aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1107576 times)

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #4110 on: April 16, 2024, 05:02:58 am »
Minor bug: human-made laser smg has bulletsprite of a bullet, not beam.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4111 on: April 16, 2024, 12:29:38 pm »
Minor bug: human-made laser smg has bulletsprite of a bullet, not beam.

Heh, indeed. Thanks!

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
  • Y'all are awesome! Thankful for this community.
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
« Reply #4112 on: April 16, 2024, 06:44:46 pm »
Impassible location (without destroying terrain)

I've come across this now a couple of times, in the Sea Lab Under Attack Mission, the second story of the large facility, I am unable to go to the left around the stairs without destroying the terrain, not sure if this is a bug or by design, but it feels like this is a bug.

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
  • Y'all are awesome! Thankful for this community.
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
« Reply #4113 on: April 16, 2024, 08:50:18 pm »
Yes, I use Excel spreadsheets with formulas for many of these things.

Would you mine share your spreadsheets and other tools that you use to forecast the game parameters?

I'm working a few different sub-mods for X-Com Files and want to carefully balance the changes.

Offline Kieso

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: April 19, 2024, 05:24:40 am »
Hello everyone again, I continue
I already have an Enforcer built. But I realize that it works as a heavy weapons platform. That is, it is equippable by an AI unit. It's a little disconcerting that after using an Alenium Shard for its build resulted in "empty" equippable armor, I thought it already came with an AI unit. It's okay like that?
Thank you

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: April 19, 2024, 06:17:51 am »
IMHO that is clearly intended. By the time you get Enforcer-"armors", you already have trained your AI units a lot. You wouldn't even want Enforcer-"armor" to be tied to an untrained AI unit, but prefer to be able to use in the AI unit of your choosing.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: April 20, 2024, 12:34:40 pm »
I've come across this now a couple of times, in the Sea Lab Under Attack Mission, the second story of the large facility, I am unable to go to the left around the stairs without destroying the terrain, not sure if this is a bug or by design, but it feels like this is a bug.

Thanks, fixed. I don't know what has happened here, but TFTD terrain is weird.

Would you mine share your spreadsheets and other tools that you use to forecast the game parameters?

I'm working a few different sub-mods for X-Com Files and want to carefully balance the changes.

I can share something, but my solutions are extremely simplistic.
If you still want it, PM me your e-mail address.

IMHO that is clearly intended. By the time you get Enforcer-"armors", you already have trained your AI units a lot. You wouldn't even want Enforcer-"armor" to be tied to an untrained AI unit, but prefer to be able to use in the AI unit of your choosing.

Yes, it's intended, as the Enforcer is so good. Without the shard, you'd probably want to replace your entire crew with crystal entities.

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: April 24, 2024, 05:19:36 am »

Yes, it's intended, as the Enforcer is so good. Without the shard, you'd probably want to replace your entire crew with crystal entities.
But this is not the case. In all respects, an enforcer is much worse than a Spartan trainee. But apart from the parameters, the enforcer does not know how to throw, does not know how to melee, and worst of all, does not know how to restore energy.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: April 24, 2024, 09:51:34 am »
But this is not the case. In all respects, an enforcer is much worse than a Spartan trainee. But apart from the parameters, the enforcer does not know how to throw, does not know how to melee, and worst of all, does not know how to restore energy.

You're literally the only person on the planet who has ever expressed disagreement. :D
In all seriousness, I'm not that convinced either, but this is the community's consensus.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: April 24, 2024, 11:37:12 am »
I suppose that in that case I must chime in. I'm not too impressed with enforcers, if you compare them to other (human) units wearing an adequate armor and with spartanism transformation. Spartans are much better at least in many respects (but I suppose there are some niches where enforcers could be useful; one minor niche is the complete resistance to PSI damage type, but at the point you get enforcers that is no longer really relevant).

Also, it can be dangerous to use at least some 1x1 AI units, because even a single laser or plasma shot could roast the unit to the cinders, i.e. also destroy the AI unit so that it cannot be restored. Thus you may need to be careful with these. I'm not sure if I've seen this with 2x2 units, though their bodies could be wiped out as well with explosions at least. I've seen a flying drone completely wiped out by an enemy laser or similar a couple of times, but not sure if this could happen with enforcers.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: April 24, 2024, 02:19:26 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, we'll see what happens.

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: April 24, 2024, 09:34:55 pm »
Is the enforcer's immunity to psi effects an advantage? Even without immunity, all agents were immune to psi simply because I immediately fired agents with psi strength below 90 when hiring. The enforcer could be a worthwhile unit, but it only goes the first 4 turns of the mission. then he just stands in one place.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: April 24, 2024, 10:19:51 pm »
Is the enforcer's immunity to psi effects an advantage? Even without immunity, all agents were immune to psi simply because I immediately fired agents with psi strength below 90 when hiring. The enforcer could be a worthwhile unit, but it only goes the first 4 turns of the mission. then he just stands in one place.

I don't speak of PSI attacks (psionics) but PSI damage type. PSI damage type attacks are used at least by a few ghost units and a few enemy units, like Dr. Hadriex and cultists armed with katapeltes spiritus or manus. In the hands of XCF agents, PSI damage type attacks can be tremendously useful, because they essentially bypass the armor. For example, PSI damage type is extremely useful for live capturing heavily armored MIB units and stealing their armor before you can acquire the armors otherwise.

I haven't taken a full catalogue of what enemies use PSI damage type attacks, but as said this seems essentially a useless niche, because for example all the ghosts or aether cultists are not that bad, especially at the point you get enforcer armor.

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: April 24, 2024, 10:24:58 pm »
If I recall correctly, in my last XCF campaign, enforcers were used as heavy support. Short summary of advantages for me:

Strength to carry heavy weapons, such as the Sniper Gauss
Unable to get wounded, only loss of HP, IIRC.
No downtime if injured.
Immunity to PSI actions

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: Today at 06:18:15 am »
Indeed, Enforcers were the best thing since sliced bread. But then spartans came. That's why I'd argue for them to be rare - "shard" them too.