Author Topic: [TOTAL CONVERSION] [GLOBE] DUNE - Desert world 0.28  (Read 115717 times)

Offline Duke_Falcon

• Colonel
  • *Visit my DA site - click on the small globe!*
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
Re: [GLOBE] random desert world
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2014, 08:30:27 pm »
Sandworms?
Sonic weaponry?
Guild liners?
Sardaukar terrortroops?
Ufopedia calls as "Mentat"?

HARKONNEN DEVASTATORS!!! :)

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2014, 09:09:54 pm »
fwiw: You should use the OpenXcom Extended exe for this mod, it adds the possibility of e.g. PSI damage weapons and other things that might be useful for a conversion.

Yes, OpenXcom Extended offers some great possibilities for fine tuning. Right now I am just trying to add/replace more content, but later I will probably have a look-

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2014, 09:11:17 pm »
Awesome! Some (relatively easy) things to add:
- Fremen Maula Pistol AKA dart shooter: Dart Pistol straight from TFTD.
- Lasguns: straight from X-COM.
- Swords, Kindjals (long knives or shortswords) and Slip-Tips (thin short blades, poison-tipped. Acid damage?)

These things are on my list  8)

Offline Edrick

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2014, 08:07:14 pm »
These things are on my list  8)

Groovie.
Moar easy-peasy stuff!
- Rocket launchers (Fremen use them once in the original Dune book, IIRC). The usual X-COM rocket launcher, or the TFTD Torpedo Launcher for a more futuristic look. Failing that, the fanmade RPG sprite should fit as well (maybe both, with the RPG as a cheaper alternative?)
- I don't recall much about military equipment. So it would be feasible to have Harkonnens (or Sardaukar!) running around in power armor. I guess the X-COM one would also fit (maybe with some visual changes in the helmet, like the Dune II heavy infantry?)
- By the way, Dune and Dune II are a goldmine for sprite stuff. I wouldn't hesitate in taking material from there.
That's all I can think of now. I hope to see more of Dune X-COM!

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2014, 10:09:43 pm »
Small update

Resources for DUNE total conversion:

Features:
- Desert globe
- Some DUNE equipment
- Harkonnen trooper
- Small changes to text and equipment

Credits:
- Falko's mod tools used for globe modification
- Sprites, sounds, maps, ruleset code etc from OpenXcom modding forum:
  - Dioxine (Piratez mod)
  - robin (MIB)
  - Solarius Scorch (FMP)
  - XOps (Xeno Operations Mod)
  - Ryskeliini
  - Chiko, civilian, luke83, ascadix, Aldorn, yrizoud (laser weapon sprites, clips, clip ruleset etc.)
  - Hobbes (Hobbes terrain pack)
  - civilian (sand city terrain)
- https://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page (Ufopedia texts)
- Dune background images from the internet

Changelog:

Ver 0.4
- Added Lasguns and Knife
- Replaced Interceptor by Ornithopter
- Added "Desert mountain" and "Atlantdesert" terrains from Hobbes terrain pack
- Added sand colored city map from civilian

Ver 0.3
- Added Harkonnen race (only Trooper)
- Disabled all other alien races
- Changed small radar to spy network
- Small changes in other equipment

Ver 0.2
- Smoothed edges on the globe
- Fixed Mission zones 3 for terror sites
- Added Stillsuit
- Added Crysknife

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2015, 03:58:17 pm »
Small update

Resources for DUNE total conversion:

Features:
- Desert globe
- Some DUNE equipment
- Harkonnen trooper
- Small changes to text and equipment

Credits:
- Falko's mod tools used for globe modification
- Sprites, sounds, maps, ruleset code etc from OpenXcom modding forum:
  - Dioxine (Piratez mod)
  - robin (MIB)
  - Solarius Scorch (FMP)
  - XOps (Xeno Operations Mod)
  - Ryskeliini
  - Chiko, civilian, luke83, ascadix, Aldorn, yrizoud (laser weapon sprites, clips, clip ruleset etc.)
  - Hobbes (Hobbes terrain pack)
  - civilian (sand city terrain)
- https://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page (Ufopedia texts)
- Dune background images from the internet

Changelog:

Ver 0.4
- Added Lasguns and Knife
- Replaced Interceptor by Ornithopter
- Added "Desert mountain" and "Atlantdesert" terrains from Hobbes terrain pack
- Added sand colored city map from civilian

Ver 0.3
- Added Harkonnen race (only Trooper)
- Disabled all other alien races
- Changed small radar to spy network
- Small changes in other equipment

Ver 0.2
- Smoothed edges on the globe
- Fixed Mission zones 3 for terror sites
- Added Stillsuit
- Added Crysknife

clownagent, have you done anymore work on this? I'm currently considering ideas for a Total Conversion and this is one of the best non-XCom related.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2015, 09:24:25 pm »
clownagent, have you done anymore work on this? I'm currently considering ideas for a Total Conversion and this is one of the best non-XCom related.

No, I did not work much on it. Feel free to use anything from it.

Lately I made the ruleset (hopefully) compatible with the nightly (21.04.15).
It is attached if anybody is interested.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2015, 08:52:22 pm »
No, I did not work much on it. Feel free to use anything from it.

Lately I made the ruleset (hopefully) compatible with the nightly (21.04.15).
It is attached if anybody is interested.

Thanks. I've been looking at the maps of Arrakis published in the books and trying to figure out how to incorporate the universe/story with the UFO engine.
My idea would be for the player to take the part of the Fremen, with each base being a sietch. Nearly everything (stillsuits, weapons) would need to be manufactured, with a few high tech Ixian items being available for purchase through the smugglers. Credits would be in spice instead, of course.
The storyline would take place after the Harkonnen/Sardaukar surprise attack on the Atreides, when Duke Leto is killed and Paul/Jessica escape to the desert. The goal of the player would be to fight the Harkonnen take over of the planet and extermination of the Fremen up until the final battle where the Emperor is defeated by Paul. Research would used mainly to advance the story: Paul first ride of the worm, Jessica becoming a Mother Superior, Paul drinking the water of life, the creation of the Fedaykin, etc.

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2015, 05:02:14 pm »

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2015, 06:03:05 pm »

8)
from

https://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=358

Yeah, that project is a nice place for some pointers. I`ve sunk quite a few dozen hours on that mod and can heartily recommend to try it.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2015, 09:20:50 pm »
Thanks. I've been looking at the maps of Arrakis published in the books and trying to figure out how to incorporate the universe/story with the UFO engine.
My idea would be for the player to take the part of the Fremen, with each base being a sietch. Nearly everything (stillsuits, weapons) would need to be manufactured, with a few high tech Ixian items being available for purchase through the smugglers. Credits would be in spice instead, of course.
The storyline would take place after the Harkonnen/Sardaukar surprise attack on the Atreides, when Duke Leto is killed and Paul/Jessica escape to the desert. The goal of the player would be to fight the Harkonnen take over of the planet and extermination of the Fremen up until the final battle where the Emperor is defeated by Paul. Research would used mainly to advance the story: Paul first ride of the worm, Jessica becoming a Mother Superior, Paul drinking the water of life, the creation of the Fedaykin, etc.

Yeah had similar ideas like playing as Fremen fighting the Harkonnen and Sardaukar, maybe also Smugglers and in the endgame even Ixian or Tleilaxu technoology. I think it's not necessary to stay very close to the books/movies, just take it for some inspiration. However, that is surely a matter of taste.

Two other ideas:
- I think the Spice should replace elerium 115 as precious substance. The player should be able to 'manufacture' (mine) Spice and sell  it to earn credits. The game mechanic would than be that the player will make a few bases purely for Spice manufacturing for credit flow. These must be protected from frequent Harkonnen retaliation missions.
- Missions could stay for long time on the globe and travel time for your interception crew could be much longer (representing travel by foot, worm, ground vehicle). This is no problem since there is no water on the planet. The player should also get reports early in game for many possible missions through a 'Spy network' (meaning global radar coverage). This, combined with long traveling time would force a player tho choose what mission to start and what not.   

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2015, 09:21:11 pm »
Yeah, that project is a nice place for some pointers. I`ve sunk quite a few dozen hours on that mod and can heartily recommend to try it.

I skipped Civ 3-4 (which was a wise choice until Firaxis got me hooked again by including Civ 5 when I purchased the new Enemy Unknown). :D

I just searched my boxes and dug out the whole Dune series (only those written by Frank Herbert, though, I don't really like the others made afterwards) to see if I get inspired.

Yeah had similar ideas like playing as Fremen fighting the Harkonnen and Sardaukar, maybe also Smugglers and in the endgame even Ixian or Tleilaxu technoology. I think it's not necessary to stay very close to the books/movies, just take it for some inspiration. However, that is surely a matter of taste.

Two other ideas:
- I think the Spice should replace elerium 115 as precious substance. The player should be able to 'manufacture' (mine) Spice and sell  it to earn credits. The game mechanic would than be that the player will make a few bases purely for Spice manufacturing for credit flow. These must be protected from frequent Harkonnen retaliation missions.
- Missions could stay for long time on the globe and travel time for your interception crew could be much longer (representing travel by foot, worm, ground vehicle). This is no problem since there is no water on the planet. The player should also get reports early in game for many possible missions through a 'Spy network' (meaning global radar coverage). This, combined with long traveling time would force a player tho choose what mission to start and what not.   

Or the player would steal spice from the Harkonnens by attacking their mining operations. Or water (H20) probably could be the currency since it is more precious than spice in Arrakis. Then you could build moisture traps on bases for credits

I noticed the spy network on the ruleset and it is a good idea.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:52:56 pm by Hobbes »

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [GLOBE] Desert world / DUNE total conversion
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2015, 03:31:05 pm »
Uploaded version 0.6 (at 1st post) with changed file structure and some ruleset fixes to make it compatible with the latest nightly.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [GLOBE] Desert world / DUNE total conversion 0.7
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2015, 12:09:46 am »
Did some modifications and added changed backgrounds to remove the 'Xcom feeling' a bit.
Version 0.7 is attached to the first post.

Ver 0.7
- small ruleset fixes
- added Devastator and Blood Dog (from Piratez mod) as terror units
- added background images
- modified some item stats, descriptions, namings

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [GLOBE] Desert world / DUNE total conversion 0.7
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2015, 12:57:01 am »