a shoreline) but now I think it will be too difficult, since it would require a lot of polygon design, plus additional specific textures.
2) Deciding how the original Mountain terrain/texture and the mountain versions of Desert, Forest, etc. will be used. Originally I had considered that the mountain versions would simply be one of the terrain choices that would be chosen randomly on Desert, etc., missions, but from looking at the globe I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to use them as separate textures/polygons. The original Mountain terrain would then be grouped with the Tundra/Taiga biome, although it could still appear in high altitude regions like the Andes or the Himalayas. 

Finally, editing the WORLD.DAT file works great, but it is not ideal to use in a mod since it would require replacing one of the original files, so it would be better if all the changes were made in the ruleset.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:07:42 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline volutar

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2014, 05:05:27 am »
Just had a look at both Bladum and Volutar's versions of WORLD.DAT. There are two issues that need to be taken into account for either one, if the new biomes are added:
nor me or moriarty when was adding details to world.dat, didn't add any biomes, it was just adding of details, nothing more.
Finally, editing the WORLD.DAT file works great, but it is not ideal to use in a mod since it would require replacing one of the original files, so it would be better if all the changes were made in the ruleset.
replacing vanilla world.dat is not a problem. We just need proper "pk3"-like engine to "override" vanilla files without replacing, AS A MOD.

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2014, 05:11:37 am »
you can set an alternative world.dat file
Code: [Select]
globe:
  data: path/to/new_world.dat
(untested by me but should work if i read the source correct)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2014, 03:29:58 pm »
nor me or moriarty when was adding details to world.dat, didn't add any biomes, it was just adding of details, nothing more.

Yeah, but that's the issue when using in the future either your globe or Bladum's for the Terrain Pack: the polygons were designed with the original textures/terrains in mind, but the new version of the pack should have additional terrains/textures for realism and diversity.

I can redesign myself the globe to take into account the future new terrains, I'm just posting all of this since I thought that it would be quicker to use/adapt someone's already existing work.

I've posted on the Terrain Pack thread a list of possible features for upcoming version 3.0. This version will update the Terrain Pack to take advantage of all the new features of the nightlies and OpenTFTD. Besides updating the globe with new terrains, I'm thinking of adding more cities, updating missionZones, varied civilians, etc. Most of this work has already been done by other people, so it's a matter of adapting it.

you can set an alternative world.dat file
Code: [Select]
globe:
  data: path/to/new_world.dat
(untested by me but should work if i read the source correct)

OK, I think I got it. Thanks.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2014, 03:51:02 pm »
Wouldn't it be more future-proof to keep the same indices as vanilla for all the common terrains ?
Even if one texture gets completely deprecated, it's as simple as not using this number at all on the globe.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2014, 05:27:59 pm »
Wouldn't it be more future-proof to keep the same indices as vanilla for all the common terrains ?
Even if one texture gets completely deprecated, it's as simple as not using this number at all on the globe.

Possibly, something to be considered.

I guess it could be more future-proof but at the moment I'm not really seeing a situation (i.e. other mods) where keeping the old texture index would be an advantage. If I put myself on the position of someone who is designing a mod like MiB or Piratez, then I have 3 options regarding the globe:
1) Use vanilla WORLD.DAT and TEXTURE.DAT
2) Use the Terrain Pack globe (modified WORLD.DAT and TEXTURE.DAT)
3) Modify any of these two globes to fit my propose

I'm still not sure of how to add additional textures to TEXTURE.DAT though to how the file is organized, since there are 3 versions for each texture, to be used depending on the zoom level on the Geoscape:

In any case, there are a lot of redundant textures (4 for Farm and 4 for Forest/Jungle). If you simply reassign some of those redundant textures, that might do the trick:
0: Forest
 1: Savannah                     
 2: Savannah Mountain               
 3: Tundra       
 4: Urban       
 5: Mountain     
 6: Jungle
 7: Desert     
 8: Desert Mountain
 9: Polar Mountain
10: Forest Mountain
11: Jungle Mountain