Author Topic: OpenTFTD Question  (Read 21422 times)

Offline CaptainMagicono

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
OpenTFTD Question
« on: November 17, 2014, 06:11:14 am »
Hey, this might not be the right place to ask this, but is there any part of this forum that is being devoted to covering OpenTFTD development? I have tried to play Xcomutiled TFTD, but I have been far too spoiled by the comforts and conveniences of OpenXcom to not cring every time I need to move an aquanaut at the speed of frozen tar.

Thanks.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: OpenTFTD Question
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 01:11:29 pm »
not really, TFTD development is just sort of... happening. i'm rubbish at documenting my endeavours.

Offline CaptainMagicono

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 02:54:55 pm »
Alright, I just thought I was doing something wrong  when looking for any information :P. For the time being though, I don't think I will be able to play vanilla TFTD. I really find it difficult to think others have gotten used to the old DOS restricted UI, so many clicks.... Glad you all have made OpenXcom though, I would probably not have been able to enjoy the original so thoroughly otherwise, thanks.

Offline Guggulf

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 03:07:49 pm »
Alright, I just thought I was doing something wrong  when looking for any information :P. For the time being though, I don't think I will be able to play vanilla TFTD.

Man I know that feeling Captain, I decided I would try to boot up TFTD to play along with SupSuper's TFTD charity stream. Nope, just nope.
Not having all those QoL UI improvements like rightclicking equipment amounts and reordering aquanauts just plain hurts.
And don't even get me started on the God-awful mouse-lag that keeps making me misclick.

Everytime I fire up the old ones through DosBox I'm reminded at just how amazing OpenXcom really is.
OpenTFTD really can't come soon enough, I've been hyped since summer when the first teaser pictures dropped.
Hats off to the entire team for their hard work on the project.  :)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 03:22:59 pm »
I even made a "dark abyss" avatar, to subtly show interest and support in TFTD.

Offline CaptainMagicono

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 03:30:02 pm »
I even made a "dark abyss" avatar, to subtly show interest and support in TFTD.

Looks pretty good.

Offline endersblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 08:28:32 pm »
I will be extremely happy when OpenTFTD comes out :-) Was definitely my favorite of the two.

Offline TaxxiDriver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 03:59:30 pm »
Man I know that feeling Captain, I decided I would try to boot up TFTD to play along with SupSuper's TFTD charity stream. Nope, just nope.
Not having all those QoL UI improvements like rightclicking equipment amounts and reordering aquanauts just plain hurts.
And don't even get me started on the God-awful mouse-lag that keeps making me misclick.

Everytime I fire up the old ones through DosBox I'm reminded at just how amazing OpenXcom really is.
OpenTFTD really can't come soon enough, I've been hyped since summer when the first teaser pictures dropped.
Hats off to the entire team for their hard work on the project.  :)

I'm also planning to play TFTD after the openTFTD 1.0 comes out (I haven't played the vanilla one yet). I'll play the vanilla one first, feel frustrated by some faulty things, play the openTFTD, and become happy :) That's exactly what I did with this XCOM. I somehow got the chance to play openXCOM and I have to say this was one of my luckiest events ever. Just huge thanks to the developer team.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:31:00 am by TaxxiDriver »

Offline HotIceHilda

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 08:03:24 am »
not really, TFTD development is just sort of... happening. i'm rubbish at documenting my endeavours.
So only expect a TFTD portion to the forum to it when it comes out, right?

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 09:56:02 am »
So only expect a TFTD portion to the forum to it when it comes out, right?
I doubt that. TFTD is another X-Com game, and it will be integrated in the project an engine level. While there will be some specific TTFD stuff in the engine, it will be kinda minor.

Time will tell :)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 09:59:13 am »
yeah, we're taking the approach that TFTD is essentially a total conversion type mod.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 10:16:29 am »
Or an alternative IWAD  :D

Offline gerv

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 03:49:21 pm »
I'd love to test OpenTFTD and report bugs, but I can't find any instructions on how to get it set up. Do I just do exactly the same thing as with UFO - compile the code, copy across the data from a TFTD from GamersGate, and start the game?

Gerv

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 04:15:38 pm »
You cannot test OpenTFTD yet, you don't have the ruleset... which is currently sitting only on the computer of the developer(s). I am sure they will let us know once OpenTFTD is ready for beta testing.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 06:00:26 pm »
i COULD commit it, but it's not finished, and as soon as i DO, people will start modding it, and i want to stave that off as long as possible, at least until the battlescape is sorted out.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:02:45 pm by Warboy1982 »