Author Topic: The X-Com Files (FMP+)  (Read 64385 times)

Offline Brian

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: New megaproject, working name: FMP+
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2014, 04:03:16 pm »
In an underground base, aliens appear in the hangar and access lift because they're coming from the surface.  Where will aliens spawn in the two-level base?

If you were willing to make the battlescape even bigger, you could drop a landed battleship next to the base (6x6x4 becomes 6x9x6).  Alternately, aliens could spawn around the edges, or even randomly throughout the surface level (contributing to the difficulty defending it).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2014, 04:11:50 pm »
In an underground base, aliens appear in the hangar and access lift because they're coming from the surface.  Where will aliens spawn in the two-level base?

Basically everywhere. :) Well, not inside the buildings, but potentially everywhere around them (deployment via grav lifts can do this easily). Therefore your best tactics should normally be keeping to the lower level, unless you feel badass enough to stop them on the surface, before they do too much damage to the surface facilities.

If you were willing to make the battlescape even bigger, you could drop a landed battleship next to the base (6x6x4 becomes 6x9x6).

I'm afraid that placing a big ship on the already big map could make it too tedious. X-Com is not a game designed for very large maps, they're just not necessary for the experience and I'm unwilling to make them big just for the hell of it (it wasn't always the case, but that's my current standing). But perhaps we could experiment with it at some point and see what can be done.

As a side note, if we ever add a Battleship to the Base Defense, then we would certainly have to add a Terror Shipc to the Terror Site! And also give it a departing trajectory. 8)

Alternately, aliens could spawn around the edges, or even randomly throughout the surface level (contributing to the difficulty defending it).

Right, precisely this.

EDIT:

Falko did some interesting experiments with 4-layer base, treated like a normal 4-layer map, partly underground. It's interesting, but while it does create the impression of a two-layer base, it doesn't really give us the freedom to build any underground facility under any surface facility, and I think it would be too great a limitation. Sure, you could have various variants of surface and underground facilities, unlockable by various research etc., but that's it. So as much as I appreciate Falko's efforts, I still think we need a two-layer base...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 08:01:11 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline NeXaXeN

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2014, 04:16:55 am »
I love this mod Scorch! I really like all the extra research topics to keep my scientists busy. I loaded the Assault rifle mod (since it has alien alloys ammo as well) and it's downright epic.

Only downside is that with the latest build the combat maps are wonky. My skyrangers spawn inside buildings, as do the UFOs. XD

Only thing I can suggest, in the 'MOAR RESEARCH!' category is adding alien ranks as a research topic (to flesh out the alien society some more). I tried to make a mod like that but I never got it to work. XD

Regardless, I'm in love with the mod. Keep it up. :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2014, 06:24:44 pm »
Great idea, NeXaXeN! I'll think about it.

About the maps, I certainly will fix them soon, when I find the time. And I've been awfully busy lately.

Offline taldarus

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2014, 01:19:48 pm »
Super excited by this concept. Made an account just to post about an observation.

Everyone is quoting CIA, UN, MIB (I am thinking the movie, too new to be familiar with in game MIB), or some other semi-legitimate secret organization. However, let us consider how X-Com really operates?

Sell and trade of living/dead alien life forms?
EDIT: Bio-hazard anyone?
Sell and trade of advanced weapons technology?
 - I mean, seriously, you sell mind probes to the highest bidder?
No regard to international law?
Little to no regard for human life?

This sounds more like a black market organization than anything else. I see x-com birthing from the dredges of society, mercenaries with no moral compass.

Perhaps, over the last fifty years your 'organization' has acquired rare and unique artifacts to the discriminating consumer. Fifty years of experience in tracking, acquiring, handling, and sell of commodities that don't technically exist. When the alien threat becomes more prominent (Phase 2) the worlds leaders turn to your specialized experience to 'handle' the situation discretely.

Mechanics wise:
PH 1-
No initial funding (Yikes! But not that significant at second glance, you just have to watch your budget more carefully)
-You can gain small amounts of 'unofficial' funding from discreet third parties for services rendered as you progress. Perhaps a preset first mission gets you a small initial income...
Advanced network of discreet 'associates'
-You actually have 30-60% global detection, compensated by the fact that you have no interceptors and limited mobility

PH 2-
You acquire international support and aid.
-Funding begins! This means you can't just ignore activity anymore. Before you could ignore 'unwanted' targets and choose for maximum profit, but now you will loose support.
Your network dissolves
-Most discreet criminals know when to not be on the Christmas card list. You loose some, or most of your network.
-It is recoverable, by mission, in ways that show the less legal crowd that you wont turn them in.
You gain access to advanced military resources.
-Combat aircraft is the only real advantage
-Better labs?
-Now you have engineers?

Hope you like some of this.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:31:26 pm by taldarus »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2014, 01:29:41 pm »
Everyone is quoting CIA, UN, MIB (I am thinking the movie, too new to be familiar with in game MIB), or some other semi-legitimate secret organization. However, let us consider how X-Com really operates? (...)

This sounds more like a black market organization than anything else. I see x-com birthing from the dredges of society, mercenaries with no moral compass.

Which is exactly like the CIA and the like work. And with higher stakes, X-Com would probably care even less. There's nothing strange about that.

A game about mercenaries, including alien hunters, would be extremely interesting, it's a good idea, but it would be even harder to make. Plus, seeing as some private organization is dealing with this stuff, it is inevitable that national agencies around the world would be there way earlier, and therefore would probably require various mechanics to include them somehow. In other words, it's an interesting concept, but too ambitious for me now. :3

Offline NebulaM78

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2014, 07:23:13 am »
This... This is pretty much the most ambitious mod I have ever seen. What you are intending to do is basically remaking almost the entire code to produce this mod. If completed as per specifications, this is without a doubt going to be the epicest mod I have ever played. Even I, who renown myself as grammar Hitler, am butchering the language just to display my awe at this mod. I wish I could help, but my coding  skills suck balls i.e. no coding experience at all.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2014, 07:00:01 pm »
Thanks, but at this stage it's not really a mod, merely an idea. But we have to start somewhere. :)

Offline NebulaM78

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2014, 07:32:15 am »
I can't code, but if you need help in other aspects like ideas or beta-testing just ask.

Offline BlackLibrary

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2014, 05:58:44 pm »
Solarus, Your idea still reminds me of the UFO tv show.  But much, much better! 

I believe there is a terrain by Hobbes (I think?) where the Skyranger is replaced by a APC.  I wonder if that can get resurrected?  That would fit perfect with your idea here.  Even if simply to dig up some of the work and you apply your considerably skillz toward it.

UPDATE:  Found it! 

Mudranger
https://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/mudranger/

Thread:
https://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/topic/8065-skyrangerapc-creation-thread/page__st__40
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 06:09:14 pm by BlackLibrary »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2015, 10:57:23 pm »
Just an update: I seem to have actually started working on the project. It's still in early stages, but I have designed much of the new stuff already and have a general idea of how to go about it. Most points from the original post are actually in.

Offline Lohengramm

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2015, 02:09:12 am »
Wow. That sounds cool. I saw your original FMP and honestly I was overwhelmed by it as someone who hasn't been playing original XCOM for about 20 years now ;)

Do you know if anyone has put together something like FMP-light that just has what you would consider the bare essentials like extra maps / fixed lore entries (reproduction) ?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2015, 01:58:45 pm »
Wow. That sounds cool. I saw your original FMP and honestly I was overwhelmed by it as someone who hasn't been playing original XCOM for about 20 years now ;)

Thanks. It was supposed to be just a mod pack, but then it grew and, you know how it is when you start fixing things. :)

Do you know if anyone has put together something like FMP-light that just has what you would consider the bare essentials like extra maps / fixed lore entries (reproduction) ?

Hmm, not really; we have separate mods and then we have the big projects. At least I can't recall anything.

EDIT: A little screenshot teaser.

EDIT: Made sprites for X-Com agents in suits and black leather coats. This will be your starting outfit! (There was a download, but it's been removed for now, since I'm still fixing this.)

EDIT: The horrors you'll meet...

EDIT: Despite their looks, these guys are not good guys.

niculinux

« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2015, 06:23:58 pm »
Very promisin'! May i humbky suggest a couple of names for the mod? My "inputs":

X-com: x-files;
Secret servicies.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2015, 06:47:46 pm »
Very promisin'! May i humbky suggest a couple of names for the mod? My "inputs":

X-com: x-files;
Secret servicies.

The name's already X-Com Files, so you were pretty close. :)

I'm making new enemy factions now (mostly humans). Expect a lot of cheese and some 80's - 90's nostalgia.