aliens

Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE discussion thread  (Read 663356 times)

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [EXE] OpenXcom Extended
« Reply #1170 on: February 09, 2017, 09:04:06 pm »
"You can train your solders basic skills."

How can i do this? Need building? Where is this option?

Think in this way. OpenXcom is a engine that have some improvements, but it is basically "vanilla" Xcom we all know and love. It let you run the game, and yes, some mods too, but only in the framework of the original game mechanism.

OXCE and OXCE+ are modifications, addons, improvements, or whatever you want to name it, that let you do some other stuff that in "vanilla" OXC is not possible. This is, it add some other mechanisms that are not in the normal game. But, you need a mod that use those mechanisms for these to work. OXCE and OXCE+ are not mods for the game, but for the engine.

One example of this is the possibility to add pilots to the ships. It is not a vainilla feature, and is very hard that you will see it in OpenXcom in the short place (Or ever). But OXCE+ add this possibility. The thing here is the word possibility. If you´re a modder, you can use it in your mod, but if you don´t want, you don´t. It is the same with OXCE and training soldiers.

I hope this help to clarify some misunderstandings.

Offline Biggieboy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: February 09, 2017, 09:08:57 pm »
With engine edits, most of what's being added is the possibility to do these things through mods; the mechanics of training soldier stats besides Psi Skill at a base facility are in OXCE, but are not used until a mod defines a facility that uses them.  Examples of mods that do this are Piratez and X-Com Files, since they both run on the OXCE+ engine.  In order to use this feature in the base game, you need to write a small mod that tells the engine you want a facility to train your soldiers.

Thats correct answer!

And need to chang this:

"You can train your solders basic skills."

To this:

"You can train your solders basic skills. (with mod)"

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: February 09, 2017, 09:14:48 pm »
Sorry, I don't see a reason to add " (with mod)." after each line in the changelog.

... because yes, it applies to everything.

Offline Biggieboy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: February 09, 2017, 09:17:46 pm »
Think in this way. OpenXcom is a engine that have some improvements, but it is basically "vanilla" Xcom we all know and love. It let you run the game, and yes, some mods too, but only in the framework of the original game mechanism.

OXCE and OXCE+ are modifications, addons, improvements, or whatever you want to name it, that let you do some other stuff that in "vanilla" OXC is not possible. This is, it add some other mechanisms that are not in the normal game. But, you need a mod that use those mechanisms for these to work. OXCE and OXCE+ are not mods for the game, but for the engine.

One example of this is the possibility to add pilots to the ships. It is not a vainilla feature, and is very hard that you will see it in OpenXcom in the short place (Or ever). But OXCE+ add this possibility. The thing here is the word possibility. If you´re a modder, you can use it in your mod, but if you don´t want, you don´t. It is the same with OXCE and training soldiers.

I hope this help to clarify some misunderstandings.

Im not modder, im just user. So this "You can train your solders basic skills." meaning for me "You can play a game, click th soldier, train it. Or build/research building for training". I dont know how i know need mod. But now understand.

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: February 09, 2017, 09:25:11 pm »
Im not modder, im just user. So this "You can train your solders basic skills." meaning for me "You can play a game, click th soldier, train it. Or build/research building for training". I dont know how i know need mod. But now understand.

I suggest you to read this post, where Meridian explain what is OXCE and OXCE+.
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5251.msg78299.html#msg78299

I hope this help.

And enjoy the game.

Offline Biggieboy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: February 09, 2017, 09:28:10 pm »
Sorry, I don't see a reason to add " (with mod)." after each line in the changelog.

... because yes, it applies to everything.

Its simple, write the first line "all features need mods" or somthin.. Sorry, not everybody modder.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1176 on: February 09, 2017, 09:32:10 pm »
Its simple, write the first line "all features need mods" or somthin.. Sorry, not everybody modder.

Yes, but it was said long ago here that you need to mod in a building to use this feature... But you kept pushing on, so I think we just got confused. Certainly I did.

Let's say it was a misunderstanding.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: February 09, 2017, 09:34:19 pm »

Yes, it's really simple ... there is a huge sticky dedicated post at the top explaining this.

I don't expect anyone to be a modder... I doubt that more than 5% of users on this forum are modders.
95% of people here are users, just like you... just look around with your eyes open.

PS: And I explicitly told you, twice, that you need a mod.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 09:36:42 pm by Meridian »

Offline Biggieboy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: February 09, 2017, 09:37:45 pm »
Yes, it's really simple ... there is a huge sticky dedicated post at the top explaining this.

I don't expect anyone to be a modder... I doubt that more than 5% of users on this forum are modders.
95% of people here are users, just like you... just look around with your eyes open.

PS: And I explicitly told you TWICE, that you need a mod.

First: This thread 1st post nothing explained. (just version number and feature list).
Second. I try to search some info this soldier training. Nothing. So, after write here. But i see its big mistake..

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: February 09, 2017, 09:42:46 pm »
You're really stubborn.

First: Here it is: It's sticky, it's dedicated, it's huge and it's a post: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5251.0.html
It's also pretty clearly named, easy to find, you name it... as I said, with eyes opened please.

Second: This forum is here for those who seek help. But I start to feel that you're not looking for help, but try to troll us.
If several clear answers are not enough, there's nothing more I can do.

Offline Biggieboy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: February 09, 2017, 09:45:24 pm »
You're really stubborn.

First: Here it is: It's sticky, it's dedicated, it's huge and it's a post: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5251.0.html
It's also pretty clearly named, easy to find, you name it... as I said, with eyes opened please.

Second: This forum is here for those who seek help. But I start to feel that you're not looking for help, but try to troll us.
If several clear answers are not enough, there's nothing more I can do.

omfg..  "relax don't do it"

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: February 10, 2017, 11:19:17 pm »
Hey Yankes, what does BattleItem.getOwner return in damageUnit when the damaging_item is the ammunition for a weapon?  I'm trying to get and set the stats of the unit firing the weapon, but when I use getOwner and the damaging_item is a standard pistol clip, all of my tags on the unit and its armor return 0, as if the owner is a null pointer.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: February 10, 2017, 11:36:56 pm »
null, right now owner is clear when clip is loaded.
I will add in 3.7 weapon and shooter to damage script.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1183 on: February 12, 2017, 04:19:08 pm »
Yankes, are you going to include Ohartenstein's code for vertical buildings any time soon? I am using this feature for my mod, and it's rather crucial, so I need it badly. Seems to work fine... :)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: February 12, 2017, 04:28:22 pm »
I will look at that.

[ps]

ohartenstein23 said that will take few weeks to finish all things he plan in that functionality.
When he will be done I will grab it and release with next version of OXCE.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 01:07:51 am by Yankes »