aliens

Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE discussion thread  (Read 663725 times)

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
Re: [EXE] OpenXcom Extended
« Reply #450 on: July 20, 2015, 11:40:32 am »
Happened to me, too, but i had forgotten to set the medikittype.  :)

Something I am not sure if it is a Extended exe or normal exe thing: Flame weapons no longer do any worthwhile damage. In some older exes my heatray weapons were really usable, right now everything incendiary/heat is useless, except if you add something like TOHEALTH 3.5 to the ammo, which makes them rather.... well, they are too strong and kill everything outright or they do no damage at all.... go figure.

Ah, one thing: Could explosion sounds be made customizable, too. Right now everything from tiny flame greneades over stunbombs to blaster launchers to modded nukes uses the same sound....  :-\
I have the medkit type.

I'm using lots of incendiary weaponry and the damage output seems perfect; and I'm also finally seeing units lighting up in flames with consistent frequency. No issues here.

Well, there are actually two default explosion sounds, one for small explosions and one for big ones. The 'power' value should set which one to use. But of course, custom sounds would be welcome.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 20, 2015, 05:52:38 pm »
Yes, the power of an explosion currently sets the sound that's being played. If I remember well, 85 is the first value at which you get the big explosion sound instead of the grenade pop.

I made a suggestion for customizable explosion sounds here but nobody paid attention (or it's already in the works since TftD will have to have underwater explosions too?).

Maybe Yankes can make it happen for OXCE though.. It would be nice especially for flamethrower weapons, where the current explosion sounds don't really make sense.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 20, 2015, 07:18:04 pm »
I had a weird thing where both the medi-kits I equipped couldn't be used.
When clicking on "Use Medi-Kit" I was returned a red "STR_NO_USES_LEFT" (missing text string?) warning.
I probably made error in "instant" medikits. This string should be shown only when you run out of charges in it, and medikit is "instant".

Happened to me, too, but i had forgotten to set the medikittype.  :)

Something I am not sure if it is a Extended exe or normal exe thing: Flame weapons no longer do any worthwhile damage. In some older exes my heatray weapons were really usable, right now everything incendiary/heat is useless, except if you add something like TOHEALTH 3.5 to the ammo, which makes them rather.... well, they are too strong and kill everything outright or they do no damage at all.... go figure.

Ah, one thing: Could explosion sounds be made customizable, too. Right now everything from tiny flame greneades over stunbombs to blaster launchers to modded nukes uses the same sound....  :-\
I do not touch damages types recently. Behavior should not change.

For big explosion sound, can be done. But first I need squash all bugs reported form last version. I will try finish it today or tomorrow.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 20, 2015, 08:06:56 pm »
For big explosion sound, can be done. But first I need squash all bugs reported form last version. I will try finish it today or tomorrow.
As Arthanor mentions, TFTD has underwater explosions and so custom explosion sounds could be already in vanilla "to do" list . Maybe you should check with the devs before coding things twice. /methinks

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 20, 2015, 11:09:15 pm »
MOOOAAAaar feedback.

1)
I noticed that the very first missile in air combat isn't drawn (shot from xcom crafts). This doesn't seem to happen in vanilla OXC.

2)
Got the attached error message.
For the following custom mission (all the ruleset custom stuff involved):

alienMissions:
  - type: STR_CORP_WAREHOUSE
    objective: 2
    spawnZone: 4
    [...cut...]

alienDeployments:
  - type: STR_CORP_WAREHOUSE_ASSAULT
    [ ...cut...]
    briefing:
      textOffset: -16
      background: BACK01.SCR
      showTarget: false
    markerName: STR_CORP_WAREHOUSE

alienRaces:
  - id: STR_NEUTEK
    retaliation: false
    # OXC Extended options:
    retaliationAggression: -100
    baseCustomDeploy: STR_CORP_WAREHOUSE_ASSAULT
    baseCustomMission: STR_CORP_WAREHOUSE_ASSAULT
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 11:14:11 pm by robin »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 21, 2015, 02:15:53 am »
fwiw: melee reaction attacks already work, I saw that in a recent game, was VERY surprised.
melee reacting to range attack yes, range attack reacting to melee no.

I had a weird thing where both the medi-kits I equipped couldn't be used.
When clicking on "Use Medi-Kit" I was returned a red "STR_NO_USES_LEFT" (missing text string?) warning.

The unit was "on fire" (little flame burning on the unit) when I first got the message while trying to use the medi-kit.
I had used the medi-kits in the 2 previous missions but I really don't think I emptied them both (also normally an empty medi-kit should still work, just having its values at 0).

(Medkit is not the vanilla medkit, but it is 1:1 in ruleset terms, the difference is the main string, which is "STR_MEDIKIT2", all the rest is exactly the same as vanilla medikit).
After checking code, error "STR_NO_USES_LEFT" can only appear if you use new instant medikit and you run out uses.
Did you use "RandomType"? this change how damage is roll.

MOOOAAAaar feedback.

1)
I noticed that the very first missile in air combat isn't drawn (shot from xcom crafts). This doesn't seem to happen in vanilla OXC.

2)
Got the attached error message.
For the following custom mission (all the ruleset custom stuff involved):

1) I can't reproduce it. Can you test it with F8 that will slow animations?
2) This is error with globe mission zones.

Another thing I noticed is that, when something explodes, the colors get "inverted" for a fraction of a second. Like in the image attached (the image is fake, I recreated the effect because I wasn't able to screenshot it, it's too brief).
Don't know if it is exclusive to the Extended version or not.
After looking close on big explosion I didn't find any bug. This you saw was indeed TFTD feature. It made all pixels bright for one frame.

I assume this is a bug with Extended - it affects X-Piratez, but not the unmodified game:

Explosion hits are not attributed to the soldier that causes them for training and promotion. They do get credited with kills though. Tested with the Piratez black powder bomb ("direct fire" grenade), grenade launcher, and standard (prime + throw) grenade.

From some other comments it might affect incendiaries as well.

Version is whatever git cloned last weekend, so probably pretty current.
fixed.

Tomorrow I will publish new version with all the fixes.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 21, 2015, 09:37:00 am »
After checking code, error "STR_NO_USES_LEFT" can only appear if you use new instant medikit and you run out uses.Did you use "RandomType"? this change how damage is roll.

I don't even know what the instant medikit is; and never used "RandomType" anywhere ever. I just switched to Extended, and the -literally- only feature I'm using is the one for overriding the alien base construction. This is the medikit in question, it is the exact copy of the vanilla medikit (changes marked with "**"):

- type: STR_MEDI_KIT2
    size: 0.1
    costBuy: 3500 **
    costSell: 2625 **
    weight: 5
    bigSprite: 464 **
    floorSprite: 464 **
    handSprite: 464 **
    battleType: 6
    invWidth: 1
    invHeight: 2
    painKiller: 10
    heal: 10
    stimulant: 10
    woundRecovery: 1
    healthRecovery: 3
    stunRecovery: 4
    energyRecovery: 10
    tuUse: 10
    flatRate: true

1) I can't reproduce it. Can you test it with F8 that will slow animations?
See attached images. Taken with slow animations activated. Left launcher has 2 missiles, right has 1. As you can see, none of them gets drawn at all, you can't see anything flying towards the ufo.
So the issue actually is not that the first missile isn't drawn, but that during the very first seconds of air combat *nothing* (the cannon doesn't seem affected though, only missiles. duh, this is so strange) gets drawn.
-- edit: it also seems, to me, that the "invisible" missiles don't do any damage/never hit the ufo.
In the following days I'm going to switch back to vanilla OXC to test on there.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:36:27 am by robin »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 21, 2015, 07:24:30 pm »
I don't even know what the instant medikit is; and never used "RandomType" anywhere ever. I just switched to Extended, and the -literally- only feature I'm using is the one for overriding the alien base construction. This is the medikit in question, it is the exact copy of the vanilla medikit (changes marked with "**"):

- type: STR_MEDI_KIT2
    size: 0.1
    costBuy: 3500 **
    costSell: 2625 **
    weight: 5
    bigSprite: 464 **
    floorSprite: 464 **
    handSprite: 464 **
    battleType: 6
    invWidth: 1
    invHeight: 2
    painKiller: 10
    heal: 10
    stimulant: 10
    woundRecovery: 1
    healthRecovery: 3
    stunRecovery: 4
    energyRecovery: 10
    tuUse: 10
    flatRate: true
See attached images. Taken with slow animations activated. Left launcher has 2 missiles, right has 1. As you can see, none of them gets drawn at all, you can't see anything flying towards the ufo.
So the issue actually is not that the first missile isn't drawn, but that during the very first seconds of air combat *nothing* (the cannon doesn't seem affected though, only missiles. duh, this is so strange) gets drawn.
-- edit: it also seems, to me, that the "invisible" missiles don't do any damage/never hit the ufo.
In the following days I'm going to switch back to vanilla OXC to test on there.
"RandomType": you misquote me, that text was for civilian.
And for medikit, I finally find bug in it, logic was right but I forget to init it in rule object and this get random value. In my test env I always get 0 that was correct value.

For missiles. Do you have same behavior with stock interceptors? It could be caused by rule sets. If I get ruleset that cause this I could easy fix it.

Offline begri

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 21, 2015, 07:26:39 pm »
I need the simple files without the installer. Can you attach it somewhere?

I would like to try it on android.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 21, 2015, 07:51:38 pm »
I need the simple files without the installer. Can you attach it somewhere?

I would like to try it on android.
Its pointless, I support only windows and linux builds. It even impossible to compile it for android because android port is based on custom branch of OXC.

Offline begri

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 21, 2015, 07:57:41 pm »
Ok

If it have a mappa common and standard I would like to try it.

The nightly for win need just a copy paste to work. The language file in xcom1 mappa don't work on android I don't know why so for that I use the android build language file.

The files are just files...

But it looks like what the android version know that can accept.

I simple need the files...

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 21, 2015, 09:03:14 pm »
What "files"? Only file I give is one exe. To use it you need use nightly files.

Offline begri

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 21, 2015, 09:05:02 pm »
Omg I had think it is an installer... Sad...

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 21, 2015, 10:26:47 pm »
For missiles. Do you have same behavior with stock interceptors? It could be caused by rule sets. If I get ruleset that cause this I could easy fix it.
Found the culprit, it is caused by very low "projectileSpeed" values for craftWeapons.
I'm using "1" and it effectively delays the appearing of the missile. The missile pops up way after the launching sound is played, looking like no missile/missiles launched at all.
You can check it yourself by setting "projectileSpeed: 1" to vanilla missiles.
This is not an OXC Extended thing, but a vanilla OXC thing.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:29:47 pm by robin »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 21, 2015, 10:45:03 pm »
Ok new bug fix version ready. I hope I squish all bugs this time :)