Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE discussion thread  (Read 663843 times)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [EXE] OpenXcom Extended
« Reply #1200 on: February 23, 2017, 12:45:03 am »
I took a break from oxc/piratez and now that im back I noticed some changes. Piratez looks Alot better by the way.

Question I got is I saw a screenshot of a tech tree viewer built Into the game. But there arent any buttons or hotkeys listed for it - how to access?

Also even though its a cheat I cant find the option that turns off destroying items after they're researched. Has that option gone away and only applies to corpses now? I never played the recent xcom games and I prefer the vanilla rule for it (after you take it apart, they put it back together again)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: February 23, 2017, 01:13:01 am »
Question I got is I saw a screenshot of a tech tree viewer built Into the game. But there arent any buttons or hotkeys listed for it - how to access?

Either middle-click on any research or manufacturing topic.
Or press Q in geoscape.

Also even though its a cheat I cant find the option that turns off destroying items after they're researched. Has that option gone away and only applies to corpses now? I never played the recent xcom games and I prefer the vanilla rule for it (after you take it apart, they put it back together again)

This option has been removed (also in vanilla).
It has been replaced by ruleset settings... and it doesn't apply only to corpses, but to anything the modder decides.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: February 23, 2017, 01:21:33 am »
This option has been removed (also in vanilla).
It has been replaced by ruleset settings... and it doesn't apply only to corpses, but to anything the modder decides.

Thanks and Thanks.
Yeah for the latter I guess that makes more sense anyway.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: February 26, 2017, 11:17:33 pm »
I don't understand meleeAlter. I do (hopefully).

- type: MYALIEN_WEAPON  # an alien terrorist
    [...]
    meleeSound: 136
    clipSize: -1
    power: 10
    damageAlter:
      RandomType: 2
      IgnoreDirection: true
      ArmorEffectiveness: 0.1
    strengthApplied: false
    damageType: 7
    accuracyMelee: 100
    tuMelee: 15
    battleType: 3
    fixedWeapon: true
    invWidth: 2
    invHeight: 3
    recover: false
    flatRate: true

..meleeAlter is not used for the kind of weapon above, right?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 11:23:44 pm by robin »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: February 27, 2017, 01:03:47 am »
"meleeAlter" is used for guns melee attacks, melee weapons do not need this and use directly item power and alter damage.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: February 27, 2017, 05:56:18 am »
getting a weird crash with OXCE+3.6 running X-Piratez

Its not so much piratez itself but check this out - rather than modifying the piratez mod I decided to make another one to patch over it.

The big trouble seems to come down to fireSound and hitSound. Because im wanting to change sound effects and alter items to use different sound effects.

Sometimes for seemingly no reason OXC will crash during a mission and say it cant find the sound but the sound id is really weird like 8000ish (for example if the item sound was 55 for the smg guns it will say 8055).

Ironically for the same sound effects it was NOT doing this before and there's nothing I changed to cause it. Other things which were behaving just fine are now messing up.

I even removed the extraSounds section from my mod and - and now its STILL crashing. I looked in my savegame and there's no mention anywhere in there about sounds.

-----

some other things - I noticed if I place resources in the same folder layout as (another mod) it will load those resources from mine instead thus patching over the ones from the other mod

which it worked successfully, but then I started getting errors

-----

The reason I started Doing This was because it was working just fine to have custom sounds defined in a (different folder path) with my own file names for it. Then I started getting this error out of the blue when the medical people went to shoot a Harpoon at me (the harpoon sound was crashing the game).

But the Harpoon was working just fine before that, and I didnt change anything about it to make it screw up.

Also I believe the Hunting Bow in piratez uses the same swoosh sound as the harpoon anyway and I was making shots with the hunting bow without a crash.

>inb4 it would crash while making a sound effect for one weapon, but not crash making the same sound effect for a different weapon

And this had nothing to do with the impact sound for the harpoon - this was the firing sound (crash as soon as the dude used it)

Edit - this is the line from the .log file
there are NO as in I repeat NONE of the sound effects designated in the 8000 range, this error was caused by a gun calling for sound effect 74 (the sniper hit sound)
Code: [Select]
[26-02-2017_22-01-37] [FATAL] A fatal error has occurred: Sound 8074 in BATTLE.CAT not found
[26-02-2017_22-01-41] [FATAL] OpenXcom has crashed: Sound 8074 in BATTLE.CAT not found
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 06:11:43 am by RSSwizard »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: February 27, 2017, 11:20:14 am »
This is all normal.
You cannot use other mod's resources in your mod by reference.

E.g. for sounds, you can use numbers from 0 to 54 (vanilla)... which map to the same indices in all mods. You can also override them using these indices... and this will override them globally. If multiple mods override them, the last one loaded will win.

If you use custom sounds (55+) they will map into a different index for EACH mod.
For example 1055 for piratez and 2055 for your mod and maybe 8055 for some other mod... based on the mod's size and order of loading.
In other words, index 55 is only virtual and always maps to something else.

That's why when you wanted to use piratez's sound 55 (which is actually 1055), you have actually used sound 8055... which didn't exist, because you didn't define it in your mod (as 55).

Little confusing, I know.

PS: same applies to extraSprites
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:27:15 am by Meridian »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: February 27, 2017, 08:49:34 pm »
you have actually used sound 8055... which didn't exist, because you didn't define it in your mod (as 55). Little confusing, I know.

Okay I get it now. So any instance of a fireSound or hitSound that im selecting that isnt vanilla might as well just be a new sound that I provide. Otherwise I might as well not touch the sound it uses.

Thats not bad actually. I think this could work.

Im still overriding 22 (the vanilla bullet hit sound) but the rest I can just create new slot identifications for. It was just me being a little lazy.

Also - you said it applies to extrasprites, im not intending on changing sprite identifications but I do intend on replacing graphics. Having the graphic placed in the correct folder path and name wouldn't cause problems would it?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1208 on: February 28, 2017, 08:20:37 pm »
In order to use the enhanced lighting system, I had to add
lighting:
  enhanced: 7
to the global variables.

However, the documentation suggests that 7 should be default. Instead, 2 is default.

Is it an error in the code, or the documentation?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: March 02, 2017, 11:17:29 pm »
In order to use the enhanced lighting system, I had to add
lighting:
  enhanced: 7
to the global variables.

However, the documentation suggests that 7 should be default. Instead, 2 is default.

Is it an error in the code, or the documentation?
error in code, I made couple of iteration of how encode multiple modes of lighting and I forget to set correct value when I made final version.
All times I used override value for tests and I miss default case.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: March 04, 2017, 12:47:36 pm »
craftWeapons:
  - type: STR_CRAFTWEAPON_TYPE #default config ...
    weaponType: 1 #default value 0.
    stats: #added to craft's stats.
    [...]
      radarRange: 0  #additive bonus to craft stats.
      sightRange: 0  #additive bonus to craft stats.

What is sightRange? Is it used for spotting alien bases while radarRange is for UFOs?
What is the default-vanilla value a craft has?
Is it expressed using the same unit of measure as radarRange?
Sorry for the manyquestions.  :-[

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: March 04, 2017, 01:36:40 pm »
default is 1696 (for ufo is 268), and yes this is same unit as radar range.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: March 04, 2017, 01:51:16 pm »
is it used just for spotting bases?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: March 04, 2017, 05:57:08 pm »
is it used just for spotting bases?
Yest, both for aliens and xcom.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: March 05, 2017, 04:17:11 pm »
The following is making the game crash:
craftWeapons:
  - type: STR_DIMENSIONAL_SCAN
    sprite: 110
    weaponType: 1  # irrelevant for the crash
    stats:
      radarRange: 1304
      sightRange: 1304
I'm using OXCE+ 3.6
The sprite is not the culprit (is is used successfully in another craft weapon).